"Join User Groups"

Bobby Flat Foot

Pirate Lord
I just noticed this option o: Cool xD
Capture4.PNG

Admins are probably the correct personnel to answer this (i.e. Davy Darkrage), but I'd like to leave a comment anyway ...

Look at this thread: https://piratesforums.co/threads/getting-a-hosted-forum-for-your-guild.155/

If a guild has a certain number of members joining this Forums, then it is eligible to apply to have its own guild forum inside this Forums - especially for its member only. Unless you have a pirate in that guild, you cannot ulitize that function that you pointed out up there. But if you do, that's how you join the "special" forum for that guild, by clicking/putting a check-mark on the check box, on the name of the guild.

Admins are probably the correct personnel to answer this (i.e. Davy Darkrage), but I'd like to leave a comment anyway ...

Look at this thread: https://piratesforums.co/threads/getting-a-hosted-forum-for-your-guild.155/

If a guild has a certain number of members joining this Forums, then it is eligible to apply to have its own guild forum inside this Forums - especially for its member only. Unless you have a pirate in that guild, you cannot ulitize that function that you pointed out up there. But if you do, that's how you join the "special" forum for that guild, by clicking/putting a check-mark on the check box, on the name of the guild.
Hmm We have quite a few of our guild here what kind of benefit I wonder it would have? I'll look into it. Thanks Jade! :D

Jade's got it. I wanted to develop a full-fledged guild manager for the forums, but hadn't had the time so this was a simple solution in the meantime. Basically we setup a guild forum that only certain groups can see, and then have a GM or someone manually approve requests to join that group.

Later this month I do plan to actually get working on some new things for the forums and that will probably be one of them. To be perfectly honest it's been a bit difficult to want to get much done with the future of the game looking so uncertain (imo anyways).

Anyways, I plan to have it so members we approve can create forums and subforums for their guild, appoint trusted members as moderators, and approve/remove members from their guild group. Each guild would also get a custom rank/title thingy under their name. None of this is set in stone so I'm open to suggestions if anyone is interested in their own guild forum.

There needs to be a Spania and Dark Archive User Group..

The key is, the guild is the one that "has to apply", it's not a matter of there needs to be this user group or that user group. This Forums provides that service if any guild needs that type of service; not because we need this user group or that user group. Notice the difference. Some guilds have their own websites that are already elaborate, including probably their own forums. Lets leave it at that.

Hmm, well we already have forums for those topics and appoint our own staff to look over them. What would be the value in turning them into groups when they could just be public and open to everyone? If we did that we might as well separate all forums by groups and have members subscribe to the ones they care about.

Not saying it's out of the question it'd just require significant changes to how the forums are run and I'm not sure if it's beneficial.

Any further opinions on the matter are welcome.

I'm not against glitching really, in most cases they're harmless. For us to 'support' them, they'd definitely have to be.. but I'm not sure whether or not I stand alone with my opinion.

I totally agree with Jack.

One problem, is, though, none of your staff encourage glitching as far as I know of..
What do you mean by encouraging glitching?

Glitching is usually just fun unintentional game bloopers and occasionally easy ways to lvl and get goods.

There's a difference between glitching and hacking though. Glitching is usually harmless fun. Hacking is a definite no in my book.

I still stand on my belief - as Davy said - some glitches are harmful (the ones that crash other's computer, ko afk players, etc.), and some are not harmful (lava glitch to level up grenades, ice glitch on CD, end of the world sailing, etc.) even though some of those glitches might lower the performance of the game. Certain glitches - we really cannot put any measurement that is clear enough to proof how bad they could affect game performance. And some other glitches happen to players accidentally without being desired by the players, such as players got stuck out 'floating' outside the ship, or spawning in some odd places.

In other words, as I stated on another thread (https://piratesforums.co/threads/at-the-edge-of-my-wits.6555/#post-110294), I'm not standing on the 'pro' or 'contra' side of the glitches. It all depends on what kind of glitches those are. As for endorsing or supporting glitchers, I would have to say no. That's because the ones who claim to be glitchers, don't want to be limited on what kind of glitches they are so-called allowed or not allowed to do or discuss in this Forums. For that purpose, I do not think that a separate group discussion for glitchers is necessary to have in here.

Now we are back to the execution reality of having interest group's own forum. Having interest group own forums would defeat the purpose of our "forum". We already have separate topic forums, and each of those basically discusses anything that has something to do with the related topic, with the public as the audience/participants. If a group would like to be exclusive and in its own little world/clique discusses the same topic or other so-called 'secrets', then where would the "forum" application be in that case? This makes a big difference since a user group would have its own moderators, and public cannot see the discussions unless they join the user group. The essence of a forum would be gone if discussion moved to separate user groups.

fo·rum/ˈfôrəm/

Noun:
  1. A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
  2. An Internet message board.

clique/klēk/

Noun:
A small group of people with shared interests, who spend time together and exclude others.

User groups based off of "guilds" are different in nature though. First of all, guilds are community group that are legit on the Potco game. Secondly, different guilds are comparable to different "families". We all could have the same interests on SvS, PvP, glitching, ranking, looting, and so on (game-related) - or in real life: same interests on sports, music, art, technology, and so on - but we are still parts of different families. My family has different value, rules, life styles, philosophy, than your family. So it is understandable that this Forums could accommodate those families/guilds in different groups to discuss "family/guild affairs", that no one outside the families should get involved. I think that's one analogy we could understand this entire situation. So I would have to say "no" to having user groups based on interests.

Reactions: LEO
Back