Weapons Jack Sparrow's Blade Nerf Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the whole concept of a mid-game legendary. Legendaries are rare, very very rare, so to count on a legendary weapon only being viable prior to the max levels, where you are going to want to loot for much better cursed blades, then I don't get why you'd bother going for it at all. This game doesn't take long to get to level 50, and besides you can start looting for cursed legendaries fairly early on as well.

And in response to this, why should a weapon need to be cursed to be good? Why should a legendary be weaker simply because it isn't a "cursed" legendary, it's still legendary is it not? The RC quest isn't hard, it isn't long, and it isn't even high level. To say that all the best needs to come from that is absurd. By the time you are farming darkhart you are pretty close if not able to do the RC quest and start farming for cursed weapons, so why it all needs to be weaker is confusing to me. I can understand wanting Yore to be stronger as it comes only from a level 50 boss, but Thunderspine drops from *weaker* enemies than DH in the first place, so why does it need to be stronger?
I think the answer is that well known and influential looters want it that way because that maintains their Thunderspine at the top of the cutlass pecking order. I also think that the game should move towards having the best cutlasses and sabres be higher dps than the best broadswords.

And in response to this, why should a weapon need to be cursed to be good? Why should a legendary be weaker simply because it isn't a "cursed" legendary, it's still legendary is it not? The RC quest isn't hard, it isn't long, and it isn't even high level. To say that all the best needs to come from that is absurd. By the time you are farming darkhart you are pretty close if not able to do the RC quest and start farming for cursed weapons, so why it all needs to be weaker is confusing to me. I can understand wanting Yore to be stronger as it comes only from a level 50 boss, but Thunderspine drops from *weaker* enemies than DH in the first place, so why does it need to be stronger?
If you think about, thunderspine is easier to get than Jack Sparrows blade because you can only get Jack Sparrows blade from one enemy while when you're at tormenta or rc, you can group something like 5 red tag enemies and kill them all at once and you can get a cursed legendary from almost any enemy on tormenta and rc

There are at least 3 things that I do not like about this blade: I do not like the nerf, I do not like that it has Powerful, and I do not like that it has no unique ability or attack to make it stand out.

If you think about, thunderspine is easier to get than Jack Sparrows blade because you can only get Jack Sparrows blade from one enemy while when you're at tormenta or rc, you can group something like 5 red tag enemies and kill them all at once and you can get a cursed legendary from almost any enemy on tormenta and rc
Although the rates for skull chests and chests are higher for bosses than normal enemies so it sort of evens itself out.

Although the rates for skull chests and chests are higher for bosses than normal enemies so it sort of evens itself out.
That is true that the drop rates for chest and skull chests are higher for bosses than normal enemies, but like I said, you can get thunderspine from pretty much any enemy at tormenta and rc. If you're only killing something like one or two regular enemies at a time then yeah, it would even it out (assuming that there is a group at the boss to make the looting faster). But, if you're grouping multiple enemies and killing them in seconds, you would (probably) have a higher chance to get at least one skull chest from one of those enemies than you are from a boss. When I was looting at Forsaken Shallows I was grouping up to nine enemies at a time, and sometimes (emphasis on sometimes) I got up to three skull chests to drop after I killed one group of nine, and that was by myself. If you add another pirate or two to that, the kill ratio would be higher since you can kill them faster than one person can.

That is true that the drop rates for chest and skull chests are higher for bosses than normal enemies, but like I said, you can get thunderspine from pretty much any enemy at tormenta and rc. If you're only killing something like one or two regular enemies at a time then yeah, it would even it out (assuming that there is a group at the boss to make the looting faster). But, if you're grouping multiple enemies and killing them in seconds, you would (probably) have a higher chance to get at least one skull chest from one of those enemies than you are from a boss. When I was looting at Forsaken Shallows I was grouping up to nine enemies at a time, and sometimes (emphasis on sometimes) I got up to three skull chests to drop after I killed one group of nine, and that was by myself. If you add another pirate or two to that, the kill ratio would be higher since you can kill them faster than one person can.
Somewhat off topic but I am very curious, how did you manage to group up nine enemies at a time? Would love something more efficient and engaging than siege at gold room for a change.

Somewhat off topic but I am very curious, how did you manage to group up nine enemies at a time? Would love something more efficient and engaging than siege at gold room for a change.
I forgot which server I was at but at some server at Forsaken Shallows near the shipwreck you see before you meet Koleniko, it was pretty much all thrall captains and seabeards and they were close enough that I was able to group them in one area.

Well I found this blade without knowing it's properties, only knowing that it was Jack Sparrows Blade as Disney named it and so obviously must be a Very Special Legendary item... after all we got all sorts of obscure personas in the game with very powerful Legendary associated with them but this is Jack Sparrow himself! Around which this whole game and Universe revolves:piratemickey:

Of course this sword is now a let down and makes no sense being so "weak"... I think the problem is that some people do not understand the "source" of Jacks Luck and his abilities in the movies and hence the power behind some of his items, Jack has much Juju most of which has not been explained.

What Disney and the Dev's forgot to write on this weapons' card is that it is a "Charmed Weapon"... what would make sense for this amazing Legendary item (regardless of who it drops from... maybe just frequency) is of course at least Crit 4 "Jacks Luck", a much higher attack maybe 92 (Drop the silly powerful thing or really make it work) and a special ability - so as we know Jack can Beguile so it could have Confusion Rank 4 (have to work that one out) or maybe Life Drain Rank 2 and then it would be the "Charmed Weapon" it always was right from it's Creators & Developers inception.

Give Jack his Luck back! Or I could say something else :razz:
:pirate ship:

Well I found this blade without knowing it's properties, only knowing that it was Jack Sparrows Blade as Disney named it and so obviously must be a Very Special Legendary item... after all we got all sorts of obscure personas in the game with very powerful Legendary associated with them but this is Jack Sparrow himself! Around which this whole game and Universe revolves:piratemickey:

Of course this sword is now a let down and makes no sense being so "weak"... I think the problem is that some people do not understand the "source" of Jacks Luck and his abilities in the movies and hence the power behind some of his items, Jack has much Juju most of which has not been explained.

What Disney and the Dev's forgot to write on this weapons' card is that it is a "Charmed Weapon"... what would make sense for this amazing Legendary item (regardless of who it drops from... maybe just frequency) is of course at least Crit 4 "Jacks Luck", a much higher attack maybe 92 (Drop the silly powerful thing or really make it work) and a special ability - so as we know Jack can Beguile so it could have Confusion Rank 4 (have to work that one out) or maybe Life Drain Rank 2 and then it would be the "Charmed Weapon" it always was right from it's Creators & Developers inception.

The blade stats was never in the Disney's code. - All theses stats you saw were directly created by the TLOPO team...

What you need to account for is the requirements for this blade.
- You don't need to do Raven's Cove. [Meaning you can find the blade at any notoriety level.]
- You get the sword by one of the weakest hitting bosses and one of the lowest hp in the game [16,250 hp]
- He is undead, so you can use the most powerful hitting famed pistol in the game to 2 shot him consistently. [Divine Pistol]
- AND the sword after being patched is STILL better than Silver Freeze, Lost Sword, Silver Striker and Devil's Claw. Making it the STRONGEST sword you can get before level 30 already. [I would even say best WEAPON if the 2 legendary pistols were not a thing...]

So I cannot see your argument when you're talking about how "Weak"... it is clearly not.

At this point, after nerfing the weapon, I have to question why it was even made.
After the nerf, it's basically a junk weapon.
All this because the wrong people got it first, and the whiners complained about it.

The blade stats was never in the Disney's code. - All theses stats you saw were directly created by the TLOPO team...

What you need to account for is the requirements for this blade.
- You don't need to do Raven's Cove. [Meaning you can find the blade at any notoriety level.]
- You get the sword by one of the weakest hitting bosses and one of the lowest hp in the game [16,250 hp]
- He is undead, so you can use the most powerful hitting famed pistol in the game to 2 shot him consistently. [Divine Pistol]
- AND the sword after being patched is STILL better than Silver Freeze, Lost Sword, Silver Striker and Devil's Claw. Making it the STRONGEST sword you can get before level 30 already. [I would even say best WEAPON if the 2 legendary pistols were not a thing...]

So I cannot see your argument when you're talking about how "Weak"... it is clearly not.
Yeah... well it feels weak and I'm always comparing it to LSOEP and others, it has no spark and at the end of the day I just wanted to have my 2 cents worth supporting those that feel the same way;)

I think it's quiet clear what deanaug said... I guess Charles I'll just have to find some way to like it more, if you have any suggestions how I could please let me know.

Meanwhile I'll carry on trying to find Leviathan and then forget all about it... lol:D

PS. I did not realise the stats were not created by Disney... which in some ways makes it all the more mysterious...
PPS. Sorry deanaug... keep up the good work guys we support you all regardless:Christmaspirate:
:pirate ship::flag1:

Last edited:

Ah, I see we're reopening this old wound today.

:knockout: Oops... say no more (I guess I foolishly picked up on the Beta aspect and just hoped for something different in the future maybe... silly really, everyone's got so much to do, it's the last thing anyone needs is to look back at minor issues... apologies)

:knockout: Oops... say no more (I guess I foolishly picked up on the Beta aspect and just hoped for something different in the future maybe... silly really, everyone's got so much to do, it's the last thing anyone needs is to look back at minor issues... apologies)
No apologies required from you mate, just got sick of hearing all the kvetching on this topic. Chalk it up to "not every software design decision is a great one", although somehow those not familiar with the concept don't seem to allow for that. Chalk this one up to "lessons learnt", to hopefully to be a guide if we go down this path again.

At this point, after nerfing the weapon, I have to question why it was even made.
After the nerf, it's basically a junk weapon.
All this because the wrong people got it first, and the whiners complained about it.
The blade wasn't intended to be an "End all be all" weapon like World Eater Blade or Leviathan, it was meant to be a powerful sword you can loot if you're below level 30.

As I explained, for what it was intended for... it is FAR from weak.

You all act like just because the name 'Jack Sparrow' is on it it has the be "INSANELY POWERFUL".... Honestly, just look at this thing...

You're ok having one of the lowest, weakest hitting bosses, to drop a legendary THIS strong? Rivaling Thunderspine?

Basic game balance people...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back