Should they add a kraken to the game?

• Yes

Votes: 22 95.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
I know this would be copying Sea of Thieves, but I think adding a kraken to the game would be a cool sea boss instead of the Ship of the Line.

I know this would be copying Sea of Thieves, but I think adding a kraken to the game would be a cool sea boss instead of the Ship of the Line.

How is this "copying" Sea of Thieves exactly? Far as i can see, nobody owns the copyright to the Kraken which existed in myth centuries before now.

I agree it would be nice for the Kraken to be added but calling it "copying" is a bit of a stretch imo.

I think the addition of the infamous Kraken would mark a staple in the game's progress, but true, I'd definitely like to see it's addition into TLOPO as either a Treasure Map battle or an event. I think that'd be lovely.

Also, as stated above by Arabella, Sea of Thieves doesn't have a 'claim' on the input of the kraken, as it is not only mythical folklore from sailors, but also has its own place in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. (See movies 2 & 3)

Lol, it would not be copying SOT. POTCO had plans and concepts for the kraken to be added into the game from the beginning of creation. The Grape Shot ammo had a purpose. https://piratesonline.fandom.com/wiki/Grape_Shot Check out that page on the wiki. The original description for the grape shot can be found there, but I'll go ahead and add the image here as well.

Here is the page on the kraken as well. https://piratesonline.fandom.com/wiki/Kraken It shows at the bottom how the game developers for POTCO had plans to add this into the game. Take note also that the game trailer for POTCO DID have the kraken in it. That is why the POTCO players had anxiously waited for the addition of it to the game, but unfortunately that never happened. There is also mention of the Developer Diaries there, where they did talk about the kraken being added as a boss battle.

Unlimited access players had access to a special game Call of the Kraken for a time in POTCO. This I think is also where the Kraken Tattoo had come from? Someone correct me if I'm wrong please. I unfortunately did not have unlimited access during that time in POTCO, so I never did have the opportunity to try out that separate game. Information for that game can also be found on the kraken page on the wiki.

So, as you can see, the kraken would NOT be copying SOT as this was a concept from the original game that was unfortunately never added.

Unlimited access players had access to a special game Call of the Kraken for a time in POTCO. This I think is also where the Kraken Tattoo had come from? Someone correct me if I'm wrong please. I unfortunately did not have unlimited access during that time in POTCO, so I never did have the opportunity to try out that separate game. Information for that game can also be found on the kraken page on the wiki.

Correctamundo! The Kraken tattoo (which can now be found during the Hollowed Woods Halloween event, from the tattoo parlor) was originally only available through the Call of the Kraken minigame.

Looking at the links, did anyone notice the action bar with the pirates face at the bottom, pretty much like the original Doom screen?
Rather cool looking.
Yes, Kraken made it into the game as a mini game, but not in potco directly as far as I can tell. Someone on this forum has links to that mini game that still work. I played it. But it would be a definite feather in barbarossa's hat if tlopo pulled it off as a full blown Caribbean event or quest, or even a random surprise attack near the edge of the world area. Sure to make a few pirates soil their circus breeches.

How is this "copying" Sea of Thieves exactly? Far as i can see, nobody owns the copyright to the Kraken which existed in myth centuries before now.

I agree it would be nice for the Kraken to be added but calling it "copying" is a bit of a stretch imo.
Lol, it would not be copying SOT. POTCO had plans and concepts for the kraken to be added into the game from the beginning of creation. The Grape Shot ammo had a purpose. https://piratesonline.fandom.com/wiki/Grape_Shot Check out that page on the wiki. The original description for the grape shot can be found there, but I'll go ahead and add the image here as well.

Here is the page on the kraken as well. https://piratesonline.fandom.com/wiki/Kraken It shows at the bottom how the game developers for POTCO had plans to add this into the game. Take note also that the game trailer for POTCO DID have the kraken in it. That is why the POTCO players had anxiously waited for the addition of it to the game, but unfortunately that never happened. There is also mention of the Developer Diaries there, where they did talk about the kraken being added as a boss battle.

So, as you can see, the kraken would NOT be copying SOT as this was a concept from the original game that was unfortunately never added.
Well, I guess it wouldn't be copying but Sea of Thieves already had a kraken

I think the Kraken should be part of a quest. A quest that is basically a continuation of the Ravens Cove Quest; you can only get it if you have the black spot, hence the Kraken is after you. The quest should be to open Isla Escondida and include Davy Jones and The Flying Dutchman along with the introduction of new more powerful weapons and enemies and a new, 4th level, loot container that can contain at least a rare and up to a new "super legendary". The new weapons would not be cursed but would only be able to those who complete the quest, the quests would basically be to defeat the Kraken and lift the curse.

Last edited:
I think the Kraken should be part of a quest. A quest that is basically a continuation of the Ravens Cove Quest; you can only get it if you have the black spot, hence the Kraken is after you. The quest should be to open Isla Escondida and include Davy Jones and The Flying Dutchman along with the introduction of new more powerful weapons and enemies and a new, 4th level, loot container that can contain at least a rare and up to a new "super legendary". The new weapons would not be cursed but would only be able to those who complete the quest, the quests would basically be to defeat the Kraken and lift the curse.
Might as well go beta with a tlopo2. That's a pretty full scenario there.

I thought the devs said a while ago that they were working on adding in the kraken. I thought it was part of the Escondida story line.

Not to mention the fact that I thought the devs promised its eventual development way early in TLOPO because it had never actually been added to POTCO.

I thought the devs said a while ago that they were working on adding in the kraken. I thought it was part of the Escondida story line.

Not to mention the fact that I thought the devs promised its eventual development way early in TLOPO because it had never actually been added to POTCO.
They at least implied it, maybe a bit short of announcing with their teaser. I, as you no doubt can tell, am on that bandwagon. I guess that Hollowed Woods and Forsaken Shallows were tests for such an update but it seems it is not ready yet or perhaps they are waiting for some of the potco bugs and content to launch before releasing it???

Even though Sea of Thieves already has a Kraken, Pirates Online had a Kraken trailer LOOOONG before Sea of Thieves was even a thought in someone's head. The development of the Kraken was so far along to the point that in game assets of it were used in making a trailer for the game. In-game, grape shot also TO THIS DAY has a description that includes "effective against sea monsters." Clearly it was something that was well on it's way to release at some point, but was abruptly cancelled. I don't know if a reason for that was ever given. Doesn't matter though.

If anything Sea of Thieves simply got their idea from other pirate games that allow you to fight the Kraken or a Krakenesque creature. In addition the Kraken isn't even an original concept by Sea of Thieves devs, not that it is an original concept from this game either. But my point remains. It is anybody's to use, and frankly, sea monsters, not just the Kraken, has been something I've wanted for years, ever since I first started playing the original game.

It wouldn't be easy for a small team of developers working for free to finish progress on something that even Disney clearly had trouble finishing even with all their resources, but in time, if at all possible, I would love to see this be a thing.

Even though Sea of Thieves already has a Kraken, Pirates Online had a Kraken trailer LOOOONG before Sea of Thieves was even a thought in someone's head. The development of the Kraken was so far along to the point that in game assets of it were used in making a trailer for the game. In-game, grape shot also TO THIS DAY has a description that includes "effective against sea monsters." Clearly it was something that was well on it's way to release at some point, but was abruptly cancelled. I don't know if a reason for that was ever given. Doesn't matter though.

If anything Sea of Thieves simply got their idea from other pirate games that allow you to fight the Kraken or a Krakenesque creature. In addition the Kraken isn't even an original concept by Sea of Thieves devs, not that it is an original concept from this game either. But my point remains. It is anybody's to use, and frankly, sea monsters, not just the Kraken, has been something I've wanted for years, ever since I first started playing the original game.

It wouldn't be easy for a small team of developers working for free to finish progress on something that even Disney clearly had trouble finishing even with all their resources, but in time, if at all possible, I would love to see this be a thing.
Sea monsters of all types and sirens possibly in the form of quests. There is much more possibilities in the depth of the game we may never see.

Sea monsters of all types and sirens possibly in the form of quests. There is much more possibilities in the depth of the game we may never see.
Yeah, not only does tlopo still have the kraken in the files, but they also showed some sort of massive sea-serpent attacking a pirate's ship in the Isla Escondida trailer which we know will have a large story quest surrounding it meaning the serpent will likely be apart of it. It would be cool to see these massive new creatures as a new form of "sea bosses"

Back