Is there gonna be discussion of the Test Server on the forums?

Couldn't there be test profiles that could just have max stats ( nades, etc ) for testing purposes? That seems pretty convenient if it's for testing large performance-affecting issues such as withers, large sailing groups, and sieges in sizeable groups.

Also with the mention of ''higher graphics'', how does it compare to the current high graphics mode? ( like having high and medium graphic settings, I run on a fairly powerful system and I tend to average 20-30fps, and on medium, I only get like a 2 fps difference so it's not even really worth it changing to medium.

Couldn't there be test profiles that could just have max stats ( nades, etc ) for testing purposes? That seems pretty convenient if it's for testing large performance-affecting issues such as withers, large sailing groups, and sieges in sizeable groups.

Also with the mention of ''higher graphics'', how does it compare to the current high graphics mode? ( like having high and medium graphic settings, I run on a fairly powerful system and I tend to average 20-30fps, and on medium, I only get like a 2 fps difference so it's not even really worth it changing to medium.
im going to try and make a comparison video showing this I think. not quite sure yet if I will though. The graphics certainly do look slightly better, but the changes obviously aren't massive

The issue with creating temporary, volatile profiles that have max pirates is that testing doesn't just imply what we ask our testers to test. For instance, me personally, I was running through some of the weapon upgrade quests last night via Test Server, and there were a number of issues, from collection, to text and typos, and more. This is one of the reasons that we asked our testers, among others to start from Level 1. (Obviously not with a base game, all activities have a permanent 300% EXP Multiplier so that the grind is nowhere near as egregious as it is on Live.)

Xenpurgisnacht
Buccaneer

41 minutes ago
Roger-Daniel
Notorious Pirate

35 minutes ago
im going to try and make a comparison video showing this I think. not quite sure yet if I will though. The graphics certainly do look slightly better, but the changes obviously aren't massive

In a side-by-side comparison, you will catch quite a few differences in graphical quality between how the live server currently looks, versus what it will post-Pypperoni. On that note, optimizations are currently one of the top things that are being worked out, and most players should see around a 50% increase in framerate compared to what they're currently running.

More on visual comparisons later.

Here's a video showing some of the performance increases I personally get. Sorry the stats are a bit small, I'll fix that for any future videos. More of a test video to see how the format can improve. I plan to do some for more areas and showing more situations. I'm pretty much 60fps+ average which is acceptable for me, the issues now seem to be the mins which are still quite low. I don't show stats like 1% mins or 0.1% as in my testing they were always the same as the min. However there are noticeable stutters much the same to Prod when loading new areas, (seems to be NPCs for the most part).

Here's a video showing some of the performance increases I personally get. Sorry the stats are a bit small, I'll fix that for any future videos. More of a test video to see how the format can improve. I plan to do some for more areas and showing more situations. I'm pretty much 60fps+ average which is acceptable for me, the issues now seem to be the mins which are still quite low. I don't show stats like 1% mins or 0.1% as in my testing they were always the same as the min. However there are noticeable stutters much the same to Prod when loading new areas, (seems to be NPCs for the most part).
Very nice. But what stat program are you using? And does the stat program add any lag to a game that you know of? Maybe it's minuscule so it's not a factor. And as long as I've had the game on my computer, there has always been a glitch/hiccup whenever any npc or player comes into the scene. Always. Distinct stutter or stop for a nanosecond basically when anything not scene related is appearing. Only when active sprites form as I travel.
And how the heck do you open and close a container in a fraction of a second. Is it the new esc key added to closing containers? Obviously you weren't taking anything at the time.

Very nice. But what stat program are you using? And does the stat program add any lag to a game that you know of? Maybe it's minuscule so it's not a factor. And as long as I've had the game on my computer, there has always been a glitch/hiccup whenever any npc or player comes into the scene. Always. Distinct stutter or stop for a nanosecond basically when anything not scene related is appearing. Only when active sprites form as I travel.
And how the heck do you open and close a container in a fraction of a second. Is it the new esc key added to closing containers? Obviously you weren't taking anything at the time.
MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner are the onscreen stats, shouldn't affect the game much if at all. The game isn't really starving for resources as you can see its only using around 30% CPU and 10% GPU, and the programs are pretty lightweight. If they do affect anything it would have been affecting both instances so the comparison still stands. All the same programs were open in both tests. It's been confirmed to me by a developer that one of the main sources of stutters is infact NPCs and player characters (since they both share the same underlying code), and they are looking into ways to optimizing it.

Almost every single loot container I open in that video I hit "Take all" from which takes all the loot you can carry and closes the chest at the same time (because I'm still very low level and wish to sell everything I can for gold). I have my mouse cursor hidden in the recording so you don't see that.

I see in the release notes they're increasing the viewing distance, but also might tone it down.
I would like to see it as a graphic setting the user can set and let the user decide how much they want to work their system. I'd rather the staff doesn't decide what they think we should see, or what is good for our systems. Every system is different, and this seems like one of those settings the user should be allowed to decide if given the chance.
If this improves the seeing of objects and also the ambience even if it drags on the system by choice, it's got to better than now as it is.
Maybe ships won't pop in and out of thin air, and loot containers can be seen in a reasonable distance there wouldn't be a reason to change loot sparkle color. There isn't really a way of knowing if some visual is done on purpose for a reason until the staff mentions something.

Back