Jolly Roger's Island: MORE INFO

Would you have wanted this as a game update? (This includes the new loot, new quest, and the island)

• No, it's too weird to have Aztecs in the Caribbean, even if its Jolly Roger.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well, jzfredskins and I were searching the interwebs for POTCO concept art when we were bored, and he discovered quite a whopper. An Aztec-Themed Jolly Roger Island. Below is a copy-paste from a recently made wiki article about it. Should have all the info you need. :)

As the Raven's Cove storyline began to enter Post-production in April 2010, the POTCO development team began production on their next big story quest project, which involved creating Jolly Roger's Island. The island would most likely serve as a base of operations for Jolly to house his army, and plan his nefarious invasions.
The POTCO development team started churning out themes for the island. A cursed aztec theme was their first venture into the project.

One had a very grand, tropical feel, in which Jolly's palace sat perched atop the highest point of the island, with a waterfall coming out of the palace, and falling to the village below. The village consisted of a fort, and a small town afloat on the water. Presumably, this could be a small outpost of the EITC, as they have been known to have worked with Jolly Roger on multiple occasions.

The Aztec Jungle

Farther up the island are a series of Aztec ruins. These ruins would have presumably had aztec-style undead enemies, as statues from the Phase Files evoke that theme.
Although, there are other Aztec statues that seem to be uncorrupted. Perhaps Jolly's dark magic hadn't reached a specific area of the island yet.
Possible Backstory

The contents of this section is made of pure conjecture..
Based on many points, the Aztec Temples, the Aztec Weapons, and the general look of the island, one can form a possible backstory for the island.
The weapons crafted by the developers for the island seem to hint at El Dorado (spanish for The Golden), which was a lost aztec city made of pure gold. Perhaps this island was indeed El Dorado. The weapons also speak of legendary aztec figures, Quetzalcoatl and Montezuma. Perhaps part of the backstory was that a convoy of Aztecs discovered a way off of South America, and found themselves in the Caribbean. There, they may have constructed a new tribe of aztecs, in which El Dorado was formed, and later discovered by the spanish (hence the ancient fort). Jolly Roger may have killed off the inhabitants and made it his own personal island, or may have discovered it abandoned and took it over.
Update Cancellation

In May 2010, the Aztec development plan was scrapped due to it's development costs being too high. Also in May, another concept artist created a new, more eerie design of the island, in an attempt to salvage the project.
Although the redesign was good for reducing the cost of the update, it was not enough. A developer confirmed that the update was indeed canceled for good, as they moved on to the Ship Customization update as a new, successful venture.
680px-Screen_Shot_2012-01-06_at_12.27.06_PM.png
Links to Unreleased WeaponS

While the Aztec Island went under production, another section of the POTCO team created and finished Aztec-themed weapons and items for the update. Although the actual island will most likely never be released, we may see these weapons in the future.
FOR MORE INFO, AND EXCLUSIVE SCREENSHOTS, CLICK HERE.

If they had, had money for this... The potential that concept had was through the roof. That would have opened SO many doors for this game. (Not to mention all that looks pretty epic)

But alas... I guess not all things are meant to be...

In May 2010, the Aztec development plan was scrapped due to it's development costs being too high. Also in May, another concept artist created a new, more eerie design of the island, in an attempt to salvage the project.

Although the redesign was good for reducing the cost of the update, it was not enough. A developer confirmed that the update was indeed canceled for good, as they moved on to the Ship Customization update as a new, successful venture.
While the high cost was the "reason" they game for them to decide to ultimately scrap/cancel this project, I am no longer buying into that excuse!

Come on, Disney! :furious: If there would have been enough $ money $ available to projects such as this in the first place, perhaps DIMG would not have the reputation it has now as the lowest profitable division within The Walt Disney Company. In addition, perhaps POTCO could have had comparable growth (or beyond) what Club Penguin has provided thus far within DIMG and overall, for the company.

In the end, it comes down to choice; they had a choice :facepalm: to do what they did to POTCO and no amount of lies or excuse about lack of funds will ever convince this scallywag of a pirate that the demand and potential for POTCO was in any way, lacking.

This Jolly Roger Island/Aztec theme would have created more demand for POTCO, :piratemickey: make no mistake about that, me hearties!

I think we should all email POTCO and tell them that they really need to Renew this update, we could also send feedback in the game. They probably wont but its worth a try!! Who is with me?

I am. Like Shamus said, the 'money' problem is just an excuse. There is no excuse as far as money IF DIMG/Disney management decides that is something worth pursuing. It is a matter of priority, where their money goes (to start another group of games such as Infinity, or to pursue other gaming strategy such as mobile or social networking ones, etc). The way I see it, creating another island with an entirely new group of adventure, including type of enemies, ships, weapons, etc. is not much different than the addition of Raven's Cove. If they could come up with Raven's Cove, they certainly could with Aztec theme.

Btw, Aztec is still located in the great Americas; it makes more sense adding this theme than adding 'Singapore', for instance.

Btw, Aztec is still located in the great Americas; it makes more sense adding this theme than adding 'Singapore', for instance.
While I do agree that a POTCO storyline quest for Singapore could be practical as well...:)...the point is there are multiple options available to help further the development of this game beyond the state to where it is currently stands. As such, there remain three big hurdles (I feel) that are holding this game back from it's true potential:
  1. "Someone" (or possibly 2-3 people) within Disney/DIMG are making fateful decisions concerning POTCO's role. I am assuming that this person (or persons) are totally unaware of what this game truly means to us as players. Therefore, our voice will never be legitimately heard if the right person(s) fails to understand our message.
  2. POTCO needs a entirely new upgrade inorder for future projects to be added to improve the stability and future demand for the game.
  3. POTCO's life-expectancy needs to go beyond that of the POTC/Jack Sparrow movies and the only way I see this achieved is for the game to be taken seriously, be given the funding it needs to defeat the various challenges set in place against it, and provide the job security game developers both seek and need inorder to work long-term on the project to assure it's life-expectancy.
As I see it, if they are able to do the exact things for their Club Penguin then they certainly can do the same exact thing for POTCO! :duh:

Man, this would've been the best update yet. If they had all this planned, why would they give us a year of ... NOTHING???

Well, it's still not too late, if they would take the time to upgrade their servers, then fix all the lag and bugs, put software into place to stop hackers, etc. they could certainly bring an update like this into the game.

Now... if they would only do those things... :/

Wow that's depressing to see what ship upgrades and the island could have been.

Suddenly this comes to mind...

Elizabeth Swann (Players): There will come a time when you have a chance to do the right thing.
Jack Sparrow (Disney): I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by.

The above video is a part of a POTCO developer's design portfolio. I edited out other parts that included Toontown, and an unannounced under-development Disney MMO (and no, the game isn't anything to get excited over) that may get the developer in trouble if that part of the video was published.​
At the very end of the video, there's an overview of Jolly Roger's island.​

Back