Guide Jessie's Complete Guide to Leveling and Maxing your Pirate

Lume

Honorable Pirate
Jessie's Guide to 50

Welcome to my guide on how to completely train and max your pirate. My goal is to help you level up your pirate with the most efficient methods available. Everything featured in the guide is completely my opinion and advice and I am open to any feedback and discussion. These are what I see as the best and most labor-saving ways to go about leveling.

NOTES
  • I will not be covering how to access any areas. If you are unsure on how to get to an area, I strongly recommend searching them on the TLOPO/POTCO wiki found here
  • All the wiki links for the areas and bosses mentioned will be included at the end.
  • Though I am not a personal fan of them currently, especially with many bugs regarding them, quests will always be a guaranteed way to level up.
  • This guide is made on the basis that you begin training said weapon as soon as you acquire it. Whilst most of this will remain applicable, some enemies may be too low level for it to be worth your time if you start at a higher notoriety.
  • I was very restricted in the amount of content I could include due to the thread restriction of 10,0000 characters.
Firstly, I will cover what I consider are the best general areas to train based on your notoriety before breaking down areas into what I consider are the best for specific XP.

NOTORIETY
Notoriety 1-10
  • Governor's Garden - Houses basic enemies and is what I consider one of the easiest areas for leveling beginning skills.
  • Royal Caverns - Similar looking to the Quarry, the caverns feature lots of easy low-level enemies and can be accessed without leaving Port Royal.
Notoriety 10-20
  • Fort Charles - Located in Port Royal, the Fort features enemies ranging from four to high 20s. Usually, you will find other pirates here and with crew bonuses, this certainly becomes one of the best places for ranking up.
  • Misty Mire - In Tortuga, lies a swamp that houses enemies from nine to 18. It also has a hex boss, known as General Hex who I recommend avoiding until higher level.
  • Kingshead - A place that will be commonly mentioned, it has six level 18 veterans that consistently spawn in the same spot. One of the most popular places for grinding, Kingshead is very efficient and easy.
Notoriety 20-30
  • Beckett's Quarry - A large cave located in Padres., the area usually has enemies ranging from 10-35. It may have a few bosses inside, which I would recommend avoiding possibly with the exception of Samuel who does not spawn above 19. This place only features EITC and Navy meaning you cannot train your gun here, for which I recommend
  • Lava Gorge - Featuring undead, Lava Gorge is seemingly Beckett's, replaced with undead.
  • Catacombs - Has many groups of enemies ranging from ~15-~30, very helpful for training groups.
Notoriety 30-50
  • Cursed Caverns (Isla Tormenta) - The Caverns are notorious for being high-level pirates' training space. It features enemies from 23-50. The Caverns are very complex and a breakdown of them will be included in the guide.
  • El Patron's Mine - Currently only accessible through a wall glitch, the Mine features many ghosts and is another common training spot for higher level pirates.
WEAPONS

Sword
- In most situations, sword will be your first maxed weapon. Until you can farm at Kingshead, stick to the 10-30 areas mentioned above. Broadswords are indisputably the best for leveling featuring the ability to hit multiple enemies with one swing without splitting the damage allowing you to effectively mow down groups of enemies. Preferably with a healer, the six veterans at Kingshead are very efficient at least leading up to level ~17. Once you surpass decent XP from Kingshead, move on to Beckett's and then later Tormenta.

Shooting - Unarguably, one of the most tedious to max. Whilst I have heard and seen people leveling up with Blunderbusses, my preferred method was to simply run a youtube video on the side, while I sat and clicked my enemies to death with my repeater. I strongly prefer this to the blunderbuss as you get more experience per length of a fight. I trained my gun on the Devil's Anvil beach immediately after getting it and then once I could, I moved on to Misty Mire until I was ~15. I made my way to Lava Gorge, which I recommend until ~22, and then finished maxing at Tormenta/Cursed Caverns. WARNING : There have been stories of players being banned for similar actions. If you are to run a video, make sure to consistently move around and switch targets to avoid being mistaken for cheating!

Dagger - Another tedious and time-consuming skill to max, daggers and throwing knives do less damage than other weapons, granting you the benefit of longer fights (more xp). Starting out, I recommend Fort Charles until you are a high enough level to fight ~20s safely, which is when I suggest moving over to Beckett's and then per usual, finishing maxing at Tormenta.

Doll - By far the easiest skill to max, attuning multiple enemies with the doll splits the damage amongst them. Meaning having 5 enemies attuned and finally getting them all low and finished will grant you upwards of hundreds of XP. I stuck to Misty Mire, as there was plenty of grouped enemies and it became very efficient to attune multiple and run around evading damage. From level 12-30, I very strongly recommend the central group of enemies in the Catacombs. Though it may be annoying, you can attune all 5 enemies grouped together, and you will find your doll level skyrocketing in no time. The area is very rarely used for doll training and you should usually be able to use the enemies without having to contest the xp.

Grenade - From 1 to ~20, Kingshead is indisputably the best spot to train. Max your demolitions, which you will/can retrain later, for the biggest explosions, and easily kill all six veterans very quickly. Once you can essentially one shot the veterans with a single grenade, move on to Tormenta. You can use the treasure room if you are training with Siege Charge, or use any of the plentiful groups of 3 found in the Caverns.

Staff - Once again, you can immediately start out at Kingshead. The group of 6 enemies, makes it very easy to train your staff to at least 15 with ease. Use Wither once you can, and simply damage all the enemies at once repeatedly. Past 15, the best place to train staff is the bridge in Tormenta. The bridge features 4 enemies which you can hit with a single flaming skull. They usually won't attack back, leaving you to grind them until you max.

Potions - Never a big fan of potion-making myself, I am not confident in my ability to tell you how to max it efficiently. In substitution, however, I will provide an old guide made by Edward Guncutter on potion making found
here.

Fishing - Not a big fan of fishing either. Substitute guide found
here.

Cannoning - Maximize the amount of XP you get by shooting the sails before you shoot the hull because more hits grant you more rep.. Thank you to Benjamin Calicovane for this reminder!

Sailing - There are no real tips for sailing besides good ol' time and dedication. Before you are level 15 and can afford your own War ship, I recommend asking a friend or a friendly pirate to sail theirs.

ISLA TORMENTA

• Thrall Room - Features very high 40 enemies. Usually used only by pirates nearing 50.
  • Gold Room - Features four level ~40 enemies. This is a common spot for training weapons, and all four enemies can be hit with a single siege charge.
  • The Bridge (labeled B) - Mostly only very ideal for staff training.
  • 3 - Group of 3 enemies grouped closely together that can be used for training with any AOE weapon.
zWtJTYu.png

Sources and wiki links

Captain Cutlass' map of Isla Tormenta which I edited.
http://piratesonline.wikia.com/wiki/Isla_Tormenta
http://piratesonline.wikia.com/wiki/Edward_Guncutter's_Guide_to_Potion_Making
http://piratesonline.wikia.com/wiki/Will_Scurvyrat's_Guide_To_Fishing_and_Legendary_Fishing
http://piratesonline.wikia.com/wiki/El_Patron's_Mine
http://piratesonline.wikia.com/wiki/Cursed_Caverns
http://piratesonline.wikia.com/wiki/Catacombs
http://piratesonline.wikia.com/wiki/Beckett's_Quarry
http://piratesonline.wikia.com/wiki/Royal_Caverns
http://piratesonline.wikia.com/wiki/Misty_Mire

Happy New Year of Pirating TLOPO!
-Jessie
EDIT : Incredible to see the guide still getting support months after its origin. Thank you all so much!!

Last edited:
Very well made guide! Looking forward to seeing more guides from you.

Happy Pirating!

Around half of the original thread had to be shaved to meet the 10,000 character limit (which includes code). I will likely be going more in depth with many topics in the foreseeable future.

Fantastic guide! This will help tremendously.Thank You for taking the time and effort to make it!

Nice guide! I have a tip for cannons you could possibly add in. I've seen captains of ships recently asking their crew to only shoot the sails of enemy ships, leaving the ship's broadsides to do the damage to the hull. This makes it take quite a while to sink ships, especially high level ones, but because you're constantly doing damage by hitting sails, a large amount of cannon rep is gained per each kill.

Nice guide! I have a tip for cannons you could possibly add in. I've seen captains of ships recently asking their crew to only shoot the sails of enemy ships, leaving the ship's broadsides to do the damage to the hull. This makes it take quite a while to sink ships, especially high level ones, but because you're constantly doing damage by hitting sails, a large amount of cannon rep is gained per each kill.
I completely forgot about this! Will add - thank you!

Back when I played potco, I always thought that was a myth... silly me, lol!

You could always make consecutive posts and split the guide into parts (if needed), in order to bypass the character limit.
Davy suggested it to me, but it doesn't really suit me. I don't think the 10,000 character limit should include formatting. Even without formatting, 10000 characters is still a fairly small amount. If needed however, I will split my guides into multiple posts in the future.

Lume,

Thanks for the guide, it's excellent! Just to clarify, is the best method for levelling up to grind groups of mobs in the specified areas, or is doing quests equally rewarding in the long run?

Lume,

Thanks for the guide, it's excellent! Just to clarify, is the best method for levelling up to grind groups of mobs in the specified areas, or is doing quests equally rewarding in the long run?
I'll break down the pros and cons for you to decide for yourself

Questing
  • Seems to be a reasonable alternative for players that favor grinding less and would like to enjoy the storyline and the 'pirate experience'.
  • Quests are designed to keep your skills fairly up-to-date with your notoriety.
  • Many quests were bugged at the time of the guide's making and some are still to date meaning if you plan to follow the storyline throughout the whole game, you will very likely be stopped by a bug preventing you from completing your quest.
Grinding
  • Most efficient way to max stats and level your notoriety.
  • Mind-numbingly tedious.
  • Very rewarding.
Summary - I believe grinding is essentially the only way of going about the game as it stands, and even in POTCO when quests were not bugged, it was still highly preferred by many pirates. I personally like to run my first pirate through a grind as to create a 'basis' to stand on. Having a high-level pirate will unlock many things to you that are not accessible to lower ones. Doing quests once you reach 50, considering they won't give you anything significant and will be very easy will create a grind of its own, however. Decide for yourself! Good luck!

Well done and jogged my memory of 'menta, since my Big is only l24. Thanks for posting!

Back