Question Is it canon?

Kloe

Pirate
Hello POTC Lore Enthusiasts.

So, I know that POTCO takes place between POTC 1 & 2, but is it considered canon? In other words, did it actually take place or is it in a separate universe?

Hello POTC Lore Enthusiasts.

So, I know that POTCO takes place between POTC 1 & 2, but is it considered canon? In other words, did it actually take place or is it in a separate universe?

Well, the lore is actually kind of up in the air. If I had to place it, I would say that POTCO (at the time of the BP) took place between 1 and 2, but would most likely advance as the game progresses.

I would say the canon is more that POTCO is in its own universe however, as the BP crew did not exist in the movies. The timeline would be fitting with the movies, but the actual events would contradict them ;)

Thanks. I always wanted to see a movie with Jolly Roger. Guess it'll probably never happen.

Hey, this topic actually gets more and more interesting the deeper you look into it. There was most recently a thread in August 2012 you may find interesting here. (warning: movie spoilers)

In short, you're absolutely right -- the game was originally set between the first and second movie, however later content was added on as part of development efforts to tie in the movies with the MMO. As a result of this, POTCO is not strictly canon to the POTC movie universe, but rather a set of loosely related characters/events taking place in an independent timeline from the film(s).
But the Queen Anne's Revenge is in it, the Black Pearl is confiscated, there is a whole new villain with enemies that don't exist in the movies. It just doesn't really follow a story of the movies. It's just set in the same world.
source alternatively you could click the up arrow but not many people know that

@Marina Thanks for sharing that thread. Interesting read. I think it's settled then that POTCO takes place between 1 and 2, but in a non-canon universe.

Back