Discussion Is Silk the Canvas of Rare Mats?

C

Crashalot

We all know well the usefulness of canvas from regular ship mats. But is silk the same thing for rare mats, just a filler item where you wind up with enough to get the authorities thinking yer a silk smuggler?
I know, someone is just itching to tell me they're both used for rigging upgrades, but seriously, not in the quantities everyone gets them.
I have been running for rare mats only for about 30 or 40 runs in the last 2 or 3 days, which is almost impossible mind you, because the loot system will "gift" you regular mats randomly (ask me about this if you don't understand it), even if you manage to avoid shooting and sinking your hunter, and I have enough silk to corner the market (just like I have enough canvas to quit pirating and become a sail maker...).
Of course, I am running for rare mats because I need those few rare mats that matter, oak and steel, yet even with a near perfect rare mat run, I get as much steel as I would from a normal mat run, with 2 or 3 rare mat chests.

Here's but a few screenshots of rare mat runs, and the paltry mats that accompany them...

screenshot_2017-08-15_00-41-42.jpg
screenshot_2017-08-14_20-22-26.jpg
screenshot_2017-08-14_13-35-15.jpg
screenshot_2017-08-15_00-44-15.jpg
screenshot_2017-08-14_20-24-46.jpg
screenshot_2017-08-13_03-47-02.jpg

It absolutely is. Both the rigging materials seem to be more common than anything else, and 1/100th as useful. They seem to be weighted in favour of the fabrics, and then the woods, and iron coming in last. It's possible that's just confirmation bias, but basically everyone I've talked to about my desperate need for the metals agrees.

Back