Discussion Jack Sparrow

FlyingRum

Buccaneer
If they expect to reboot the same movie series without the main character, they have to reboot the movies as a entirely new cast, with a entirely new premise. They have proven ages ago with the first set of movies, that they can in fact make good pirate movies. But the problem is they are not using any of the good writers and directors from the original ones.

If they continue on the actual Pirate of the Caribbean brand of movies without him then its essentially blasphemy.

What do you all think? We didn't even get to see a finale/end to Jack Sparrow's character arc.

This is a real shame..

This thread should be relocated to the movie category but, I do appreciate someone bringing this up and wanting to talk about it. Below are just my own thoughts (bulleted so I don’t just ramble):
  • I agree the loss (or any kind of misplacement) of the “Jack Sparrow” character remains a huge change to which all POTC fans must now learn to accept
  • It is not unlike Disney to feel the need to want to revamp a property of theirs (all for the sake of recapturing the ‘magic’ of the Disney brand & machine with hope of going-to-the-bank too, so to speak
  • If the above ^ point didn’t stress this enough, Disney thrives also on change rather than consistency. (Getting rid of ‘Jack Sparrow’ sparks their creative juices to which they don’t feel so boxed-in as far as [future] film, storyline)
  • Johnny Depp is aging and, it’s becoming noticeable. (For Disney to both capture and recapture interest towards future POTC films, Depp is evolving more like the character ‘Teague’ rather than some bad boy pirate to which the character ‘Sparrow’ previously assumed)
  • Disney is explicitly trying to market the POTC franchise more towards various Asian countries (to which the franchise itself and [POTC] interest have recently ‘boomed’ in comparison to other film audiences)
  • Disney giving Sparrow now “the bird” only permits them more opportunity to reintroduce his legacy, at some point again, further down the food chain if they so choose to reintroduce him. **Think soap opera strategy here and ironically, it is a strategy that has proven effective!
SOME GOOD NEWS: The absence of “Jack Sparrow” in future POTC films (I feel) works entirely to TLOPO’s developmental advantage because of Sparrow’s heavy presence within POTCO’s game code. As such, a remake like TLOPO could be seen within Disney’s eyes as more so a “nostalgic” reminder of what the POTC franchise was and has become. Important to Disney (if this remake had ever been any sort of ‘concern’ to them at all) is the sheer fact now that the effort COMPLIMENTS the continuation of interest towards the POTC franchise in a unique way separate from film. *Since Disney is taking Sparrow out of the lime light now, they might actually need all the help they can get to further peak interest in POTC!

It will be interesting to watch and to witness how Disney pulls this decision off, no doubt!

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point, Disney is merely cashing out any residual worth the franchise may or may not have.
They are simply following an economic formula that will yield a still substantial amount of profit, at reduced expenses, while not investing in any talent or originality.
Die-hard fans will inevitably die off, and Disney has made a tidy sum in the process.
When it comes to entertainment, it's always and only about the profits.
It's what they do; make money.
That's show biz.

Honestly taking the main character out of a movie has never ended well in any movie series ive seen.. I mean unless they are gonna take all the other characters out as well. I feel as they should at least end Jacks story line instead of take him out of the script. This may of course just be my opinion.

At this point, Disney is merely cashing out any residual worth the franchise may or may not have.
They are simply following an economic formula that will yield a still substantial amount of profit, at reduced expenses, while not investing in any talent or originality.
Die-hard fans will inevitably die off, and Disney has made a tidy sum in the process.
When it comes to entertainment, it's always and only about the profits.
It's what they do; make money.
That's show biz.
Honestly taking the main character out of a movie has never ended well in any movie series ive seen.. I mean unless they are gonna take all the other characters out as well. I feel as they should at least end Jacks story line instead of take him out of the script. This may of course just be my opinion.
I agree with you both.

Unless theres a substantial timeskip from the first cast, and the new cast is moderately good actors and not just random people, and if the new main character pirate is just as enjoyable, then it may be fine.

I don't doubt their ability to make a charming main character pirate I just doubt the new directors + writers ability to come up with one from scratch. If it was the original writers of the movie, maybe. And if the actor is a good choice, maybe. But not some rookie random actors like we got in dead men tell no tales.

Back