Weapons Jack Sparrow's Blade Nerf Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's trash compared to what it was before, it's not special anymore and honestly not even worth looting anymore besides for a collector item as it's really just a slightly improved lost sword, and emphasis on slightly.
Well yeah it was slightly over-nerfed but thats because it was stupid powerful before
But its still a great sword.
Its also the easiest boss legendary to find, and doesn't require you to complete ravens cove quest or even get to lvl 30 for that matter.
This sword is a lot more powerful than el patron is still

It's trash compared to what it was before, it's not special anymore and honestly not even worth looting anymore besides for a collector item as it's really just a slightly improved lost sword, and emphasis on slightly.
Rank 3 critical strike is still great and that powerful ability is still great at rank 3, I don't get why you're comparing it to lost sword instead of thunderspine.

Rank 3 critical strike is still great and that powerful ability is still great at rank 3, I don't get why you're comparing it to lost sword instead of thunderspine.
I'm more so advocating to the fact that the blade is "boring" now, it doesn't stand out like before.
If it was rank 4 crit or maybe a thrust boost instead of cleave than it would be fine but it's just basic now with no real novelty that it had before tbh.

I'm more so advocating to the fact that the blade is "boring" now, it doesn't stand out like before.
If it was rank 4 crit or maybe a thrust boost instead of cleave than it would be fine but it's just basic now with no real novelty that it had before tbh.
What about the powerful ability? No other sword has it except the quest weapons.

What about the powerful ability? No other sword has it except the quest weapons.

Honestly, it doesn't really change much in terms of how much damage it does. Sure like you said not too many swords have it but I ran some test using jack's blade and a regular famed cutlass nothing too special, and the damage isn't really that much different. I know it's a roll on how much damage you do but I tested it on the same enemy with the sane level and although it increases the damage slightly, it's really not that cool of an ability and not really warranting the standout that people are giving it.

I would have to see the actual multiplier for the powerful ability before I can give a conclusive verdict though.

I would say that the powerful 3 gives it about 3 attack points but after trying it quite a bit there is the possibility that it doesn't work at all. I did compare it with the LostSword directly and it is still a hair stronger, due to it's crits, but not hugely so. The comparisons with the Lost Sword are probably the best you can do, it is nothing like the Thunderspine now. Before the nerf it was a hair more powerful than the WEB in 1 on1 power, also by direct comparison in game.

It is a boring and weak legendary for sure. It really should have had a unique ability of some sort to spice it up, it's only attraction originally was it's crit 5 and drain health 3 making it super powerful but that is gone now. I really feel as Deanaug said, it should be removed from the game. A neutered version is not at all worthy of the name Jack Sparrow.

Last edited:
It is a boring and weak legendary for sure. It really should have had a unique ability of some sort to spice it up, it's only attraction originally was it's crit 5 and drain health 3 making it super powerful but that is gone now. I really feel as Desnaug said, it should be removed from the game. A neutered version is not at all worthy of the name Jack Sparrow.
Bless, your previous two responses perfectly elaborated further what I was trying to convey. Rip Sparrow's blade: 2018 - 2018

Here is another thing that is clearly wrong about this blade: it has the powerful ability. The powerful ability was added to old prexisting weapons when Disney introduced El Patron's weapons so that they would still be relevant in the game. New weapons should simply have higher attack directly thus avoiding the obscure nature of the powerful designation. I have not personally tried any of the old weapons in tlopo but from my memory of potco they were hugely more powerful than their attack values indicated but this is certainly not the case with this sword which leads me to suspect that the powerful ability does not even work in tlopo. This sword should not have the powerful ability in the first place, since it is new. Powerful only serves to confuse people and fuel controversy, please at least up the attack and get rid of powerful.

Okay I made an honest effort to read through all the replies before commenting my overall opinion, but after the first page it just devolved into insults.

My take on this is it definitely needed a nerf, but was nerfed in the wrong way. As it stands it is now a worse thunderspine, the attack is around the same, they both have rank 3 crit, but thunderspine gives a +3 thrust boost compared to JSB giving a +3 cleave boost, as well as the shock sweep ability on thunderspine. As far as I am aware, there is no cutlass that gives drain health, so in order to nerf the JSB but keep it unique I would have much preferred they have it at Powerful 3 and Drain Health 3, replacing the Crit 3. This way, JSB is still a great sword worthy of being a legendary and worth looting, but it isn't as powerful in outright strength as swords like Yore or Thunderspine.

Just my take on it, I don't see why a broadsword can have drain health and a cutlass can't, especially since broadswords tend to do more damage than cutlasses even on single enemies, which is ridiculous as the perk of hitting all enemies around you should have a damage trade-off rather than a direct gain.

Anyways, TL;DR is remove crit on JSB and give it Drain Health 3 back to make it unique and worth it while keeping the strongest cursed blades the strongest.

In my comparisons I've found great variations in performance of all the swords and am starting to think that many of the abilities don't actually work and that there's a bug that changes the performance of your sword. I had an instance of my Dread Spike seemingly performing identically to the WEB, all the numbers flying up and time to kill and health drain seemed to have manifested more in my character rather than in the sword I was using. Perhaps none of the assessments of this sword, before or after the nerf, are valid at all.

I very honestly think the problem with this discussion is that people are comparing this weapon to its former self; a grossly overpowered sword gotten from a low-level boss. If we want to have a fair discussion, we need to stop comparing this sword to Cursed Blades or how it was formerly.

As it stands, this sword is by far the most powerful non-cursed sword in the game. That's how it always should have been; it's a powerful sword gotten from a low-level boss. It's the best sword to have in the midgame. Heck, it's more powerful than some cursed swords such as Nautilus.

People say that the devs overnerfed it, but they put it in a reasonable spot and since the sword was so bloody overpowered before, it seems like a gigantic blow. The thing is: this sword is for the midgame. If you want a midgame sword gotten at a level 30 boss to be comparable to swords gotten from level 50 bosses, then you're being unreasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back