Legendary hunting

In your all's opinion, do you think, time wise it's better to loot at bosses to get legendary cursed blades or other areas in tormenta like the gold room? With the regular enemies they drop less skulls but when they do there's probably a decent chance for a legendary to be in one. With bosses they drop more skulls but almost to the point that it's worthless to drop skulls if there's just gold and cards in them. At the same time though, they are bosses.

Also answer this question as if you were in tormenta or ravens cove, not the regular bosses like DH and Remmy.

Which one do you guys prefer? Trying to delegate my time efficiently.

A few things go into this...

• Bosses generally drop more skulls than normal enemies per kill, so if you can kill bosses at a rate fast enough to get skulls more frequently than you would by killing gold room at the highest possible rate, then they are always a better option if you want any legendary
  • If you want a specific legendary, go where it's possible to get it. This is fairly easily accomplished if that legendary comes from a boss.
  • If you want any legendary you haven't found before, you need to consider the probability of one dropping given the location you are at, the legendaries you already have, and the probability of it dropping at alternative locations. So for instance, if you are a fully mastered pirate with silver freeze and lost sword, there is a 5/7 chance of you getting a new legendary at gold room vs a 1/3 chance of you getting it at, say, Koleniko. Therefore, gold room is the better choice. If you have Lost Sword, Silver Freeze, World Eater Blade, Thunderspine Sword, and Behemoth Blade, you only have a 2/7 chance of getting something new at Gold Room. Therefore, a boss is the better choice. (It’s important to note that the scenario described in this bullet point assumes roughly equivalent rates of skull chest drops between looting at whichever boss and looting at gold room. It may be faster to get Krakenslayer than any old legendary cursed blade if Kokeniko is being killed very quickly)

I see, I only have SF and Jack's blade but I preferably want a legendary cursed so I should focus more on the gold room then I suppose? I have the grand blunderbuss and I'm a mastered pirate so I think that's probably the best choice I think
That makes sense. Don’t hesitate to join very large boss groups, though. A very high rate of skull chest drops can offset the decreased probability of a new legendary per legendary drop.

From tests, skull chests from bosses are approximately 1 in 5 kills now and skull chests from enemies are about 1 in 25. So to get the same amount of skulls over time from enemies as from bosses you will need to kill about 5 enemies in the same amount of time that you would kill a boss. So something like the gold room is a perfectly good way of farming for a legendary cursed sword as you can kill 4 enemies much faster than you would kill a boss.

From tests, skull chests from bosses are approximately 1 in 5 kills now and skull chests from enemies are about 1 in 25. So to get the same amount of skulls over time from enemies as from bosses you will need to kill about 5 enemies in the same amount of time that you would kill a boss. So something like the gold room is a perfectly good way of farming for a legendary cursed sword as you can kill 4 enemies much faster than you would kill a boss.
How accurate do you think your 1 in 5 and 1 in 25 are?

How accurate do you think your 1 in 5 and 1 in 25 are?
Those are approximate values from long testing sessions. For the boss kills I did different sessions of between 500-1000 kills netting to about 2000 kills that average 20.433% of the time receiving a skull chest (i.e. 1 in 5). And I did a similar test killing 500 Isla Tormenta red health bar enemies that produced 3.74% of the time dropping a skull chest (i.e. 1 in 25 rounded up). 500 trials, let alone 2000, is extremely accurate data, especially considering that just 30 is generally considered statistically significant data. So I am confident in my 20% and 4% claims.

Back