What do you think of this Blade?

• The Blade is Balanced and Awesome.

Votes: 55 59.1%
  • The Blade is Unbalanced and Terrible.

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 14 15.1%

• Total voters
Also, I've already explained that Sparrow's Blade is power creep. Making more overpowered weapons to counter stronger enemies and bosses at this point will just give you more things to click at; not make things inherently more interesting.
But I can see that you don't care enough about the game's balance to realize that this sword sets a precedent that could potentially (inevitably) lead to most legendaries being rendered obsolete
There is always something better, else the game dies. People are arguing at me because of my contention that there is no real value to any item in tlopo and that I don't care about one sword being stronger than another sword and that I'll drop the last sword for the newer stronger sword every time. I don't fall in love with my weapons. They're tools to use and replace. And of course, as with mine, those are your opinions.

And it's funny talking about balance when a big majority plays with alts. So, that's not out of balance? Think about that.

Nobody's saying that it's a problem when strong blades get released. We're saying that it's a problem when there's only ONE blade worth getting in the long run. This is that blade. New content isn't good for the game when makes a ton of the game's content essentially useless. If you're going to keep labeling everyone who you argue with as "overly attached" to their weapons, then honestly, get off the thread. You're not wanted here if you can't provide a reasonable argument as to why this blade is entirely balanced; you've just acted superior because "blah blah blah, items don't have value therefore this sword being overpowered isn't a problem". You're right. They don't. Which is why nerfing a blade that makes the game less engaging and ruins the experience isn't going to do harm to the game; it's going to increase the value of the endgame.
And we're not talking about people using alts. We're talking about weapons.
Anywho, this is going to be my last reply to you since you seem to be unable to provide any sort of reason beyond apathy as to why this sword should stay as it is. Besides, strong blades already got released and people are still riding the wave off of those; the new legendaries from the bosses of Tormenta. Those swords are balanced and fun to get and use because of how hard they are to obtain and how they don't outright outclass any other weapon of their rank. They just introduce a new style of play.
It's almost as if... you can add in new content that makes the game more fun without ruining the balance of the strongest blades of two weapon classes!

Upon looking at things, I think a rework is more appropriate for the sword (or at least, a name change; it doesn't feel like Jack Sparrow's blade at all, just an overpowered mess). Maybe this?

Jack Sparrow's Blade
Legendary Pirate's Cutlass
Attack: 90
Skills:

The Pearl's Curse (Passive Ability): [You feel... cold.] You're half undead! Immunity to non-magic status effects (slows, wounded, etc).
Health Drain (Rank 3)
Cleave Boost +3 OR Flourish +2

REASONING BEHIND CHANGES: I decided that this blade would do better off not having a Powerful boost or Critical Strike (that's exhausted on cutlasses by now and plenty of blades fill the role). The role I went for was more of a resistance tank that filled the unique role of blocking out statuses and having the ability to heal off chip damage. I thought of a few passives, but eventually, I settled on a callback to the Curse of the Black Pearl. A unique ability like that seemed in order for a blade belonging to the Captain himself. A legendary blade deserves a powerful ability, and something that effectively negates physical status effects seemed like just the thing to work without being disgustingly overpowered. It would get players looking for the blade---some incentive for a new, powerful ability that lets a player dominate the field of battle without having to worry about direct stuns, slows, etc.. I decided to keep Drain Health, as it would leave yet another reason to seek out the blade and keep the experience fresh; a new ability, and the only cutlass with Drain Health 3 as a passive. The Cleave/Flourish boosts would give it just a bit of extra damage to make up for its weak offensive capabilities; something on a combo to net you more health.
I felt like Sparrow's Blade needed to feel unique, filling a role that is unlike anything that we've ever seen. A status recovery tank on a cutlass, as far as I know, isn't a role that's already been filled, and it could add a new and fresh weapon into the game instead of the sword being a Thunderspine with training wheels. I feel like a rework like this would make the sword FAR more interesting and fun to use, and it would add an incentive to obtain the blade not because it's overpowered, but because it's unique and interesting. Another sort of change to the sword would be to make Darkhart level 43-46.​

Last edited:
because if the swords are irrelevant and weak compared to the new ones not many people will go there, and palifico really isnt a boss that you can kill efficiently with 5 people.

Lol and i just realized yore is like jacks blade but worse, so you wont be able to get that one either since you also have to fight 2 bosses

Nobody's saying that it's a problem when strong blades get released. We're saying that it's a problem when there's only ONE blade worth getting in the long run. This is that blade. New content isn't good for the game when makes a ton of the game's content essentially useless. If you're going to keep labeling everyone who you argue with as "overly attached" to their weapons, then honestly, get off the thread. You're not wanted here if you can't provide a reasonable argument as to why this blade is entirely balanced; you've just acted superior because "blah blah blah, items don't have value therefore this sword being overpowered isn't a problem". You're right. They don't. Which is why nerfing a blade that makes the game less engaging and ruins the experience isn't going to do harm to the game; it's going to increase the value of the endgame.
And we're not talking about people using alts. We're talking about weapons.
Anywho, this is going to be my last reply to you since you seem to be unable to provide any sort of reason beyond apathy as to why this sword should stay as it is. Besides, strong blades already got released and people are still riding the wave off of those; the new legendaries from the bosses of Tormenta. Those swords are balanced and fun to get and use because of how hard they are to obtain and how they don't outright outclass any other weapon of their rank. They just introduce a new style of play.
It's almost as if... you can add in new content that makes the game more fun without ruining the balance of the strongest blades of two weapon classes!
You're not wanted here if you can't provide a reasonable argument as to why this blade is entirely balanced; you've just acted superior because..
How many times are people going to twist an opinion into some sort of attack at them. My opinion was already stated that I see weapons as tools and not something to do with balance. Your insistence about balance and some sort of game conduct is just that, your opinion about what this game means to you, no one else. Balance is in the eye of the beholder and you have no right to tell me to get off the forums, the game or anywhere else because I don't see your viewpoint on game play. Stop attacking the people who post their opinions and debate in a civil manner.

You speak of game engagement and that is something we all share. But no one has to share YOUR way of doing things or what you think is the proper way to 'balance' things. There's not much to tlopo yet, hopefully there may be. You and others have only commented subjectively and and with conjecture about balance and so called devalue of some sort with items in the game. I get the community stuff, I get the keeping the game experience, I even get the defensive comments for tlopo.

As usual, I'm debating logistics and mechanics in general while people counter attack me with unsubstantiated theories of concepts of artificial value in the game and why I'm full of crap because I don't 'understand' where they come from.
On the contrary, I do understand probably everything now and when I ask the 'why' because I want to know the underlying reasons of their contentions as some of the more esoteric assumptions make no sense to me. And because most people have no answers or way to prove the theories except with, "well, we know somehow that if you don't kill something 256 times you won't receive it. And yet there is no proof in the coding for such comments. Thus it's guessimation, hearsay and when people are questioned they turn defensive and then twist the question on the asker. This is not unusual at all on any forum, be it game or business. And that doesn't really bother me.

You're not wanted here if you can't provide a reasonable argument as to why this blade is entirely balanced; you've just acted superior because..
How many times are people going to twist an opinion into some sort of attack at them. My opinion was already stated that I see weapons as tools and not something to do with balance. Your insistence about balance and some sort of game conduct is just that, your opinion about what this game means to you, no one else. Balance is in the eye of the beholder and you have no right to tell me to get off the forums, the game or anywhere else because I don't see your viewpoint on game play. Stop attacking the people who post their opinions and debate in a civil manner.

You speak of game engagement and that is something we all share. But no one has to share YOUR way of doing things or what you think is the proper way to 'balance' things. There's not much to tlopo yet, hopefully there may be. You and others have only commented subjectively and and with conjecture about balance and so called devalue of some sort with items in the game. I get the community stuff, I get the keeping the game experience, I even get the defensive comments for tlopo.

As usual, I'm debating logistics and mechanics in general while people counter attack me with unsubstantiated theories of concepts of artificial value in the game and why I'm full of crap because I don't 'understand' where they come from.
On the contrary, I do understand probably everything now and when I ask the 'why' because I want to know the underlying reasons of their contentions as some of the more esoteric assumptions make no sense to me. And because most people have no answers or way to prove the theories except with, "well, we know somehow that if you don't kill something 256 times you won't receive it. And yet there is no proof in the coding for such comments. Thus it's guessimation, hearsay and when people are questioned they turn defensive and then twist the question on the asker. This is not unusual at all on any forum, be it game or business. And that doesn't really bother me.

Your only stance that you've argued is apathy; if you don't care about game balance, then do everyone a favor and stop pretending to discuss it instead of just saying "it's not bad because i don't care about weapons".

You're obsessed with saying that people "attribute artificial value" to weapons because people want the weapons to be balanced. If you have an idea of game balance and engagement, then go ahead; give your idea. If your idea of game balance is remaining apathetic to the topic all together because you believe that caring means that someone is attached to their weapons, then I refuse to discuss with someone who will make blind assumptions on stance alone and I don't believe that you can add meaningful commentary on the subject. I'm going to ignore you now; have a good day.

Your only stance that you've argued is apathy; if you don't care about game balance, then do everyone a favor and stop pretending to discuss it instead of just saying "it's not bad because i don't care about weapons".
The devs made the decision, based on all their experience. Why do people doubt what they did.
Incorrect on your assessment of what you think I'm thinking. It isn't apathy.

It's about the sparrow blade being unbalanced in an environment that I've suggested doesn't have a real balance game wise, only in the mind of the long term player. What balance is being identified? PVP or PVE.

PVE is individual playing against myself and monsters and quests. I use a weapon to kill. I look for stronger weapons to kill with. The perceived value is subjective and personal. That's what I'm saying all along. Others claiming the sparrow is overkill is their opinion, and saying it somehow dilutes the game is baseless to me because nothing they do in PVE changes my experience. Nothing. Except leeching. So if nothing anyone else does effects my game, why should I worry about their idea of a swords value. And that's one reason why I say other people should NOT be allowed to decide to destroy a sword I may like using. It's also a assumption and subjective to claim this will cheapen the game and stop people from playing. Sorry if I don't subscribe to that either. But that's their right.

Why don't you find an example where I demand someone leave the forum or game? Except for 'Crash' exchange a long time ago.

Until then debate the game and content and quit going after someones character because they have the audacity to ask the hard questions or question long time celebrities.

thanks and GL

You're obsessed with saying that people "attribute artificial value" to weapons because people want the weapons to be balanced. If you have an idea of game balance and engagement, then go ahead; give your idea. If your idea of game balance is remaining apathetic to the topic all together because you believe that caring means that someone is attached to their weapons, then I refuse to discuss with someone who will make blind assumptions on stance alone and I don't believe that you can add meaningful commentary on the subject. I'm going to ignore you now; have a good day.
Stop using apathetic incorrectly.
Oops, I'm ignored, now I can't give my theories of game balance.
But that's okay, since I think game balance is what the player makes it, not what they dictate to the community.

this isnt going anywhere lol the devs need to focus on finishing old features and then adding stuff to do instead of spending time balancing weapons.

Ok, so now I've found this blade and tried it out. I have compared it to the WEB and find it to be a bit more damaging. I'm really glad this is not a broadsword and it is less OP than I imagined based on its boosts. I don't have the Thunderspine but did in potco and suspect it is a bit more OP than the Thunderspine but it's hard to compare with a memory. I think it is not so OP as to be game breaking. So, On the plus side I'm glad that there are now sabres and a cutlass that have higher DPS than the big broadswords, they never should have been so powerful given their multi-enemie attack capability. On the negative side it seems like it is more common than the cursed legendaries and is part of an alarming trend of ever more powerful weapons. I guess that if more powerful enemies are on the horizon then this is justified as a counter to them. I really dream of a complete rework of sword combat where player skill is key to success and the high lvl enemies are more skilled and not simply more attack and health, where defense and attack are greatly influenced by a player's skill, where the top enemies require groups to work together using different weapons that provide multiple statuses to keep the enemy at bay no matter how many players are attacking it.

It's about the sparrow blade being unbalanced in an environment that I've suggested doesn't have a real balance game wise, only in the mind of the long term player. What balance is being identified? PVP or PVE.

PVE is individual playing against myself and monsters and quests. I use a weapon to kill. I look for stronger weapons to kill with. The perceived value is subjective and personal. That's what I'm saying all along. Others claiming the sparrow is overkill is their opinion, and saying it somehow dilutes the game is baseless to me because nothing they do in PVE changes my experience. Nothing. Except leeching. So if nothing anyone else does effects my game, why should I worry about their idea of a swords value. And that's one reason why I say other people should NOT be allowed to decide to destroy a sword I may like using. It's also a assumption and subjective to claim this will cheapen the game and stop people from playing. Sorry if I don't subscribe to that either. But that's their right.

Your argument about PVE is ridiculous. TLOPO is a multiplayer game which means there is an undeniable aspect of competition in looting, questing, sailing, etc. When you say that, nothing other people do not effects your PVE experiences, you are speaking for an incredibly small minority. Imagine if TLOPO was an offline game and you were the only person in the world who played it. It would be incredibly boring! Upgrading ships, maxing your pirate, finishing the black pearl quest, can all be played competitively if you so please to do so. However, to the vast majority of people, looting is competitive. Thus, what other people do, does in fact effect my PVE experiences, as it does most people's.

With that said, looting is very important to the game. Wouldn't you agree? After all, its the reason so many people care about this game. So us "caring" about what weapons we find, and what stats they have isn't such a crazy concept. Which means weapon balance isn't some "artificial" concept that you disagree with. Heck, even the tlopo staff thinks game balance is important! Isn't that so weird?

That's certainly not our mindset. There were some good points brought up here, namely those concerning the overshadowing of cursed weapons. Game balance is important, and as staffers of a Beta game, player feedback is certainly valued. I appreciate your confidence in our decision-making, though.

My point is this: Squintz, I mean not to micromanage the way you have fun, in any way shape or form. Do as you please. However, a lot of people, and I imagine the staff included, do in fact value balance.

... there is an undeniable aspect of competition in looting ...can all be played competitively if you so please to do so.
As been my point in this whole discussion is that the competition is amongst players personally, not a game feature. One does not compete with other players in tlopo in PVE to succeed in the game. Only if YOU CHOOSE TO.

... When you say that, nothing other people do not effects your PVE experiences, you are speaking for an incredibly small minority.
I have as always, spoken for myself. I speak for no one with my opinions. There's not a single quest that I actually am required to ask for assistance. Even the pearl quest I can do via the game random. People choose to do things together. It is not a requirement of the game, thus attributing value to an item is subjective and personal. Other peoples value assessments, while important to their play do not alter my play. And also like I've made point, allowing someone else personal concept of value to be a deciding factor of game play for the whole community isn't a fair thing to do to the majority.

... So us "caring" about what weapons we find, and what stats they have isn't such a crazy concept.
I have never said anything derogatory about anyone's concept about fair play, I've disagreed with posts, but not the member. I've never said anyone caring about their items is crazy. My point as usual is value is a personal players mind and should not be stated as fact in a public game. I don't believe I've ever told anyone they can't think what they want and play any kind of stat games they want. I play by the game parameters set by the game itself. All else activity is created by players and in PVE only, I can only chat with players, they can't do a single thing else to help me but mob in the group. Oh wait, I forgot healing and reviving. So there's that. They can't give me weapons, mats and without an exploit in poker, any gold. It's pretty much a loner game, UNLESS YOU CHOOSE TO COMPETE.

... Which means weapon balance isn't some "artificial" concept that you disagree with.
The game is artificial, the concept of balance in a artificial game is artificial. All the talk about balance in the forums and not one single person has been able to explain what balance is. Why? Because there is no standard set by the game. Unless it's in the coding somewhere, I've never seen it. So, balance is a dynamic theory handed along by someones balance feelings to the next, through out the games history.

... However, a lot of people, and I imagine the staff included, do in fact value balance.

I never said there shouldn't be balance, or that there isn't balance. I've always said balance is a creation from subjectivity in game play and not some hard rules set in the game, unless there's some coding somewhere I've never seen. Thus, based on my opinion, other peoples balance isn't game changing nor rule making and doesn't directly effect me, I don't worry about it much. People are totally free to make it what they want or as important as they want.

I'm willing to bet that you, the staff and every other person if asked to define balance without looking at the forum would come up with totally different, but vaguely similar reports. In other words, like all things, everyone has their own ideas about concepts and life.

Know what, you didn't need this line whatsoever and shows you're directing it at me instead of the subject, matter of fact, every one of the above questions were AT ME and not asking me, and not in general.
So next time, if there is a next time, leave your personal feelings about the member out of it, okay?
My point is this: Squintz, I mean not to micromanage the way you have fun, in any way shape or form. Do as you please.

Know what, you didn't need this line whatsoever and shows you're directing it at me instead of the subject, matter of fact, every one of the above questions were AT ME and not asking me, and not in general.
So next time, if there is a next time, leave your personal feelings about the member out of it, okay?
My point is this: Squintz, I mean not to micromanage the way you have fun, in any way shape or form. Do as you please.

Sorry if I offended you. That said, I was responding to something you said... so im not sure why you're surprised I directed it at you. My response was about how I felt about your opinions.

Sorry if I offended you. That said, I was responding to something you said... so im not sure why you're surprised I directed it at you. My response was about how I felt about your opinions.
Correct, but as I stated, you are questioning the member as to WHY they post, not WHAT they are posting. The thread isn't about me, it's about opinions concerning the sparrow blade. Not your opinions about my personal opinions in posting opinions on the sparrow blade.
I think that made sense?
Questioning my motives and such I consider off topic. Perhaps admin thinks so as well. I don't know. And now I'm going to stop defending myself as to why I have opinions.
I will not entertain any more messages in that vein.
Good luck.

Back