I'm running tlopo on mint linux (ubuntu) with wine

Thread topic sounds more like a dessert recipe, but I was wondering how many others
are playing the game from a linux box. A search didn't find too many postings on the subject.

This was meant for General and I've landed it mistakenly in Bug. Appologies

Last edited:
Thread topic sounds more like a dessert recipe, but I was wondering how many others
are playing the game from a linux box. A search didn't find too many postings on the subject.

This was meant for General and I've landed it mistakenly in Bug. Appologies

I'm trying to run TLOPO on Ubuntu 18 using WINE. It's rough going, but I've found a PARTIAL work-around (for me at least). Invariably, TLOPO will crash whenever I go from land to sea, and variably during normal game play. Crashes include frozen screens and full-blown crashes back to TLOPO's desktop login screen. Lag is always so tremendous it's hard to enjoy the game.

The work-around requires another computer on the same home-network as the one I use. If both machines are logged-in to TLOPO and on the same TLOPO server, I can reliably play the game on Ubuntu without it crashing at all, although lag is still significant. The other machine on the network runs Windows 10.

Discovering the work-around was entirely serendipitous. I know just enough about computers, networks, and game-play to have tried all the common approaches to these problems, but not enough to know why the game behaves as it does, or why the work-around is effective. WINE has always seemed buggy beyond hope. Do you know of any source for news of a Linux version of TLOPO?

From the beginning, we have strived to make The Legend of Pirates Online easily accessible by everyone in our community. With this goal in mind, we have continued to maintain several versions of our game across both Windows and macOS, as well as other functioning internal test builds of both Linux and Android.
Source

If things I read on the Internet are anything to go by, you might have better luck using OpenGL instead of DirectX running the game through a compatibility layer. The thing about Wine however is it's always slower than running an app natively, just like a virtual machine - but in fairness a virtual machine would likely be faster than Wine.

Until we see an official Linux release, I would just run a VM or dual boot W10 for the best performance. I would specifically recommend W10 LTSC if you don't want any bloat (Cortana, UWP applications, etc) that might slow down your install.

I'm actually already running TLOPO on linux just fine using wine. Performance is equivalent to native windows as I've played it on both. Each machine has pretty good hardware to start with though. I was just curious how many others might be on linux. There's so little discussion about linux here I wasn't so sure it was even ok to discuss or not. Every community has their taboos.

@23aka32
I'm using mint which is a variant of ubuntu, but I'm not on the latest version. 17.3 I think. With required bits installed, all I did was copy over the windows files, and rename a couple of folders and I launch from a shortcut to a shell command. For crashes, I've probably had more weird ones on my windows 10 box than the wine/linux one.

BTW, I like Win10, but I strip out as much as possible. Cortana included

Last edited:
For the record, a couple of days ago I tried to get this thread moved to Tech Savvy and it was instead moved to General Discussion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm actually already running TLOPO on linux just fine using wine.

I'm pretty new to using Linux in general, and also Wine, but I have a laptop running mint and i don't have windows to install on it. If you wouldn't mind, could you give me some more details about how you got it to run? In the thread or in direct message, Please, and thank you for posting about this to begin with, it was hard to find info on it. Just trying to install it as an un-listed program with playonlinux, it would open the launcher but the game would not launch.

UPDATE: Well, I fixed it. I was missing i386 architecture(?), and some OpenGL stuff. Then I found out I probably wouldn't have needed that if I ran it as 64bit in the first place. So I set about trying to do that. And I still haven't been able to. I got the new TLOPO 1.4 where the installer says 64, and I installed it on a 64bit virtual drive, and i set it to run as windows 7 application. But I still get the 32bit warning every time I log in... Happy I got it working at all though.

Last edited:
Worked fine testing it via play on Linux like back in the old days.

Yeah, I'm just kinda dumb and completely new at running Linux. For some reason I can only get it to run 32bit, i made sure i have 64bit wine and all that... And also i get very common unhandled exception crashes while sailing (specifically after hitting a ship with broadsides...especially when it does a lot of damage). Unfortunately I don't have a copy of windows for this laptop to check if the same crash would happen, and see if it's the hardware or not...

UPDATE: Well, I fixed it. I was missing i386 architecture(?), and some OpenGL stuff. Then I found out I probably wouldn't have needed that if I ran it as 64bit in the first place. So I set about trying to do that. And I still haven't been able to. I got the new TLOPO 1.4 where the installer says 64, and I installed it on a 64bit virtual drive, and i set it to run as windows 7 application. But I still get the 32bit warning every time I log in... Happy I got it working at all though.
Could you provide some details on what specifically fixed the issue for you? I am also dealing with crashes any time I engage an enemy on the water. I can never get past that point. I've tried installing the game a number of different ways via Wine, Lutris, PlayOnLinux, etc. I must be missing some of the same stuff you were, I just can't figure out what that stuff is.

P.S. I recently contacted the developers, and it sounds like they are in the process of building a new Python compiler for the game that will include Linux support! No ETA yet, but it IS in the works. --> https://github.com/Pypperoni/pypperoni

Back