Discussion Just going to post this here

I suggested a stronger focus on story and characters in the form of GM events for the community to interact and be part of an overarching plot long ago. It didn't exactly end well for me for reasons I am still trying to figure out.
Things like the Feats of Strength Competition and the Brethren Feasts are what kept me hooked in the original game.
The stories with the Marceline Guild and the EITC Black Guard and the Casa de Muertos were quite interesting to me. The Caribbean Ghost Hunts.
All of those are basically gone now, and there doesn't seem to be an interest in replacing them. I would do them myself if I could, but I'm not in any position to do so.
For me, the height of the game was the Raven's Cove Story Quest and the Hollowed Woods Quest because it actually had some interesting story to it. Everything else after that sort of... blended together. Hence why I have to fill in a bunch of blanks and just come up with ways to keep myself entertained.
Having Roleplay Events return would be a good step towards the community interacting with the staff in a way other than badgering them about when the new content is going to be released. Those are the kinds of things I stuck around for and those are my rose filtered glasses for this game. The story. God knows it's not the six hour clicking extravaganza with Remington and the Lads.

I'm going to be very honest, disregarding the tone of voice he uses when speaking about the game, he makes very valid and strong points towards features that would highly benefit the game. He's not wrong, and personally I agree with every one of his points. Hopefully, @The Crew notices this, and these points can be taken more seriously.

I may as well mention, considering what he said about looting taking up a huge majority of the game, it goes without saying that staff should really pay close attention to the looters in the community regarding topics like trading. Handling something as important as trading the wrong way could have a detrimental impact on the population of the game and looters as a whole. Although this video hasn't anything to do with trading, It still focuses on the "future" of TLOPO as a game. With that being said, regarding trading legendaries, a great median to suffice for both, the players who want legendaries to be tradeable, and those who will quit if they are, would be to allow for only silver freeze & the lost sword of el patron to be traded.

Anyways, I just wanted to give my little piece on the subject. Hopefully, we can see certain features this person has discussed, added to the game at some point. There is a lot to think about and discuss here.

I'm going to be very honest, disregarding the tone of voice he uses when speaking about the game, he makes very valid and strong points towards features that would highly benefit the game. He's not wrong, and personally I agree with every one of his points.
One thing that does concern me is the stronger emphasis on PvP that he seemed to be going for. It could just be me, but in my experience and that of my fellows, the PvP, SvS, and even Material Running communities seem to attract some of the most malicious individuals in the game, where a person's worth is measured by their in-game level and how good they are at beating other players. Anyone who doesn't measure up is deemed as a lesser, and left behind, rather than being helped so that they can actually improve.
Having a server dedicated solely to that seems like it would become an incubator for some very, very nasty behaviour.

It could just be me, but in my experience and that of my fellows, the PvP, SvS, and even Material Running communities seem to attract some of the most malicious individuals in the game, where a person's worth is measured by their in-game level and how good they are at beating other players. Anyone who doesn't measure up is deemed as a lesser, and left behind, rather than being helped so that they can actually improve.
Having a server dedicated solely to that seems like it would become an incubator for some very, very nasty behaviour.
I agree with some of this though I never participated much in SVS or PVP in Potco due to extreme lag issues I have seen many very malicious players among the PVP crowd. Not stereotyping all of them but the PVP environment did seem to encourage a lot of abusive behavior directed toward other players by some of these individuals. Important point to make! Not everyone playing Tlopo or the old Potco for that matter enjoys PVP, many dislike sailing. In my view forcing individuals to participate in activities they dislike will only result in more players leaving. There needs to be balance between various activities. It is my belief that greatly improving the sailing loot drops until they are at least comparable to looting land bosses will increase the numbers of player ships sailing the game world and possibly attract more new players. I believe forcing everyone into a PVP environment in order to access prime loot will have the opposite effect. Increasing loot in treasure fleets will bring more people into that pursuit as will bringing back the Queen Ann's Revenge with decent rewards. In the old Potco there were many players who while the new ship customization brought new content would have preffered it to be an optional thing rather than being forced on them after filling their cargo hold. The trading issue has been much needed since the old potco days and yes trading Legendaries and cursed weapons should be allowed since many players end up with duplicates.

Last edited:
Not stereotyping all of them but the PVP environment did seem to encourage a lot of abusive behavior directed toward other players by some of these individuals.

I think that applies to PvP in virtually every game, unfortunately. There is no such thing as a friendly competition anymore. And if the only qualification to get into some PvP or SvS-focused Guilds is to be a Master Pirate and have the right legendary weapons, then they're going to accept a lot of cruel people without question. Then you have whole groups of these people. It will even extend outside the game itself in some cases, where there is no such thing as moderation or chat filters. I have seen it, and it has happened to my friends. And they won't be held responsible. Not good.

I've seen it too in the old Potco. We have had groups of those type in the game since it was originally launched and it did extend to chat. Personally with the chat I'd like to see more moderation and less filtration. It is ridiculous when you cannot even say the name of your pirate or guild in the chat or use simple abbreviated terms due to excessive filtration. There are antisocial people and behaviors in most online games. If moderation is handled properly they quickly weed themselves out of the game world.

I've seen it too in the old Potco. We have had groups of those type in the game since it was originally launched and it did extend to chat. Personally with the chat I'd like to see more moderation and less filtration. It is ridiculous when you cannot even say the name of your pirate or guild in the chat or use simple abbreviated terms due to excessive filtration. There are antisocial people and behaviors in most online games. If moderation is handled properly they quickly weed themselves out of the game world.
If it were up to me, they would have users who frequently play the game and have relatively clean histories watch out for those behaviours and then take note of the most problematic people. Screenshots and what not. I don't know if they can be held responsible for harassment outside the game such as in Discord groups where it's likely worse and we've seen the worst of it, but they can keep an eye on people in-game. Something as simple as a Material Run turned into the ship Captain and the rest of the crew bashing someone because he had a hard time hitting the targets, and simply asked them to slow the ship down a little bit. They went on a mocking rant about how this "noob" simply "didn't understand the importance of how efficient this method is" and how "other players always praised their sailing," as if that gives them any right. Give me a break.

Last edited:
Problem with having players do it and possibly even finding moderators to monitor this sort of thing is, where to you draw the line? Where does it become abuse. A moderator has to deal with these issues on a case by case basis and must have sound and fair judgement. Back in the day I would sometimes make my ship public and take on a crew from Abassa Tortuga. Many of these people were new players and often kids who couldn't follow simple instructions such as not to shoot at everything around us at the same time getting us sunk. Or not to grab the wheel the moment I got on a cannon. My solution was removing those individuals from crew and marooning them on an island with high level monsters and surrounded by high level enemy ships. Would that be considered abuse?

Last edited:
The whitelist is the best place for that people can be childish on this game and mods can't be on 24/7 to watch cause as we all know they are not paid. So I don't think less filter would ever really happen. I do however like the pvp idea as g-man said in the video could be something to look into

One thing that does concern me is the stronger emphasis on PvP that he seemed to be going for. It could just be me, but in my experience and that of my fellows, the PvP, SvS, and even Material Running communities seem to attract some of the most malicious individuals in the game, where a person's worth is measured by their in-game level and how good they are at beating other players. Anyone who doesn't measure up is deemed as a lesser, and left behind, rather than being helped so that they can actually improve.
PvP on any game, competition, always brings out people that will be toxic or those who might say disrespectful things. That's typically expected and nothing can be done about that. Saying we shouldn't add features to those categories because of that isn't too fair.

Back to the original topic and the video posted by Joseph Grey. He did touch on an issue that I see as very important and something that should be a higher priority than new content and that is concentrating efforts on fixing game breaking bugs. Many aren't able to proceed in quests due to crash issues many of these quests such as the Black Pearl and the Ravens Cove quest are essential to game advancement for higher level content. I believe these bug issues are the main reason why all but us who are very dedicated to the game leave the game.

Last edited:
PvP on any game, competition, always brings out people that will be toxic or those who might say disrespectful things. That's typically expected and nothing can be done about that. Saying we shouldn't add features to those categories because of that isn't too fair.
If those features are going to be added, then they should come with a plan to make sure that an increase in harassment doesn’t come with them.

I am sure the crew is trying hard to fix these bugs you speak of. It takes time just like everything. I also do think they have plans to add new quest lines just like everything else tho it takes time and we have to remember they all have a life as well.

I don't think they are really pushing it on anyone just opening the door for the people that want to take the risk of looting there. Although I may of misunderstood this that is my take on it.

Back