Graphics Problem lag -what's the culprit?

This looks like the appropriate place to put in that I have similar problems to the OP. When I board a ship, I have accustomed to just facing where enemies will come from and letting them come to me; if I try to run to them I won't see a single thing till I'm next to them, the game literally freezes the frame while 15 Navy officers move on the colossus, and the next thing I know they're attacking me. I run my broadsword by memory as well because I know if I wait until I can see the combo, it will be too late to do the next. I also have to do the same when I attack a first enemy on an island. If I am doing throwing knives, I've never gotten a combo on first try. In Tlopo, at least for now, whether at sea or on land, enemies have a "jumpy" moment when first engaged. Meaning they are still, I attack, and then I have like a half second of lag as they initiate their response. This is why when I attack ships I commonly ask others to let me fire broadside first, because if they cannon I have no way of properly targeting for at least a couple seconds.

I don't know if this can be worked on, but if a more smooth initiation of AI attack could be worked out, it would make all player combat much easier.

For computer information, I play on a Toshiba Satellite, with Windows 7 and 4 GB memory. I know it isn't the best and I run TLOPO by itself. I will start trying to clean cache more often and may try to see if changing priority of the game in task manager helps at all.

I know its the game. I have a brand new computer and I run games in 4k 60fps without dropping a single frame but I average at about 25fps in this game with less than 720p. after I come back from sailing im lucky to run past 20fps.

I agree. I think the developers here are doing the best they can with the engine they have, but when I can play a laundry list of games on Steam, blizzard and indie's on my win7 sp1 (yep, that old OS even) with little to no lag on most any engine they throw at me, then come on tlopo and watch a power point presentation with like 4 other pirates on screen, it's not my system or ISP. Even though my system is now aged electronically three years, that's no excuse given how many other games run very well. I even run destiny2 at top level except for max shaders.

win7 is the best in my opinion. Liked it better than any other and it always ran games the best. I was sad to see it downgrade to win8/8.1 because 8 was straight trash.

Once the entirety of TLOPO makes the exclusive 64 bit jump, can you mates respond back to this thread to share any difference? ;)

And there you go -" The biggest problem is the very old game engine that TLOPO is compelled to use, Panda3D. They have been optimizing the game the best they can. Back in Alpha the lag was incredibly bad and it has improved quite a bit."
Thank you. Has nothing to do with how big my computer is or fast. Considering I can run WOW, while watching uboob and reading facebook all at the same time without lag anywhere. The answer is Panda3d. Also why we have to use openGL. Ironically, OpenGL is still thought of being a better graphic format for games than directx. Guess I'll just chug along until something else comes along.

And since windows wrapped itself around directx completely, no other graphics platform is going to run well. I always believed microsoft does this purposely. The game seems smoother on my mac, except for the right mouse glitch which makes my style of playing impossible to enjoy.
no no, there is something behind the lag because im running windows 10, 1080 8700k 16gb 3200 and its on an ssd. im stilling getting lag around other players.

can you or is there a thread about this? will this happen or is it just an idea floating around?
We've been told that the launcher is now 64 bit and that the whole game should be going to 64 bit maybe this year. I think look in the announcement threads.

no no, there is something behind the lag because im running windows 10, 1080 8700k 16gb 3200 and its on an ssd. im stilling getting lag around other players.
Well then, that kind of tells one that the software and or the server packet handling and game multiplayer programs are possibly wonky.
I've felt for a long time that the game does not handle multi player very well on their side of things. I honestly feel we can't blame it on our systems any more.
I play all sorts of opengl games almost maxed even on my aged system. All my drivers including MB's are always kept up to date.

Most of this is above my "pay grade" but I would like to say that since usually there are only 300--600 people at any time when I am on I would most likely use that as a number to compare the percentage of complaints instead of anything remotely close to the number of accounts. As a veteran POTCO player I would say most people do not take the time to complain about the "lag" of whatever the issue is. I was accustomed to "putting" up with it. I have changed settings before early in Beta and it helped me get into the catacombs and El Sud when before I was crashing (that and increasing virtual ram and also manually clearing my cache before porting or entering those areas). I do not bother with the cache clearing anymore except at the end of the game. Where I usually expect to still experience it, as Squintz mentioned, boarding a ship. I keep my finger poised above the tonic key hoping I don't take a ton of damage before I can draw a weapon. Also, I try to avoid getting into the middle of the major material scrums. Staying on the outside seems to help. Things have improved- I rarely crash porting now for instance.

However, my Mac friend still can not play. She tried to log in several times tonight and can not. She uninstalled the game tonight, rebooted her computer, and then reinstalled (she has high sierra). She was able to get on but could not tp to me, could not move, I could not tp to her. She still has not heard from support. It would possibly be helpful if all Mac postings were in a separate thread.

I also agree with a comment someone else made earlier. I appreciate that the developers are trying to bring in all the content from POTCO and implementing new content however I think the playability of the game should be optimized before additional content is brought online which generally is fairly buggy. I think this just complicates the matter. I wish the developers all the luck in the world and best wishes. BTW I'm currently playing on an HP laptop, Win 7, i5 (M560 @2.67 GHz, 2GB RAM, NIVIDIA NVS 3100M and people with far better computers than this have more issues than me for some reason. Also using a wireless connection which I will say if I revert to my old connection I can expect to get dc'd with the "lost internet connection message" but I now use our new Spectrum connection and that happens much less.
Concerning her mac issues. I've forgotten the path, but she should try to find all the cache folders related to tlopo and clear them as well.
I'm not sure if tlopo is that efficient to find and clear out old files around the Mac. I know someone posted the path, I'll try and find it.
but basically, it's uninstall everything tlopo, find and locate any errant folders containing tlopo and wipe them as well. Then go to the website and use the most recent version of the download.
gl.

@Wehttamwulf
Concerning her mac issues. I've forgotten the path, but she should try to find all the cache folders related to tlopo and clear them as well.
I'm not sure if tlopo is that efficient to find and clear out old files around the Mac. I know someone posted the path, I'll try and find it.
but basically, it's uninstall everything tlopo, find and locate any errant folders containing tlopo and wipe them as well. Then go to the website and use the most recent version of the download.
gl.
Okay, found some info on Mac cache. I konw this is off topic, but just followed up on my previous off topic post.

If you have Windows, find your TLOPO folder, then find the file simply called "cache". Open it, and delete everything inside. I suggest also deleting those files from your Recycle Bin.

If you have Mac, open Terminal and type the following EXACTLY:

rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/The\ Legend\ of\ Pirates\ Online/Game/cache/

Most of this is above my "pay grade" but I would like to say that since usually there are only 300--600 people at any time when I am on I would most likely use that as a number to compare the percentage of complaints instead of anything remotely close to the number of accounts. As a veteran POTCO player I would say most people do not take the time to complain about the "lag" of whatever the issue is. I was accustomed to "putting" up with it. I have changed settings before early in Beta and it helped me get into the catacombs and El Sud when before I was crashing (that and increasing virtual ram and also manually clearing my cache before porting or entering those areas). I do not bother with the cache clearing anymore except at the end of the game. Where I usually expect to still experience it, as Squintz mentioned, boarding a ship. I keep my finger poised above the tonic key hoping I don't take a ton of damage before I can draw a weapon. Also, I try to avoid getting into the middle of the major material scrums. Staying on the outside seems to help. Things have improved- I rarely crash porting now for instance.

However, my Mac friend still can not play. She tried to log in several times tonight and can not. She uninstalled the game tonight, rebooted her computer, and then reinstalled (she has high sierra). She was able to get on but could not tp to me, could not move, I could not tp to her. She still has not heard from support. It would possibly be helpful if all Mac postings were in a separate thread.

I also agree with a comment someone else made earlier. I appreciate that the developers are trying to bring in all the content from POTCO and implementing new content however I think the playability of the game should be optimized before additional content is brought online which generally is fairly buggy. I think this just complicates the matter. I wish the developers all the luck in the world and best wishes. BTW I'm currently playing on an HP laptop, Win 7, i5 (M560 @2.67 GHz, 2GB RAM, NIVIDIA NVS 3100M and people with far better computers than this have more issues than me for some reason. Also using a wireless connection which I will say if I revert to my old connection I can expect to get dc'd with the "lost internet connection message" but I now use our new Spectrum connection and that happens much less.
You bring up a very good point: how does one distinguish POTCO "lag" from TLOPO "lag?" If you're a long-time POTCO player playing now TLOPO, yer 6 senses might not kick in so well on the lag on account/in lieu of the lag you had already grown used to in playing POTCO. This brings to the table a very interesting dilemma: would it help TLOPO the most to gain lag experiences and input from players whom only played TLOPO? :confused: (In this way, a more true representation of the lag experienced can be conveyed and hopefully resolved at some point).
can you or is there a thread about this? will this happen or is it just an idea floating around?
As @squintz mentioned, TLOPO (via their updates posted here) has expressed their plan to fully convert everything over to 64 bit. As things stand currently if I am not mistaken, only the launcher itself has undergone the change thus far.

Keep reviewing this thread closely (maybe by clicking the 'watch thread' option which is available) to keep yerself updated. ;)
gl.
Didn't TLOPO do away with providing the remake on Mac systems and platforms? Unless I am mistaken, I thought that was the case???

You bring up a very good point: how does one distinguish POTCO "lag" from TLOPO "lag?" If you're a long-time POTCO player playing now TLOPO, yer 6 senses might not kick in so well on the lag on account/in lieu of the lag you had already grown used to in playing POTCO. This brings to the table a very interesting dilemma: would it help TLOPO the most to gain lag experiences and input from players whom only played TLOPO? :confused: (In this way, a more true representation of the lag experienced can be conveyed and hopefully resolved at some point).

As @squintz mentioned, TLOPO (via their updates posted here) has expressed their plan to fully convert everything over to 64 bit. As things stand currently if I am not mistaken, only the launcher itself has undergone the change thus far.

Keep reviewing this thread closely (maybe by clicking the 'watch thread' option which is available) to keep yerself updated. ;)

Didn't TLOPO do away with providing the remake on Mac systems and platforms? Unless I am mistaken, I thought that was the case???
You know, that's a good question and something does stick in my mind about tlopo staff stating newer mac os's may not be supported.
I don't know and don't have the time at the moment to search the forums.

And also begs the question. How many developers were spending time on the mac version as well as working on the windows version?
If those developers are freed up in time by omitting the mac effort, should tlopo start seeing some real progress in game development?

Back