Suggestion Kickable option for Captain?

jeromy384

Dockworker
Hi! I haven't been here long, but I've seem to come across something that is frustrating to people, its a type of people that's annoying and unfair to others. The type of people I talk about are the lazy pirates that join other ships and AFK on the ship as they go plundering around, other people do their part and actually make sure the ship is successful, but looters and lazy people are seemingly going around, joining ships, AFKing and taking up slots that could be used for people that actually can help the captain get loot. I was thinking and wondering if its possible to have a kick-able option for the captain of the ship, or maybe even a ban option so they won't have to deal with that and have a full crew that is actually helpful. Not sure if anyone else has this issue, but I for one find this rather annoying. thanks for reading!

Hi, this topic has been just about exhausted on this forum. The main argument against it is that we haven't found a way to prevent abuse. Gold and loot are currently evenly divided among the players on a ship, and with this option, the captain could just kick everyone off before dropping anchor, or kick off any low-levels, preventing them from ever increasing their skills (assuming it becomes a consistent enough problem) or joining other players on mat runs.

On the other side of the coin, your argument is a strong one. Nobody's solved the initial problem yet, though. If you have any potential solutions in mind, I'm sure everyone would love to hear it.

I would recommend searching next time before making a suggestion thread.

Hi, this topic has been just about exhausted on this forum. The main argument against it is that we haven't found a way to prevent abuse. Gold and loot are currently evenly divided among the players on a ship, and with this option, the captain could just kick everyone off before dropping anchor, or kick off any low-levels, preventing them from ever increasing their skills (assuming it becomes a consistent enough problem) or joining other players on mat runs.

On the other side of the coin, your argument is a strong one. Nobody's solved the initial problem yet, though. If you have any potential solutions in mind, I'm sure everyone would love to hear it.

I apologize, i didn't see it, but thanks for your response.

It's fine, I just wanted to address it before people came and started bashing you. This is a problem that desperately needs a solution, but with all the threads about it, it's like nobody wants to pay attention to it anymore. Which is unfortunate, because I'd really love to see this implemented to some degree.

Anyway, they'll probably lock it if no constructive discussion comes out of it. Any ideas?

"The main argument against it is that we haven't found a way to prevent abuse."
My answer is off topic, but that argument has no merit as no one can prove the abuse exists. In pve that is, I don't know and don't care what kind of abuses goes on in pvp, and assuming pvp abuse could continue into pve may not be a valid point of contention when it's only a prediction. We only truly would know if we had the option.

Last edited:
True, it's been talked about before and I'm sure everyone knows my opinion but I'll give it again anyway, lol. I'm for it and I disagree with those who cry abuse. It's the captain's ship and the captain should have the power to remove trolls and afkers.

I think it should be in the rules that you can't exploit another's ship. Then all we'd have to do is report them for disciplinary action. I say this because, it's gotten out of control lately and I have noticed it's the same usual suspects and I would love to see them held accountable.

if i remember correctly there was an option to kick people from ship in potco if you were the captain
If that were true, then the devs may have the code already to implement it. So they may looking at it from a personal sentiment viewpoint of the community. But from my observations on other threads about this and also trading, it seems the vocal minority who is holding sway in comments against. And the minority are populated with long time members deep into the community and probably hold more weight than they should on a open game and forum. Not that this is unique.

i could be wrong but if i recall correctly there was an option i would need to go do some hunting for a pick or video or something but im pretty sure it was there

The boot option is SVS specific. And I assume part of the reason why this is not an across the board option was to prevent potential abuse.

However, I'm not sure why any captain would simply boot all of his crew before porting - having more people aboard increasing the loot haul. It would be against your best interest to boot a working crew.

And booting someone for simply NOT being busy can be a problem if you have a full 12/12 crew but only 7 gun stations facing your enemy and 2-3 repair stations that may or not be needed at the time. The captain while sailing can't really tell if someone is working a gun, repairing or hiding in a corner.

A couple of things that would help is having a Crew Repair icon. Right now, being on a ship shows a Ship or Cannon icon. The other idea I had was adding indicators to the Ship Health HUD that would show which guns were being used.

Shiphealth.png

I'm sure that's asking a bit much of the devs for the time being.

For now, the best way to lose freeloaders is to uncrew them or only crew pirates who are actively helping, port then relaunch - then turn off Public.

i could be wrong but if i recall correctly there was an option i would need to go do some hunting for a pick or video or something but im pretty sure it was there
@darkmastertristan
As inter said, and I think he's correct that the kick option may have been only in PVP. You are most likely thinking of PVP.
But there's no way to know what abuse if any would exist if we had kick in PVE. It makes no sense to argue a point that doesn't exist yet.
And use a non existing point to attempt to stop a good idea.
GL

The only fair solution here, as I always say, is to be able to ban players from boarding your ship on a one on one basis. You see a mooch you don't like, you ban them from boarding again with the click of a mouse. It doesn't have to be permanent, but it should exist to block unwanted players who board just to mooch and do nothing else except fill space needed for active players.
It would be similar to blocking all those guild requests for the rest of the game session, etc.
But alas, the whole point of being a pirate is to mooch, steal, etc, so I'm guessing the devs are only staying true to that ideology.
But if everyone was a mooch, then what?

Crashalot has a good plan there. Even an afk player put the time in to board the ship, so they should get that loot at the very least. As long as they can't boar again after they get paid, the problem is solved. Another option could be a vote right? The captain has to start the vote of course, but then a majority of the other crewmembers have to agree to it maybe? Could still be abused by a guild, but in that case everyon on the ship has to be an stupidhead, not just the captain.

Back