Legendary Abilities

Thoughts on Break Attacks and Weapon Skills?

• Legendary Weapon Skills/Break Attacks should be buffed.

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Legendary Weapon Skills/Break Attacks are fine as they are.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Legendary Weapon Skills/Break Attacks should be nerfed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ned Cabinmorgan

Pirate Apprentice
Simple concept: Make Legendary Abilities more powerful. Elemental Sweeps should be some of the strongest Break Attacks in the game if they're going to match their weapons.

Freeze Sweep: Unleashes a powerful wave of ice, inflicting a 6-second freeze to all nearby enemies.

Shock Sweep: Summons cursed lighting that slows enemies and activates a silence that shuts down enemy abilities for 10 seconds.

Inferno Sweep: Infects the Inferno status effect, a stronger form of Burn that does 2000 damage over 10 seconds. Shuts down healing abilities. Can't be Cleansed.

Ahoy, Ned!

Personally, I don't know how this thread hasn't gotten more attention. Me personally, I'd love to see some of the Legendary Abilities buffed. I've heard an argument a number of times "That the weapons that are pre-existing shouldn't be touched.", but I believe, especially something in the sense that you've proposed here, could be a great flavor touch-up for certain weapons. I think I'd be more keen to use my Blade of the Abyss if it had an extra sensation of it's legendary status.

You can't really say "make legendary abilities more powerful".. does leviathans curse need a buff? No. It's not an all or nothing.. u might mean or say "make legendary weapon's elemental sweeps more powerful" instead. I could maybe agree with that.. but not with buffing ALL legendary abilities.

Break attacks have always been nearly useless in terms of combat versatility. Not with just legendary, but across the board for all break attacks.

Some weapon skills need a buff as well though, as things like "Rapid Fire" do less damage than lead shot for example.

However, I am sure the developers are already aware of such imperfections in the game and will address them when the time comes. [Same with potion duration as I addressed in a earlier post.]

Of course, the post isn't referring to Leviathan. However, there is little need to specify when common sense is taken into account. Leviathan's Curse is the strongest of any Legendary Ability with good reason considering it's rarity and where it drops from, but it also need be taken into account that the other weapon abilities aren't necessarily all that good. In my case, I personally don't care about the ability of a weapon, more-so just looking for the red flavor text. But I do know many players feel like the abilities can be lackluster, which is true.

And to you @Charles Warmonk, I agree about the practicality of break attacks, and I do hope that it is eventually addressed in a way that might make the Legendary weapons feel marginally more.. Legendary. Though Legendary abilities aren't the only ones needing tweaking as you've stated, and I do see to it that the abilities and general fixes to many of the activation-based weapon skills might need marginal tweaking to make them overall more viable in most scenarios.

I'm firmly in the leave existing weapons alone. That said, I agree that all break attacks take too long to charge for them to be considered anything more than a novelty. Additionally the damage they do is barely worth the time it takes to push the button to use. You are just as well off continuing with combos as breaking your combo to use the break attack. I think it would be a good thing to shorten the charge time and/or increase the effects of break attacks going forward. Probably by introducing newer and better break attacks for new weapons since I hope they will not change the existing weapons.

I do think some break attacks need buffing. So much of TLOPO when you have a choice of several legends in your inventory is just "what does the most damage" and rarely is practicality in other areas taken into account. I think as you suggested, buffing things further into their intended purpose is the solution. A comparison I see a lot is Levi to WEB, as an example, and say "Levi is better because of the curse" or "Levi is better cause it does more net damage", but I think the game should be at a point where it's not just what does the most damage, but in a way that you should take in to account what you are fighting and the best way to fight that enemy or threat. Ofc Levi has the parry ability which is good for avoiding attacks, but an argument could be, why use Levi at Foulberto or Pal when you can physically freeze him for 6 seconds with WEB, and prevent damage to *everyone* and give people space to do more damage (using the hypothetical buff to freeze sweep above for WEB). Right now in the game you really may as well go for what does more damage, not because its whats smart but because the other abilities simply do not scale up to what they probably should be. I think the way to make TLOPO more fresh is for the devs to make players think as smart as possible and actually actively *think* about what they are doing.

Of course, the post isn't referring to Leviathan. However, there is little need to specify when common sense is taken into account. Leviathan's Curse is the strongest of any Legendary Ability with good reason considering it's rarity and where it drops from, but it also need be taken into account that the other weapon abilities aren't necessarily all that good. In my case, I personally don't care about the ability of a weapon, more-so just looking for the red flavor text. But I do know many players feel like the abilities can be lackluster, which is true.

And to you @Charles Warmonk, I agree about the practicality of break attacks, and I do hope that it is eventually addressed in a way that might make the Legendary weapons feel marginally more.. Legendary. Though Legendary abilities aren't the only ones needing tweaking as you've stated, and I do see to it that the abilities and general fixes to many of the activation-based weapon skills might need marginal tweaking to make them overall more viable in most scenarios.
I personally think if they nerf all weapons down to just better than rusty cutlass, no one could bicker.

I do think some break attacks need buffing. So much of TLOPO when you have a choice of several legends in your inventory is just "what does the most damage" and rarely is practicality in other areas taken into account. I think as you suggested, buffing things further into their intended purpose is the solution. A comparison I see a lot is Levi to WEB, as an example, and say "Levi is better because of the curse" or "Levi is better cause it does more net damage", but I think the game should be at a point where it's not just what does the most damage, but in a way that you should take in to account what you are fighting and the best way to fight that enemy or threat. Ofc Levi has the parry ability which is good for avoiding attacks, but an argument could be, why use Levi at Foulberto or Pal when you can physically freeze him for 6 seconds with WEB, and prevent damage to *everyone* and give people space to do more damage (using the hypothetical buff to freeze sweep above for WEB). Right now in the game you really may as well go for what does more damage, not because its whats smart but because the other abilities simply do not scale up to what they probably should be. I think the way to make TLOPO more fresh is for the devs to make players think as smart as possible and actually actively *think* about what they are doing.
@ JessieTT"So much of TLOPO when you have a choice of several legends in your inventory is just ..."

Obviously, you speak for the massive 3.756 % of the pirate population in the game. I have several fames however.

I personally think if they nerf all weapons down to just better than rusty cutlass, no one could bicker.
Yes, I too am tired of people wanting buffs and nerfs all the time. I wish they, meaning everyone, would want to leave the existing weapons alone. I think it's fine to talk about how new weapons can be better and avoid the flaws of the old ones but please, this is supposed to be a remake and as such should be as true to the original game as possible. Once you start buffing legendary break attacks on old potco weapons they will no longer be old potco weapons and the concept of the remake with new content is out the window in favor of a new game with similarities to potco. I endorse the original concept of tlopo as a remake with additional new content although there likely will come a time when new fighting mechanics for the entire game will be on the horizon, at that point do they keep a potco 2013 server going or change the entire game?

Yes, I too am tired of people wanting buffs and nerfs all the time. I wish they, meaning everyone, would want to leave the existing weapons alone. I think it's fine to talk about how new weapons can be better and avoid the flaws of the old ones but please, this is supposed to be a remake and as such should be as true to the original game as possible. Once you start buffing legendary break attacks on old potco weapons they will no longer be old potco weapons and the concept of the remake with new content is out the window in favor of a new game with similarities to potco. I endorse the original concept of tlopo as a remake with additional new content although there likely will come a time when new fighting mechanics for the entire game will be on the horizon, at that point do they keep a potco 2013 server going or change the entire game?
I agree somewhat, however, I believe that tlopo has a very large depository of original potco codes and items and aren't anywhere close to making a dent in that library. All one needs to do is go look at the developers pages and from there will see pages of items not yet in game from textures to parts and everything else in between. We ain't seen nothing yet!

I agree somewhat, however, I believe that tlopo has a very large depository of original potco codes and items and aren't anywhere close to making a dent in that library. All one needs to do is go look at the developers pages and from there will see pages of items not yet in game from textures to parts and everything else in between. We ain't seen nothing yet!
Yes, but none of that has anything to do with the old potco weapons that were released in potco and how they work in tlopo.

@squintz i apologise if my post seemed coarse however I did say it was just examples. Certain break attacks across most sword qualities need buffing, not just legendary. It just came to mind as legendary because those were the examples given in the original post, my point still stands. More choices of weapons which we can somewhat obtain by buffing break attacks is only healthy for the game and the player base. Depth vs Complexity. This gives the game more depth which encourages the player to engage more with the game on a deeper level in the same area, and will change how you have to think. The only problem with buffing breaks is simply the devs just don't have the time, and probably won't for a long time. Almost every game dev and game reviewer and anyone who is employed in any successful games agrees depth is how you make your game truly stand out, and creates a better player base for it.

Last edited:
Back