Discussion Insight into Name Approvals/Declines

Cheysa Finn

Pirate Lord
Ahoy!

I've seen a large handful of posts in the last few months where players are confused as to why certain names are getting declined, especially when they used those names in POTCO. I'd like to shed some light on this topic. Also, I'll briefly touch on website comments.

Our naming guidelines can be found here: https://tlopo.com/help/terms/. These guidelines are used for both pirate names and guild names. We know that not everyone will agree with us when it comes to these guidelines, but please keep in mind that our main goal is to ensure TLOPO's longevity. Every decision we make is based upon that.

In some ways, as some of you have realized, our naming restrictions are more strict than Disney's were. This is because TLOPO isn't our idea. As such, we do our best to avoid stepping on toes and attracting unwanted attention. This is why we do not allow cartoon names (especially Disney cartoons), copyrighted names, brand names, celebrity names, song names, names of musical groups, etc.

We do not allow word merges. A name should look like a name, not a username. Also not allowed are names with special characters. We cannot allow these because the game just crashes. The database cannot process special characters. (Usernames also cause a crash if you made it with a special character.)

Obviously, we do not allow inappropriate names given that this is a game that is rated for children. Sadly, many players have tried to submit names that are quite vulgar. Along this same train of thought, we don't allow names that have a direct link to religion and politics. Those tend to spark heated conversations that quickly escalate into flaming and harassment. There are hundreds of other places on the internet where you can discuss those topics without being censored.

All name requests (and website comments) are manually approved/declined. Nothing about the process is automated. The discrepancies that some have noted are caused by team members having slightly different interpretations of the guidelines. We do our best to be on the same page, but that won't happen 100% of the time because we're human. Given that we are human, sometimes we click the wrong button when working through a name list of 100+ requests. If this is the case with a name that you requested, please don't get upset. I think all of us have clicked the wrong thing at some point in our lives.

When we see a name that doesn't seem to be a bad name at first glance, we do a simple Google search to see what pops up. We actually have magic link right next to the list of names that brings us to that Google search with the name already punched in. Hooray for efficiency!

Sometimes a name will get declined because it has a bad definition on Urban dictionary. Names will also get declined if they look like a misspelled bad word or if they sound like a bad word when said out loud. If you think that going to all of these lengths is extremely ridiculous and petty, please know that many trolls have tried to slide things just like this past us.

Despite the opinion of some, names are not declined just to be mean to a player. We will always have a reason to back up our decision, or else we will reverse the decision and allow you to have the name. All you have to do is send an email asking why - support@tlopo.com.

Now briefly about the topic of website comments in case you've wondered about them: We want comments to be on topic. We will not allow spam. We will not allow swearing. We will reject a perfectly good comment if the username attached is inappropriate. (Usernames are not censored, and many players choose extremely vulgar usernames because of that.) Most questions, except rhetorical, are not allowed. Website comments are not built to be a two-way conversation. If you have a question, please send an email.

I think I explained everything - feel free to ask questions if I missed something. I'd like to ask that you refrain from asking about specific name declines in this thread. Those need to be handled via email. This thread is just for a general discussion.

As always, if there is a topic that you have questions about, suggest it to me.

~ Cheysa

Is there any particular reason why 'Quavo' gets accepted and 'Creaven' or 'Timothy' do not? Obviously don't want to stir up any drama but just wondering.

E: It just feels like there is no consistency when it comes to names being approved/declined to me when I take a look at particular names that people have in the caribbean and the experience I have with picking names and such.

Is there any particular reason why 'Quavo' gets accepted and 'Creaven' or 'Timothy' do not? Obviously don't want to stir up any drama but just wondering.

E: It just feels like there is no consistency when it comes to names being approved/declined to me when I take a look at particular names that people have in the caribbean and the experience I have with picking names and such.
It may be that it is a common name, not sure.

Just checked our records. We have one instance of Creaven coming through which was approved. There is also a handful of entries of Timothy (without anything extra), all of which have been approved. As stated in the above post, if you have questions as to why a particular name you submitted is being rejected, please ask support.

The user with the name "Quavo" looks like it was approved early on in Beta and the reviewer may have misclicked or misjudged. We have since realized the mistake but opted to let the user keep the name to avoid potential issues with public relations and general confusion (having a name for so long and then having it removed would not sit well). We try to catch mistakes as soon as possible, but things do at times slip through the cracks (uncommon, but it happens).

Cheysa, I'm just going to show appreciation that you took the time to write up a fair, clear, and informative overview on naming.

I think everyone else here favors policies and procedures that support the game's longevity. Most would also understand that the world of copyright and public domain considerations are lawyer-ly in the extreme and we're all just trying to enjoy TLOPO without incurring undue scrutiny or wrath.

edit: that said my new character named "Bear$$rulePAckerZ" is in the works, just sayin :high5:

D / RD

Last edited:
Cheysa, I'm just going to show appreciation that you took the time to write up a fair, clear, and informative overview on naming.

I think everyone else here favors policies and procedures that support the game's longevity. Most would also understand that the world of copyright and public domain considerations are lawyer-ly in the extreme and we're all just trying to enjoy TLOPO without incurring undue scrutiny or wrath.

edit: that said my new character named "Bear$$rulePAckerZ" is in the works, just sayin :high5:

D / RD
Thank you for the encouragement :)

Thanks for taking the time to explain all of this! I've had names be rejected, and now I understand why. Even if some policies seem strict, I'm sure we can all agree they're necessary if they'll help keep TLOPO up and running for a long time to come.
:cheers:

• I know your probably tried of hearing from me by now,but is there any way of getting the guild name The Circle unglitched? We started with that name as founders just over 10 years ago it would be nice to have it back. Once again thank you for your time. Nate Badbain and all the members of the Circle

• I know your probably tried of hearing from me by now,but is there any way of getting the guild name The Circle unglitched? We started with that name as founders just over 10 years ago it would be nice to have it back. Once again thank you for your time. Nate Badbain and all the members of the Circle
Please send an email to support@tlopo.com with your request.

Thank you Cheysa Finn But I already did email them several times. the name has bin glitched since we left alfa. just wishful thinking​
Then I'm afraid what Support replied to you is the end of the matter. Sorry to hear about the glitched name.

This is a great post! It is very well written, direct, and thorough.

I had a name declined and didn't understand the problem. Then someone explained to me that what I had requested was actually a huge brand name in another country! I had no idea! Once that was explained, I just submitted another idea.

Thanks Cheysa :thanks:

Thank you for the insight into this process! It is nice to see the inner-workings once in awhile!
I have sent an email to support for a little deeper insight on a particular case of mine haha.

Again, thank you for all you do, Staff :)

Back