Discussion Is it Time for a True Enemy Ship of the Line?

Having only been playing TLOPO for a few weeks, even I noticed that enemy ship of the lines, or SOTL, aren't really that much of a credible threat unless there Battle-Royale due to there explosive broadsides. Personally, I think it would be a good idea to buff Tally-Hos amount of guns to a true SOTL forth rate due to historical accuracy, making the game a bit more challenging, and diversity.

I realize this being a movie based on a historical fiction timeline takes some liberties upon historical accuracies, but it feels quite odd to see a ship so large and only have 36 guns, 26 on the broadsides, 13 on each side... and only 12 on the top deck, 6 on each side respectively. A real true SOTL, has at least 60 guns. normally armed with 64 but I don't think four rear cannons will have much practical use in TLOPO. That dinky little brig or frigate (not the war variants) you have? the top deck of a SOTL only has two extra cannons.... just why? Adding additional cannons to the top deck and extra broadsides should help instill that fear factor of being outgunned, out matched, and a pirate on the loose being chased by the best there is to offer. Seeing a forth rate ship in only a lowly sixth rate ship should instill fear in you and be a major threat, seeing cannons and timbers flying about, your ship taking in water, masts coming down all around, a true threat to behold. The SOTL needs to be its true counterpart for this to happen.

Another point I wish to elaborate on is more gameplay related, its about challenge and unit diversity. Right now Tally-ho is normally cast aside as a weak war ship or a weaker version of Battle-Royale. It doesn't have that same danger factor or feeling like a true end game unit that if your not careful your going to be sent to davy jones locker, that feeling like this is a highly elite or advanced boss, the final evolution of enemy units, the navy going all out to sink you. You're free to sceedattle about on the decks, taking full broadsides and repairing to full without a scare or thought in the world of death approaching and greeting you at the front door. It should bring roughly the same amount of damage as a Battle-Royale. Why have two different ships but one is a significantly degraded variation of the other? Having additional cannons will make it stand out a bit more, without it being a exact copy and paste of Battle-Royale and making you maneuver a bit more with the added cannons. A bit of oomph and firepower and making material runs a bit different as you have to combat a different enemy. How many times have we been sunk by Tally-Ho? honestly? probably next to zero.

A warship should instill fear to a pirate, with overwhelming firepower, damage, and armor to add a bit of challenge to a already relatively smooth sailing material run.

Back