Suggestion Knock it off with the threads about trading.

Creaven

Notorious Pirate
Can we please for the sake of god stop with threads like these? Why do we have to create six thousand threads about something that we have certainly not seen before on these forums? Every time a thread like this is created it just instantly turns into a huge crapfest and people just senselessly throw crap comments at eachother's opinion and what not. Every time another thread is created it just loses it actual value after a page with comments or two. People also rather tend to jump off-topic rather quickly and just straight up ignore the OP.

Now I am far from the type to come up with things like this but it's honestly just turning into something that is becoming annoying. We have a good chunk of threads about trading and people are just honestly coming up with the same question every time but worded differently. I am 100 % sure that the TLOPO staff will eventually come up with a poll or whatsoever about trading if they really want the community their input on the matter.

I come here everyday to browse the forums for general discussions, checking to see what loot people get, announcements and more but certainly not because I want to see all kinds of threads about the same darn thing. 1 thread is enough and we've had plenty of them in the past.

Edit: Please note that the screenshot down below is simply edited and not true in any way. There are no rules against the dicussion of threads or anything but it's simply something I put together to indicate what point I'm trying to bring over to you guys.

e3b19cb1d789c8ec4fa8e73e5cef9ff9.png

Please just make this happen already.

Last edited:
I agree with you, the only reason I made a thread is because in other threads talking about trading the user who posted them would shout people down when they would talk about something OP didn't deem "on topic." There were several threads posted under the assumption trading is happening and anyone who posted saying trading is a bad idea was told to not post that on the thread.

So, no trading thoughts about trading vs not trading and the tirades and barbs traded that accompany them in trade then?

Can we please for the sake of god stop with threads like these? Why do we have to create six thousand threads about something that we have certainly not seen before on these forums? Every time a thread like this is created it just instantly turns into a huge crapfest and people just senselessly throw crap comments at eachother's opinion and what not. Every time another thread is created it just loses it actual value after a page with comments or two. People also rather tend to jump off-topic rather quickly and just straight up ignore the OP.

Now I am far from the type to come up with things like this but it's honestly just turning into something that is becoming annoying. We have a good chunk of threads about trading and people are just honestly coming up with the same question every time but worded differently. I am 100 % sure that the TLOPO staff will eventually come up with a poll or whatsoever about trading if they really want the community their input on the matter.

I come here everyday to browse the forums for general discussions, checking to see what loot people get, announcements and more but certainly not because I want to see all kinds of threads about the same darn thing. 1 thread is enough and we've had plenty of them in the past.

That is ridiculous. Just shut down the forums then. I tried to have 1 discussion about the mechanics of trading, and one yes and no thread just about 'who cares what you do with your crap' question. And it's the minority of a certain party that keeps hijacking the threads. It's not my fault and I tried to maintain an even keel of just these two threads.
The simple solution, instead of forcing your displeasure and will on the rest of the forum is for you to ignore those threads. You can ignore a topic/thread just like people.
Why aren't you complaining about the 30 threads about looting and brights?
Get over yourself.
Although you're completely correct about how fast a thread falls apart. A big part of this is people barely reading the topic, or not at all but seeing what interests them and not bothering to read any of the discussion, thus posting the same stuff over and over. There's no way to control this conduct at all, so might as well ignore people and threads. I hate to do that, but you can't just demand open forums to be shut down because you don't like looking at them or they're annoying.

I did exactly that with the cannon control crap and realized I can't demand anything when it's a public forum or game.
GL

Last edited:
I agree with you, the only reason I made a thread is because in other threads talking about trading the user who posted them would shout people down when they would talk about something OP didn't deem "on topic." There were several threads posted under the assumption trading is happening and anyone who posted saying trading is a bad idea was told to not post that on the thread.
Sorry dude, that's a lie. Please post your example of such a statement. You made another thread? Was it implying trading is bad?
And there were not several other threads assuming trading. You're just embellishing to falsely support your contention.
Please don't insult peoples intelligence.

And sharktooth, please respond in public as PM personal attacks are not appreciated, so don't PM me again.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I hate to do that, but you can't just demand open forums to be shut down because you don't like looking at them or they're annoying.
I am not demanding a open forums to be shut down because I myself dont like a certain topic that is being discussed by everyone on here. See it as a request for intervention from the forum staff. I do feel like there has to be a clear border when it comes to people creating tons of threads about the same single thing.

I can understand if you feel targeted by this suggestions / post but just know that this is far from being aimed at you. It is rather the people who decide to devalue the thread and honestly ignore the general goal of the thread itself and enough is enough. Both threads that you created were fine to me since they actually turned into a discussion as shown below but with the current works of things we will have a new thread every week about trading and why we should or should not add it.

8f74834579a7df3f459cd1c8e61fa068.png

b9d055f5c6fd07589c6862cad050ff86.png

Lets not forget this jewel;

b59e6ccf35d59e17032a95fb524b10dc.png

I'm perfectly fine with discussions about trading but I'm simply not okay with having multiple threads with the same goal and the same question stickied to them. It is plain unecessary and rather inconvenient for both the public and the staff.

i dont know, i think the more discussion the better for when it eventually is or isnt added.

I am not demanding a open forums to be shut down because I myself dont like a certain topic that is being discussed by everyone on here. See it as a request for intervention from the forum staff. I do feel like there has to be a clear border when it comes to people creating tons of threads about the same single thing.

I can understand if you feel targeted by this suggestions / post but just know that this is far from being aimed at you. It is rather the people who decide to devalue the thread and honestly ignore the general goal of the thread itself and enough is enough. Both threads that you created were fine to me since they actually turned into a discussion as shown below but with the current works of things we will have a new thread every week about trading and why we should or should not add it.

8f74834579a7df3f459cd1c8e61fa068.png

b9d055f5c6fd07589c6862cad050ff86.png

Lets not forget this jewel;

b59e6ccf35d59e17032a95fb524b10dc.png

I'm perfectly fine with discussions about trading but I'm simply not okay with having multiple threads with the same goal and the same question stickied to them. It is plain unecessary and rather inconvenient for both the public and the staff.
heyy thats me lol

I totally agree. There is far too much about trading at this point. At first it was very constructive and I contributed quite a bit to some of those first threads that were honestly discussing the idea. I used to be for it, but I have grown to be against it. And honestly, I was not convinced by any of the opposing arguments. I more just got sick of people blowing up at each other for no reason.

It's better to keep the game the way it is; avoid the argument all together.

I totally agree. There is far too much about trading at this point. At first it was very constructive and I contributed quite a bit to some of those first threads that were honestly discussing the idea. I used to be for it, but I have grown to be against it. And honestly, I was not convinced by any of the opposing arguments. I more just got sick of people blowing up at each other for no reason.

It's better to keep the game the way it is; avoid the argument all together.
if the game stays exactly as it is, it's going to die out. The game is amazing, but there is more that needs to be added for longevity and new players.

if the game stays exactly as it is, it's going to die out. The game is amazing, but there is more that needs to be added for longevity and new players.
I highly disagree with the idea of adding trading, It's entirely pointless and would only aid the lazy. Regardless even then it wouldn't be of much help.

Just so everyone is on the same page...

I NEVER posted this thread stating that there was a rule revision regarding trading.
There is NO BAN on trading discussion. (I for one am a proponent FOR trading!)

Please accept the post as the authors attempt at humor.
Well, that's certainly interesting. I'm not sure I see the humor. Was it meant as satire?
Unfortunately I didn't catch the joke and took it serious.
Ah well.

The regulars on these forums are a small subset of an already small number of people that still play this game. I think I only play it for the nostalgia at this point. As a very casual player, it won't affect me much whether or not trading is added, although I can see why someone more invested in the game might support it or oppose it.

743Mm4j.png

If you want to get a rise out of a TLOPO player, all you've got to do is either insult/critique the game's developers, or threaten the player's prestige.

The problem starts at the beginning of the model above. When a thread starts with a leading question, an assumption, or a blanket judgement, you're going to see a lot of backlash from people who don't share the same opinion. Cue defensiveness on both sides, only to devolve into off-topic conversation or even witch hunting until the thread becomes locked or buried. This isn't a good way to encourage discussion.

If I wanted to assess how people felt about trading, I would need to consider both sides a valid stance. If I wanted to change someone's mind, I could first offer a couple of reasons why we should or shouldn't support trading (even if I don't particularly share one or the other beliefs, I could give other reasons that have been listed by others, or try to come up with some on my own), then encourage people to share their opinions, with a poll at the top of the screen. This approach doesn't make any assumptions, it gets the obvious arguments out of the way, and makes people more receptive to building on top of what others have said instead of tearing it down only to flatly say "no." Unfortunately, we haven't seen enough of this.

In the last few weeks we have seen plenty of "yes," "no," and ultimatums like "if TLOPO adds trading, I'm quitting the game". It's no wonder we haven't gotten anywhere, we're just saying the same thing louder and making threats, which forces a divide in the community. Worse, when a thread like this reaches a dead end, you get people making new threads just to increase the visibility of their opinions.

And we as a community, continue to learn nothing, as evidenced by this thread.

You definitely want to report duplicate or similar threads to keep the spam down, though. I'm kind of surprised nobody did that. We wouldn't be here right now if people just did that.

I predict that trading will be added, not even be that significant of a feature, and the people who threatened to quit will get used to it (or even come to appreciate it). And in the end, TLOPO players will find something new to get collectively mad about, as is tradition.

@Deckshot worded it perfectly so I'll just hide my original reply in a 'spoiler' thing since it would be restating a few points and the other post is just better at conveying how I feel.

I have no opinion when it comes to trading. I would like everyone to call it player trading instead of trading. Because I hope that one day actual trading mechanics, materials obtained through the game world, and trading vessels are added into the game.

I'm against any form of suppression and am all for free speech. It's only natural for players to discuss content that'll bring more life to the game. Also, thread duplicates should be of no concern to us unless we're forums administrators. I think they already merge relevant topics in certain megathreads so they can do the same for trading (if they don't do that already).

I understand that some people like to see a larger range of threads in the recent activity box, but a lot can be done to fix that (eg: have a new box showing the 'hot' or 'trending' topics within the forums or simply ignore the threads).

The fact that this has been deemed to be a 'severe' problem between the players only says a lot about the forums community as opposed to the idea. It isn't player trading that's causing this divide, it's the players. Everyone should calm down and not be at each other's throats simply because they disagree about something.

The regulars on these forums are a small subset of an already small number of people that still play this game. I think I only play it for the nostalgia at this point. As a very casual player, it won't affect me much whether or not trading is added, although I can see why someone more invested in the game might support it or oppose it.

743Mm4j.png

If you want to get a rise out of a TLOPO player, all you've got to do is either insult/critique the game's developers, or threaten the player's prestige.

The problem starts at the beginning of the model above. When a thread starts with a leading question, an assumption, or a blanket judgement, you're going to see a lot of backlash from people who don't share the same opinion. Cue defensiveness on both sides, only to devolve into off-topic conversation or even witch hunting until the thread becomes locked or buried. This isn't a good way to encourage discussion.

If I wanted to assess how people felt about trading, I would need to consider both sides a valid stance. If I wanted to change someone's mind, I could first offer a couple of reasons why we should or shouldn't support trading (even if I don't particularly share one or the other beliefs, I could give other reasons that have been listed by others, or try to come up with some on my own), then encourage people to share their opinions, with a poll at the top of the screen. This approach doesn't make any assumptions, it gets the obvious arguments out of the way, and makes people more receptive to building on top of what others have said instead of tearing it down only to flatly say "no." Unfortunately, we haven't seen enough of this.

In the last few weeks we have seen plenty of "yes," "no," and ultimatums like "if TLOPO adds trading, I'm quitting the game". It's no wonder we haven't gotten anywhere, we're just saying the same thing louder and making threats, which forces a divide in the community. Worse, when a thread like this reaches a dead end, you get people making new threads just to increase the visibility of their opinions.

You definitely want to report duplicate or similar threads to keep the spam down, though. I'm kind of surprised nobody did that. We wouldn't be here right now if people just did that.

I predict that trading will be added, not even be that significant of a feature, and the people who threatened to quit will get used to it (or even come to appreciate it). And in the end, TLOPO players will find something new to get collectively mad about, as is tradition.
I agree extra threads that are obvious dupes or start with premises such as this "I know there have been several trading debate thread posted lately, but they have been either closed or people haven't posted on them in a while. And since the current threads on trading don't want any other opinions," should be reported and let the mods decide. We also can't control a persons style of reading forums. Not many will read the thread itself, but respond to the OP, thus causing most the times an unintentional recap or observance of the obvious that ten people had already posted. The difficult thing is to not lash out at the people who do this without realizing it.

Wouldnt it be easier to just add it in instead of trying to stop every single person from talking about it lol...

I get its annoying and I agree with you, but if a large majority of the community keeps suggesting it, that's one of the things that decide whether people like a game or not.

If we see the dev's are listening to our suggestions and approving the most popular ones, that makes a game that much better. Yes we never had trading before but we also never had customizable sails on our ships either so I mean... you cant cherry pick

Back