Is anyone playing on a computer with 4 MB of RAM?

Romp

Sea Legs
I'm thinking about returning to the game but I will need to buy a new desktop computer. The page showing requirements says minimum of 2 MB and suggests 8 MB or higher. Does a person with 8 MB do so much better than a person with 4 MB? should I spend extra money to get 8 rather than 4?

Does a person with 8 MB do so much better than a person with 4 MB? Should I spend extra money to get 8 rather than 4?
I'm pretty sure that you mean GBs of RAM
From my personal experience, I can tell you that TLOPO could become quite a memory hog based on what activity you're doing in-game. As we speak, I have 2 browsers (2 tabs-each), one collaboration tool and TLOPO (standing still inside a cave ~1GB) opened -- & I have already exceeded 4GB of RAM. (Windows 7)

That being said, I think that 4GB barely gets the OS running. Fire up a program or two and you'll be at limit. If I were you, I'd go with 8GB.
If you'd like to play the latest game titles alongside TLOPO you might as well go for 16GB of RAM. It's more expensive, but you could always add a stick later on (2x8GB)

Welcome back Romp! :high5:

Definitely go for 8GB if you can. 4GB is just barely enough to run windows and a simple browser nowadays. That being said TLOPO can only use ~4GB of ram since it is a 32 bit application. However, if you go for 8GB that would leave 4GB for your OS and any other programs and then 4GB for TLOPO to use. 4GB of system memory would leave you starved on resources and lead to more crashing and potentially your computer freezing up. It's important to know that RAM doesn't typically contribute much to FPS though, that would be the GPU and CPU.

Thanks, I should have typed GB and also mentioned RAM.
You may use thread tools (on the left side below your thread's name) to amend it's title as well as the "edit" tool below your post to fix it's segments.

To further clarify, I'm not saying it's impossible to run TLOPO under 4GB. It may however (given the situation) start to make use of your pagefile/SWAP and thus slow down your system's overall performance until memory is freed (this effect should be less significant on systems with SSDs)

Perhaps 4GB of RAM could make sense if someone is using a lightweight OS like a flavour of Ubuntu Linux (i.e. Xubuntu) where the system itself only requires ~700MB of RAM to power itself up. Then again, I still believe that 4GB of RAM has started to show it's age in today's computing.

Most computers that you buy these days come with 8 GB. So check around for sales. You will want at least 8 GB if you are buying one now. I have 12 GB at the moment on my laptop and 16 GB on my desktop. There were sales running where I got extra Ram each time.

I suggest when you get the time or cash go out and buy a 4gb stick of ram RAM and upgrading your computer. I have 8 on mine and can run the game, a few tabs,and Spotify easily.

TLOPO can only use ~4GB of ram since it is a 32 bit application.
According to one of the messages that appeared on the TLOPO System Status page, TLOPO will be moving to 64 bit eventually. So it should not be too long before we can take advantage of larger RAM capacities.

Soon

According to one of the messages that appeared on the TLOPO System Status page, TLOPO will be moving to 64 bit eventually. So it should not be too long before we can take advantage of larger RAM capacities.

Soon
If I were to guess that move is likely indefinitely postponed. The only real reason they were moving to 64 bit support was because Mac systems are eventually phasing out 32bit support. However, with the more recent announcements that Mac is dropping OpenGL entirely there's no reason to keep supporting Mac at this point, and therefore very little push for 64bit. Though, I could be wrong.

If I were to guess that move is likely indefinitely postponed. The only real reason they were moving to 64 bit support was because Mac systems are eventually phasing out 32bit support. However, with the more recent announcements that Mac is dropping OpenGL entirely there's no reason to keep supporting Mac at this point, and therefore very little push for 64bit. Though, I could be wrong.
You may be right, but I believe that message appeared after they had heard about Apple dropping OpenGL. I am not sure though.

If it wasn’t too much extra work it would be nice for them to support both 32 and 64 bit so that people on older hardware can still play.

I was playing on a laptop with 4GB RAM and it was working fine (windows 7 64 bit on a Dell Inspiron 1750), but I went on ebay and upgraded to 2 4GB modules and it was remarkably better. Cost me $12 each for the RAM, but it was worth it!

Back