Discussion Jolly Roger One Shot Pirates at Long Range.

You're point is very intriguing, and while I don't totally agree I can see this solving a lot of boredom problems.. In general TLOPO is just too easy for me and that makes it somewhat less fun.

I'm not asking for it to be impossible or raging, or that every enemy should be a challenge, but that there would be alternative places to go/enemies to fight for those who want more of challenge. Seems like a compromise to me.

I mean red enemies are always so easy, but they're supposedly "Hard challenges"

Well, (and I'm sure this idea is posted somewhere) it'd be nice to have more areas for Max Levels and maybe a new color type for enemies that would be at a so-called "Impossible" level. Maybe the color for them could be something like Purple or Black. Either way yeah, it's one of those "No Brainer" ideas that everyone's gonna want, but is just gonna have to wait for.

Something very serious to consider:
  • As main antagonist/nemesis created by Disney for and during POTCO's time, Jolly Roger is key to the successful functioning of the game (in their eyes). *Every hero in a story needs an archenemy and JR remains the epitome of what Disney tried to do for POTCO's own storyline. (Since Disney claims to be all about sharing the 'magic' of a story, I would bet $$ that JR is suppose to represent a key part of what POTCO was, for them)
A dysfunctional Jolly Roger is a Jolly Roger "hooked on drugs" (more or less). What I mean is, if he can be easily defeated by a pirate standing right next to him while a buccaneer 3 leagues away from him can feel his sting...something incredibly wrong is going on!

*In my eyes, it's crucial to not blow this particular glitch/bug off as if it were nothing. Therefore, I would hope testers and TLOPO would make it their duty to keep everyone updated on anything changed (good or bad) about JR himself!

• As main antagonist/nemesis created by Disney for and during POTCO's time, Jolly Roger is key to the successful functioning of the game (in their eyes). *Every hero in a story needs an archenemy and JR remains the epitome of what Disney tried to do for POTCO's own storyline. (Since Disney claims to be all about sharing the 'magic' of a story, I would bet $$ that JR is suppose to represent a key part of what POTCO was, for them)
A dysfunctional Jolly Roger is a Jolly Roger "hooked on drugs" (more or less). What I mean is, if he can be easily defeated by a pirate standing right next to him while a buccaneer 3 leagues away from him can feel his sting...something incredibly wrong is going on!

*In my eyes, it's crucial to not blow this particular glitch/bug off as if it were nothing. Therefore, I would hope testers and TLOPO would make it their duty to keep everyone updated on anything changed (good or bad) about JR himself!

Very true. Communication and Updates between Developers and Players is a foundation to anything involving the game, but Jolly Roger is of course a finer point to that. To all those such as myself who've passed level 30-35, it becomes a daily battle to level up even once. That being the case, with Roger's XP they give out on those invasions, it's a gold mine for people who are only 10-something levels away from max! Always good to know what's-what with something that important, it ain't all 'bout da' maxes. ;D

But strangely, it's Davy Jones that gets first billing in the movie franchise. I don't recall a mention of Jolly in any of them.

There is a bug where Jolly gets stuck near the gypsy wagon on the way up to the faithful bride on tortuga.

If he gets stuck there he starts killing everyone at long range (like at the edge of the radar where you can barely see his icon) and he takes you down super fast.

If you have ghost form from something like the lost sword of El Patron you can run up to him and kill him, at least that has worked a couple times for me. I might make a video next time if it ever happens again or I bother to login.

That bug tends to happen a lot during Abassa and Andaba invasion on Tortuga. I had it happen that bug happen to me yesterday. It's bad during Abassa and Andaba invasion because pirate get knock out the moment you cross the arch near Faithful Tavern resulting in the in extending invasion time.

Could be a lag issue then? Overwhelming amounts of graphics messing with patrol patterns isn't exactly that rare in games that I've played.

In my experience, there is some kind of glitch at times where his range is way out of proportion. When you cannot even see him in sight and he can instantly kill you seems a bit off. But that doesn't happen all the time. One shot kill is normal but shouldn't be when you are not within sight of him.

In my experience, there is some kind of glitch at times where his range is way out of proportion. When you cannot even see him in sight and he can instantly kill you seems a bit off. But that doesn't happen all the time. One shot kill is normal but shouldn't be when you are not within sight of him.

Is there some issue during invasions that makes you only be able to see your enemies when they're within Ranged Enemy striking distance? I mean is it meant to be that way due to lag, so the game/your computer won't get overwhelmed? Or is it a Graphics Setting thing that changes the range necessary to see your enemies? Is it an Angle problem? Like if I stand straight in front of the incoming enemies, rather than off to the left or right, will I be able to see them at a sniping distance? I mean, when I'm trying to snipe enemies using a Musket, it's kinda hard when I'm forced to walk into the Witchdoctor's/Dual Sword's hitting range, because the game won't load them at a larger distance.

I'm unsure if it's a graphics issue, because if it is, then I'm in a bind. If my graphics are on High, I always freeze up and get disconnected during invasions (or anything with tons of people). Not to mention occasional bits of freezing when doing ANYTHING else. BUT, if my graphics are kept on low, then theoretically (if I'm right) I wouldn't be able to see my enemies at true sniping distance. Someone help me out here. xD

What I was talking about I don't believe is a graphics issue. When we are on one side near the beach but Jolly is on the other side near the dock and a good ways up the path he shouldn't be able to kill people on the opposite side that he is on. That has nothing to do with graphics.

Last edited:
I just discovered another problem. The Faithful Bride started taking Jolly Roger damage before the barricade before it was destroyed. Jolly actually won because of this. Jolly was still outside town and there were no other enemies and suddenly we lost.

I just discovered another problem. The Faithful Bride started taking Jolly Roger damage before the barricade before it was destroyed. Jolly actually won because of this. Jolly was still outside town and there were no other enemies and suddenly we lost.
Your saying you/others were inside the Faithful Bride when this happened?

Your saying you/others were inside the Faithful Bride when this happened?
No I was standing just beyond the Faithful Bride barricade shooting Jolly while he was beyond the barricade outside town, the West Wall barricade I think. That barricade was not yet destroyed and the Faithful Bride Barricade suddenly started taking damage from Jolly. The Bride fell before the West Wall barricade fell. So Jolly won with a barricade still in his path.

No I was standing just beyond the Faithful Bride barricade shooting Jolly while he was beyond the barricade outside town, the West Wall barricade I think. That barricade was not yet destroyed and the Faithful Bride Barricade suddenly started taking damage from Jolly. The Bride fell before the West Wall barricade fell. So Jolly won with a barricade still in his path.
Wonder if your experience can be repeated with the same exact conditions (ie, same server, same amount of pirates, etc). If it can, I'd report it and share that experience again here.

I think when Jolly Roger gets stuck behind a barricade he glitches out. Therefore he could attack pirates and destroy barricade from afar.

Wonder if your experience can be repeated with the same exact conditions (ie, same server, same amount of pirates, etc). If it can, I'd report it and share that experience again here.
I believe it was Abassa (since Andaba has been the popular one lately) but I have no clue since I hopped on after the invasion started. There were not many pirates at all.

It's definitely true that Jolly Roger scales directly with the people that are online for that specific server. I always wanted to be able to test that with him and up until recently I wasnt able to get him all alone until the REALLY early hours in the morning, and also managing the invasion solo to get to him.

Having Kegs, Gypsies, and the unlimited range of the Spanish Skeletons making soloing an invasion a little bit of a pain, but once you finally get to him it's really just a game of "who can last the longest" especially if you are in the mood to test your metal and go at him with a sword like I did.

You usually want to be able to prevent getting hit with his Chain AOE's considering that's where the battle ends for most people (because he follows with another AOE attack right after to seal the deal), which can be done with a weapon (in my case a sword) that has stun immunity. Following after that you want to time it just right to be able to start running back before you get slammed by the lightning bolt (in which does have a limit to how far that ability can reach) that is guaranteed to hit you for almost all of your health - if not all of it.

Before he was nerfed, I was able to manage to take that hit from thunder only once before I absolutely needed to either use doll and life drain, or rely on potions to cover up the gap in health before going back at him again - anyone who takes on the task of going after Jolly has to use both abilities tactfully considering the possible danger of getting stuck in cool down in both skills, while in low health. This still remains the same for the nerfed Jolly Roger that we see now after the update - just a little bit less severe.

Screenshot (272).pngScreenshot (818).pngScreenshot (399).png

Back