Important Poll: February 2014

• Thread starter Shamus The Brute
  • Start date

Will you support a POTCO new game/emulator where past (POTCO) "hackers" have a hand in them?

• Total voters
S

Shamus The Brute

Arrrgh! :ahoy:(cork releases from bottle; Me self taking a quick shot of Rum)!

Curious ... I be in the market (as it were) to incline the acquiesce of this formal "request."

Yarrr, this day be February 3, 2014. :) ~ L O N G have been the days since me ship, me crew, me plunder, and me "affects" have all been scattered about and let us not be forgetting that the pirate-way-of-life for me has not bode too well since September 19th, 2013...arrrgh!!!

- As for me bones, they be pickled and festered by a overwhelming sense of restlessness; a restlessness that not even the likes of scurvy may corrupt. Namely what has vexed me - me hearties - is a question which asks if our past POTCO feelings towards the issue of "hacking" still matters (or matters not) according to the amount of time which has already passed since POTCO's closing?

Yarrr! If ye may be so kind to include yer response to the poll above, ye be doing me this favor to help solve this perplexing mystery ... arrrgh!!! (Where 'hacking' be mentioned, I be referring to the manipulation of POTCO coding and on that subject, let us not be forgetting those POTCO players whom arrrr also responsible for it).

~ Be Ye Warned:

:eek: Yer responses provided within the poll itself will have yer name tagged along with it so unless you prefer to not have your shipmates sea yer response (ye are welcome to 'private message' me your actual response; I will in-turn post an update to the thread, adding/totaling those responses received anonymously [if any] to those figures of data created from the poll itself). ***This is to assure that those responses received by forums members associated with "any" POTCO new game/emulator project will be visible as well with other members' responses.

Additional note: This thread will remained "locked" if posts may lead to unnecessary drama.:) ~ Thank Ye!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it is just my morning self (if so excuse me for not being at full comprehension level this morning) but are you saying would we support a game/emulator constructed by a POTCO Hacker?

Maybe it is just my morning self (if so excuse me for not being at full comprehension level this morning) but are you saying would we support a game/emulator constructed by a POTCO Hacker?

Yes! That is what I am saying; sorry about any confusion. :oops:

I was hoping to actually "lock" the thread itself for posts made to the thread. However, the poll itself would not work if I did so. Therefore, if any drama results I will be forced to lock this whole thread which would deem the entire poll inactive.

Hackers as in.... Players hackers... or Computer hackers? If player hackers, Sure I'd play it. I don't care about me being player hacked.

Hackers as in.... Players hackers... or Computer hackers? If player hackers, Sure I'd play it. I don't care about me being player hacked.

Not sure how you mean 'Player Hackers' but I think you mean 'POTCO Hackers = Python'. Of course this is not that dangerous but it still affects the gameplay of others, just keep in mind those 'POTCO wannabe Hackers' usually turn to 'Actual Hackers' after some time, meaning not only using Python and doing DDoS Attacks.

Not sure how you mean 'Player Hackers' but I think you mean 'POTCO Hackers = Python'. Of course this is not that dangerous but it still affects the gameplay of others, just keep in mind those 'POTCO wannabe Hackers' usually turn to 'Actual Hackers' after some time, meaning not only using Python and doing DDoS Attacks.

As in the Hackers who hack other pirates, I guess I should have made it more clear.

Hackers as in.... Players hackers... or Computer hackers?

Hackers...as in those ex-POTCO players whom had manipulated POTCO's in-game coding (in the past). The term also covers account stealers, key loggers, or DDoS perpetrators. Basically, hacking on a level that was directed at POTCO itself or the community of its players.

Hackers...as in those ex-POTCO players whom had manipulated POTCO's in-game coding (in the past). The term also covers account stealers, key loggers, or DDoS perpetrators. Basically, hacking on a level that was directed at POTCO itself or the community of its players.

Who are the Hackers you speak of?

I was a bit hesitant about making such a poll but...I do feel that this information is imperative to understand for our own selves (as a community) if we are to ever accept each other and to grow beyond the past we had shared at one time from POTCO. Does that make sense to everyone? :confused:

There comes a point to where we must let go of the past and I am interested to know (in general) if we should hold onto certain things that used to matter to our gaming experience or if we should allow certain things to be swept under the rug, so to speak.

The above ^ poll should assist us in figuring this out (and what we may still value).

Let's get this straight.

Modder - Modding is a slang expression that is derived from the verb "modify". Modding refers to the act of modifying hardware, software, or virtually anything else, to perform a function not originally conceived or intended by the designer.

Hacker - A person who uses computers to gain unauthorized access to data.

No one actually hacked in pirates online as far as I know.

People modded. They changed and edited the code to their liking. Could their modding "directly" affect you? Maybe, most likely not. If they did affect you; it would have been by an "indirect" force.

Ex. Player one modded. Game has more lag due to player one. You now have more lag. That is an indirect force that caused player two lag.

Now.. Then answer to the poll (for me) would be:

Yes. If they are just player modders, then yes go ahead. If it hackers, then no way.

Let's get this straight.

Modder - Modding is a slang expression that is derived from the verb "modify". Modding refers to the act of modifying hardware, software, or virtually anything else, to perform a function not originally conceived or intended by the designer.

Hacker - A person who uses computers to gain unauthorized access to data.

No one actually hacked in pirates online as far as I know.

People modded. They changed and edited the code to their liking. Could their modding "directly" affect you? Maybe, most likely not. If they did affect you; it would have been by an "indirect" force.

Ex. Player one modded. Game has more lag due to player one. You now have more lag. That is an indirect force that caused player two lag.

Now.. Then answer to the poll (for me) would be:

Yes. If they are just player modders, then yes go ahead. If it hackers, then no way.

Good to clear this up, but still. Hacking/Modding however you call it was ruining everyone else's fun, which is unfair and not funny at all, only maybe to those super egoists, bad-humored and senseless people who were doing that.

Hacking/Modding however you call it was ruining everyone else's fun, which is unfair and not funny at all, only maybe to those super egoists, bad-humored and senseless people who were doing that.

I guess for me...what I have really struggled with the most (even to this day) is to try and find a healthy way of letting go of not only the frustration but also the "resentment" I have towards hacker modders whom did in fact ruin not only my online experience but other POTCO players as well.

Take for instance both of the Revive POTCO events; the "blockade" and the "island for Email" in-game events. In both cases, the consequence which was felt went much deeper than just lag and did in fact lead to the (on-the-surface) demise for the productivity of each event. Reflecting back to what had developed that day, it is extremely difficult for myself to not become upset because everyone whom had invested their energy and time (behind-the-scenes) towards the organization of such events was directly affected. *In retrospect, they deserved far better treatment from these hacker modders than was directed at them. In their and my own eyes, the game itself was at stake and...well...it just hurts to know that others players had directly targeted us in that manner.

Those are two things, which come to my mind. Then, there were those instances of "disconnection" hacks/mods along with the ship/PVP hack (or mod) where the owner of the ship was defeated and the ship's plunder was completely wasted. *To be certain, it's hard to forgive such things...but...I think what is most damaging to my own effort to want to forgive and that is most POTCO hackers/modders did not appear to have any sense of guilt or remorse towards those things which they had actually done. I know of only "two" instances :) where this is not the case and I have already addressed these individuals and have extended my acceptance of them here on this forums.

lol. I am rambling. However, if this is what it takes for myself (and possibly) others to learn to forgive then I will take the necessary "baby steps" to move beyond the problems of the past and embrace the hope for a more positive future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well seeing the answer to my question being clarified then I would say it depends. If they are just people who modded like some I know then honestly I could care less. I don't really see the difference it would make much.

There are people good with code who didn't mod the game to their preference. Most hackers, however, are immature (attitude-wise) or very greedy. Are you sure you could trust people like them to recreate POTCO and have all the accounts in their control? Also, most of what we call "hackers" are nothing more than hijackers. I myself was a target of one and escaped. If he were a real hacker, he could have easily snagged my account or even personal information and taken my pirates. So, the things I have covered plus the fact that two POTCO remakes are currently in the works sadly brings me to disagree with this. Still, very bright idea!

I voted "yes," because I believe the past endeavors of these kinds of people don't necessarily reflect how well they can manage and put together a game. As luck would have it, not all POTCO "hackers" are bad people.

In my opinion, if there's a game run by members of the POTCO community who are generally classified as "respectable people," and then a game run by those who "hacked" the game, give both an equal chance before dismissing the latter.

It seems like you may be cheating yourself out of a good game if you simply dismiss one made by POTCO "hackers" because of their activities during the game's lifespan without giving the game itself a try.

Back