Is this game worth it?

Is this game fun, worth it, and works well?

• Yes Jack of course it is

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • Jack you fool you posted this in a place where only LOTRO fans hang out!!

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • No its not worth it and TLOPO is better

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Jack Cannonskull

Pirate Lord
Hello Pirate mates I was just thinking about downloading this game. I am a huge Lord Of The Rings fan anyways :) So I did try downloading it once and it was really really! slow and laggy so I deleted it soon after. My computer was really bad back then so it might work better now though. So please answer the poll as well as please comment and tell me what the features are, how the game works, and what the point is.

I used to play it and loved it, but then I stopped for about 6 months and when I came back I realized how difficult it was to get in to, since it is very complex and I was level 60. It's also actually pay to play since to have the quests for most of the areas you need to pay. Definitely a good game though but it's very complex.

I used to play it and loved it, but then I stopped for about 6 months and when I came back I realized how difficult it was to get in to, since it is very complex and I was level 60. It's also actually pay to play since to have the quests for most of the areas you need to pay. Definitely a good game though but it's very complex.
Yeah I get what you mean abut "complex" for the 5 minutes I played the first time I was SO confused I had no idea what it wanted me to do or why

Great game, yes much to do and you might get confused, but try it out for a whole day and you'll start to get the hang of it. Yes it does crash and lag pretty bad sometimes but if you're an Original fan, you'll love it and deal with it as most of us do. Remember, it's still in Beta so gonna have it's issues.

I started Lotro the night Potco closed. I've been there since. Well, since Tlopo went into Beta I've not been to Middle Earth enough, because my time's been here. I have a large kin there, so I try to check in there every couple days since Tlopo is running.

It's a great game, but it's a totally different type of game play that Potco. Most pirates I know that attempted to play Lotro didn't stay with it.

A nice thing about Potco and Tlopo is that you can go to a boss with your guild or friends of all levels. to hang out and loot. In Lotro the areas are dependent on your level, and there aren't random bosses you can go to for looting or xp.

Potco and Tlopo are much more of a socializing game.
Lotro has a lot more solo quests and objectives.

I enjoy them both, but I'm just adaptable, lol.

I started Lotro the night Potco closed. I've been there since. Well, since Tlopo went into Beta I've not been to Middle Earth enough, because my time's been here. I have a large kin there, so I try to check in there every couple days since Tlopo is running.

It's a great game, but it's a totally different type of game play that Potco. Most pirates I know that attempted to play Lotro didn't stay with it.

A nice thing about Potco and Tlopo is that you can go to a boss with your guild or friends of all levels. to hang out and loot. In Lotro the areas are dependent on your level, and there aren't random bosses you can go to for looting or xp.

I played LOTRO a lot, I got up to over level 60 but then I stopped playing for a while. I tried to get back into it recently but I found that it was so difficult to learn about all of the mechanics again as well as the new ones that they added it.

I played LOTRO a lot, I got up to over level 60 but then I stopped playing for a while. I tried to get back into it recently but I found that it was so difficult to learn about all of the mechanics again as well as the new ones that they added it.

Aww, if you liked the gameplay you should stick with it maybe. (not over Tlopo though, lol)
I have 5 mastered alts, and it's a lot of fun! Ehh mechanics.. as long as you're having a good time, once you play enough it just becomes natural. No need to memorize mechanics imo. Unless you're doing serious raids and even then, too bad if folks are critical.
Their pvp is fun too (monster play).

I thought LOTRO was shut down? Did it have a come back?
It wasn't shut down...?
LOTRO never shut down. As a matter of fact, they just did another update.

Hello Pirate mates I was just thinking about downloading this game. I am a huge Lord Of The Rings fan anyways :) So I did try downloading it once and it was really really! slow and laggy so I deleted it soon after. My computer was really bad back then so it might work better now though. So please answer the poll as well as please comment and tell me what the features are, how the game works, and what the point is.
To answer your question Jack...

The game is definitely worth playing. The graphics are incredible, and the quests go on forever.

I'm also debating getting into it, as MMOs are a significant time investment...this helped though, so TY!

I was encouraged, some time ago, to join LOTRO forums and so if I arrive there someday...I'll let you know. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I've played LOTRO since I stopped playing POTC back in 09. I played it continuously achieving levels 65 and 75 before taking a break to play Minecraft with my daughter. Minecraft was a simple game that can be complex with some of the redstone creations, but all in all there are only a few mobs to deal with. I went back to Lotro and played to level 105 and it does get confusing at times with the changes and updates. Now with added character classes and races the level goes to level 115, I believe. I am still only level 105, but I have several toons in the 70's.

The lag issue is most noticeable around the new entry areas ( Bree, Thorin's Hall, and the Elf area, sorry forgot the name) and settles down quite a bit once you get away from the main hubs. The game became a lot laggier after going free to play with ad bots that appear periodically after achieving level 5 so they can enter the main gaming servers.

As for content and free to play, yes, there are toons that claim to have made it all the way through the game without having to pay. However, you much purchase the new areas as you come to them to get the quest packs for the area. Supposedly you can follow the book quests throughout all of the areas, but as with any other games, there are ways around paying for all of the advancements. Questing can earn Turbine Coins, which are the coins used to purchase the quest packs. These can be purchased for cash, or simply earned through questing, and there are regular specials offered at the store to increase the coins for each purchase.

Crafting is a lot of fun, Player money is easy to come by, my most recent character has 410 gold after a little over a month of playing thanks to farming ores and skins and selling them at the auction house. The newest High Elf race has some sorely needed changes to the actions such as sliding down an embankment and rolling at the end rather than the breaking of a limb of the other toons. Some of the attacks have also had the actions changed.

All in all, I recommend Lotro to anyone who has the time to play a game. The graphics are good, the play is fairly easy to understand once you get into it, and maxing out the equipment is not necessary to have fun. This is not a sit-down and play for five minutes and understand everything about the game. I know people who have taken over a year to get the characters to level 105, now there are books that can take you straight to level 105, however it doesn't give you all of the trait points and skills so a lot of grinding is still needed.

I hear ya, Started LOTRO right after POTCO closed and lived there until Beta brought me back to the seas. It is much more complicated but can also be played in many more ways. I was Free to Play only and still had plenty of fun with max level toons up until last year.

The biggest concern for me was lag. Certain areas after level 100 had so much lag it made parts of the game unplayable but I have an old and slow machine.

The biggest concern for me was lag. Certain areas after level 100 had so much lag it made parts of the game unplayable but I have an old and slow machine.

Ahoy Fortune! I've heard people say that Tlopo was working better on older machines. I'm not sure if that's true now, but I heard that from a few folks a while back. Lag this week was pretty bad for me at times and a lot of people I know. I was fishing, and when I teleported to the guild I had my fishing pole still in hand, lol. I heard that a bunch of people were walking around with their fishing poles.

I hope lag isn't too bad for you!

Back