Idea Legendary Ship upgrades

Legendary pirate ships?

• Aye

• Nay

Results are only viewable after voting.
Each ship would take forever to reach, which I do like but for svs reasons there be so few of them to really make a special svs version for the legendary ships.
I actually like the fact that they would take a lot of time and effort to upgrade (hence deserving of the name "Legendary"). Not every pirate in the Caribbean has to immediately own one - in time, more people will own legendary ships and use them to support their guilds and crews. Legendary SvS can be implemented once there's a healthy amount of legendary ships in the Caribbean.

I actually like the fact that they would take a lot of time and effort to upgrade (hence deserving of the name "Legendary"). Not every pirate in the Caribbean has to immediately own one - in time, more people will own legendary ships and use them to support their guilds and crews. Legendary SvS can be implemented once there's a healthy amount of legendary ships in the Caribbean.
I like the idea of them being hard to reach also, I just feel like they should be in normal svs but not quite as strong as you mentioned in OP.

Since these are legendary ships and do require quite "Legendary," materials to acquire them. By what means, on land or the open seas, do you intend players to earn these materials? What enemies will be the guardians of said legendary materials? And how many of these difficult and strong creatures would you need to defeat to earn the required amounts? Surely they don't have 100% drop rates. The idea almost desires a new set of difficult enemies, if not entirely unique enemies, as well as respective bosses.

I apologize if the wall of text format is blinding, however try your best to read! Awaiting your replies.

Main Backstory:
Upon observing the unnatural forces of the Caribbean (Undead, undead ships, QAR, etc.) - Cutler Beckett and a handful of corrupt Navy Generals took it upon themselves to seek gypsies and undead generals from all around the Caribbean to craft an overpowered EITC and Navy legendary fleet to rule the seas. Little did they know that they were not the only faction with the same goal.

Reply:

I was thinking of a mix of land and open seas. Upon reaching Rank VI hull, you'll have one legendary upgrade relevant to your cargo tier - upon selecting the legendary upgrade, you can receive a legendary ship quest (with percentages to indicate how far you've progressed). There are 3 war classes and 5 upgrade types, meaning 15 unique (unique in the sense of materials or amount of material to be collected) quests that need to be added. Drop rates from ships will definitely not be 100% but will vary depending on the quantity of material required.

Legendary Ship Quests:
The questline wouldn't be simple. You would need to collect certain materials which you'd curse and evolve with the help of Tia Dalma at her shack. Meaning conversations, animations and new quests will be added as Tia is known to require a variety of eerie materials to concoct her final product.

I'd imagine a typical quest would look like this:

Scenario: War Sloop (would be more of each material and Gold if it were a different War class)
Upgrade: Infernal Upgrade
  • Collect 650,000 Gold
    • 192831 of 650000 Gold
  • Return to Tia Dalma
    • Firestone 3 of 3 items
      • Cursed Broken Glass 120 of 120
      • Lava stone chest 2 of 2
      • (Boss name here), certain "fire pendant" he/she wears can be mixed with cursed glass and magma to magically craft Firestone
I currently don't have the time to go into more detail, so I'll end it there. Naturally, with this being a rare ship - the quests will be challenging and time consuming. Some materials will be obtainable by sinking legendary ships (the rare/sparse materials like volcano soul or charged kelp) and others will have to be crafted through a set of tedious quests involving killing (normal and boss) enemies, collecting/searching for items and sinking ships. The quest should take days to weeks to complete

After completing the long quests and earning the money, you'll be able to upgrade your ship into a legendary ship. A certain outfit quest (5 possible outfits in total) will appear in your quest journal afterwards. (Expect it to be as long or longer than the Barbossa outfit one).

Legendary NPC ships:
Legendary NPC ship level - ?? (Ship equivalent of Jolly Roger)

The only legendary ships which existed in POTCO were the Black Pearl and Queen Anne's Revenge. Only one of two is sinkable, however due to it's random/rare spawn patterns it would be unsuitable for dropping relevant legendary materials.

Legendary variants of pre-existing NPC war ships can be implemented into the game to drop certain legendary materials as well as high amounts of Gold (~ 2000 gold per sink) and to make it more challenging, legendary ships can spawn a couple of times per day around the Uncharted Waters. Upon spawning, users will be notified that a legendary ship of a certain type was spotted out in sea. (Eg: A Navy Firebreather has been spotted near the Uncharted Waters! or An EITC Phenomena has been spotted sinking some pirate ships!).

Sinking a legendary ship should be a group event that takes time and effort, loot chances are independent of "most hits" and other factors. In a while, I'll add a list of potential legendary NPC ships, their types, backstories and drops. The rare materials like volcano soul and charged kelp would only be found through sinking the relevant legendary ships.

Land Materials:
-Items only obtainable by voodoo crafting (with the assistance of Tia Dalma, who will require a few favors before she starts helping).
Example: Firestone, magma, volcanic essence, whirlwind stone, cursed rope, storm essence and grog.

Rare Legendary Materials:
-Items like volcano soul and charged kelp which are only aboard legendary ships.

*Both lists of land and rare materials will increase as more upgrades are added.

Grog:
I have no idea regarding how this could be implemented into the game nor how it can be obtained. Your thoughts?

I do think it is a good idea, but i also think it's an idea that will cause lots of hate, unfairness and lag sadly.

To implement all this is close to impossible for a game like pirates at least until a few years have passed.

It would be cool though but i do feel that it will also be a bit "op" to have one of these, even a normal upgraded ship one shots AI ships with ease.

So unless there is a way to balance that out without adding more and more then i will support it easily!

I do think it is a good idea, but i also think it's an idea that will cause lots of hate, unfairness and lag sadly.

To implement all this is close to impossible for a game like pirates at least until a few years have passed.

It would be cool though but i do feel that it will also be a bit "op" to have one of these, even a normal upgraded ship one shots AI ships with ease.

So unless there is a way to balance that out without adding more and more then i will support it easily!
These are all long-term ideas, so I don't think anyone would consider implementing them until a year or two passes from final release. I'm sure lag wouldn't be an issue. However, how would it cause 'hate' and 'unfairness'?

Legendary ships will be required to fight harder enemies. As I previously stated, ordinary war ships will be as challenging as light sloops are to war brigs - so legendary ship owners wouldn't bother fighting them due to the lack of challenge. Low level players wouldn't worry about war ships going around sinking their light class enemy ships, would they? This is the same concept - the legendary enemy ships and events will be challenging and rewarding - so all of the focus will be redirected towards them.

Rank VI ships are already far too powerful for ordinary war ships. Meaning in order to balance everything out, "more and more" (being metaphoric for newer ship enemies) might be needed.

But there you go, Rank VI is already far too powerful, that's why i think it would create hate about opinions.

So if rank VI is far too powerful why make a even more powerful ship? Sure it would be cool and all that but quite unfair.

"Legendary" ship can still sink War Ships for loot and it wouldn't even require half a broadside with the 100% rate.

That would cause hate from the war ship owners for example " He just comes here to brag and steal our loot why not go back to ur ships level"
Etc etc because that would happen for sure.

Even i myself would farm loot like that real easy and fast.

But like i said i think it's enough with the current Fury, Lightning etc broadsides that already exist.

Rank VI ships are already far too powerful for ordinary war ships. Meaning in order to balance everything out, "more and more" (being metaphoric for newer ship enemies) might be needed.

Going back and watching alot of original Potco videos AI ships, even with a broadside from a fully upgraded ship, AI didn't always just instantly sink and it appears they had significantly more armor and health than current. As least this is my observation of Juggernauts and Dreadnoughts. The solution is to simply not make AI ships completely glass cannons and give people a reason to go after Regular ships like Vanguards or Ironwalls. If I can get a brig and just instantly skip to going after war sloops and war galleons then something in the balance isn't correct.

As an addition to the 100% broadside rate, I believe this is too much even for a legendary ship. If you want to make a cool-down ability that allows these ships to then fire a broadside that is guaranteed to be 80-100% chance rate for its appropriate shot then I feel that's more appropriate. If you want to make these legendary ships have broadsides that ONLY fire their appropriate shot type then you should consider even reducing their total number of broadsides.

But there you go, Rank VI is already far too powerful, that's why i think it would create hate about opinions.

"Legendary" ship can still sink War Ships for loot and it wouldn't even require half a broadside with the 100% rate.

That would cause hate from the war ship owners for example " He just comes here to brag and steal our loot why not go back to ur ships level"

[/Engage Sarcasm] Yeah when I see someone with a famed or legendary sword that I really want I get super jealous and salty and tell them that they're horrible for having earned (with a rightful expensive cost) something powerful. No I don't do that, and its incredibly unfair to assume that everyone would hate people for having these ships in the first place. As the above post mentions, these ships are well within their capabilities of becoming an addition long term with significant tweaks to the strengths of current AI warships as well as an inclusion of more unique and extremely difficult warship enemies. Maybe war sloops should always be weak and squishy, but I simply shouldn't be able to just take 50% off a Warlord with a single broadside. Increase the AI ships armor resistance and their total health pool.

Last edited:
I apologize if the wall of text format is blinding, however try your best to read! Awaiting your replies.

Main Backstory:
Upon observing the unnatural forces of the Caribbean (Undead, undead ships, QAR, etc.) - Cutler Beckett and a handful of corrupt Navy Generals took it upon themselves to seek gypsies and undead generals from all around the Caribbean to craft an overpowered EITC and Navy legendary fleet to rule the seas. Little did they know that they were not the only faction with the same goal.

Reply:

I was thinking of a mix of land and open seas. Upon reaching Rank VI hull, you'll have one legendary upgrade relevant to your cargo tier - upon selecting the legendary upgrade, you can receive a legendary ship quest (with percentages to indicate how far you've progressed). There are 3 war classes and 5 upgrade types, meaning 15 unique (unique in the sense of materials or amount of material to be collected) quests that need to be added. Drop rates from ships will definitely not be 100% but will vary depending on the quantity of material required.

Legendary Ship Quests:
The questline wouldn't be simple. You would need to collect certain materials which you'd curse and evolve with the help of Tia Dalma at her shack. Meaning conversations, animations and new quests will be added as Tia is known to require a variety of eerie materials to concoct her final product.

I'd imagine a typical quest would look like this:

Scenario: War Sloop (would be more of each material and Gold if it were a different War class)
Upgrade: Infernal Upgrade
  • Collect 650,000 Gold
    • 192831 of 650000 Gold
  • Return to Tia Dalma
    • Firestone 3 of 3 items
      • Cursed Broken Glass 120 of 120
      • Lava stone chest 2 of 2
      • (Boss name here), certain "fire pendant" he/she wears can be mixed with cursed glass and magma to magically craft Firestone
I currently don't have the time to go into more detail, so I'll end it there. Naturally, with this being a rare ship - the quests will be challenging and time consuming. Some materials will be obtainable by sinking legendary ships (the rare/sparse materials like volcano soul or charged kelp) and others will have to be crafted through a set of tedious quests involving killing (normal and boss) enemies, collecting/searching for items and sinking ships. The quest should take days to weeks to complete

After completing the long quests and earning the money, you'll be able to upgrade your ship into a legendary ship. A certain outfit quest (5 possible outfits in total) will appear in your quest journal afterwards. (Expect it to be as long or longer than the Barbossa outfit one).

Legendary NPC ships:
Legendary NPC ship level - ?? (Ship equivalent of Jolly Roger)

The only legendary ships which existed in POTCO were the Black Pearl and Queen Anne's Revenge. Only one of two is sinkable, however due to it's random/rare spawn patterns it would be unsuitable for dropping relevant legendary materials.

Legendary variants of pre-existing NPC war ships can be implemented into the game to drop certain legendary materials as well as high amounts of Gold (~ 2000 gold per sink) and to make it more challenging, legendary ships can spawn a couple of times per day around the Uncharted Waters. Upon spawning, users will be notified that a legendary ship of a certain type was spotted out in sea. (Eg: A Navy Firebreather has been spotted near the Uncharted Waters! or An EITC Phenomena has been spotted sinking some pirate ships!).

Sinking a legendary ship should be a group event that takes time and effort, loot chances are independent of "most hits" and other factors. In a while, I'll add a list of potential legendary NPC ships, their types, backstories and drops. The rare materials like volcano soul and charged kelp would only be found through sinking the relevant legendary ships.

Land Materials:
-Items only obtainable by voodoo crafting (with the assistance of Tia Dalma, who will require a few favors before she starts helping).
Example: Firestone, magma, volcanic essence, whirlwind stone, cursed rope, storm essence and grog.

Rare Legendary Materials:
-Items like volcano soul and charged kelp which are only aboard legendary ships.

*Both lists of land and rare materials will increase as more upgrades are added.

Grog:
I have no idea regarding how this could be implemented into the game nor how it can be obtained. Your thoughts?
I think grog (or maybe some other materials) should be attainable (and rare) and found in loot. This would make it even more of a challenge to earn a legendary ship, and make it more fun to collect materials than just questing. I believe that making it hard to get will help to make this ship class more exclusive.

Would there also be legendary upgrades for hybrids like the Skull and Bones customization path

While this does sound like it would be fantastic at first glance I think it is a bit over the top for TLOPO as it is currently. Too big and too overpowered for the game as it is now.

This definitely has a lot of effort put into it, and it is a very good idea. However, understanding what grog is will really diminish the realistic quality of using it as an upgrade material. We could do this with special elements, but doing it with grog makes absolutely no sense.

It would also be cool to see a Legendary Ship hull that essentially comes from the Skull and Bones Hull that would turn your ship of choice into an Undead Ship, apply the skeleton/zombie skin to your crew, and have a chance of having Jolly Roger's ships ignore your presence unless fired upon, perhaps even coming to your aid believing you to be one of Jolly's captains.

As Grog was never formally introduced into Pirates of the Caribbean Online, there aren't any creative boundaries when it comes to this specific material. I believe that Grog should be utilised for different types of mystical ship upgrades made possible by voodoo spells; the upgrades should all be inspired by natural forces.

All upgrades are going to require gold, grog and rare materials. Upgrading your ship into one of the following upgrades requires a certain rank VI war ship. Legendary upgrades are exclusive to certain rank VI advanced hulls. Upon upgrading, your ship will become a legendary ship.

Unlike legendary weapons, obtaining a legendary ship should be one of the most challenging aspects of the game. After upgrading, the pirate receives a legendary clothing quest that allows them to unlock an outfit indicative of the feat that they have accomplished.

Cosmetic alterations will be noticed in the ship's overall design ranging from the sails, hull, wheel and even the crew's appearance when they board the ship. The crew also experiences certain skill boosts depending on the upgrade the ship has - these boosts come into play when boarding challenging legendary flagships or boarding legendary players' ships in legendary SvS.

The introduction of upgrades like these will definitely require larger and more challenging enemy ships, legendary events and legendary SvS to be introduced.

Legendary Requirements:

Gold: Variable
Grog: 800
Special Elements: Variable

(All Legendary ships have double hull strength of previous Rank VI upgrade)

Infernal Upgrade
Fantasy_Ghost_ship_in_a_fiery_sea_096570_.jpg

Exclusive to: Firestorm VI

Inspired by Padres del Fuego's towering volcano and fiery caves, this upgrade would alter the ship's cosmetic appearance into the remains of a haunting burnt ship completely immune to fire damage. The ship has a visible fire aura which damages enemy ships within its vicinity and has a blinding steam ability which temporarily stuns enemy ships and prevents them from firing their broadsides. It also has a 60% Firebrand chance when firing broadsides. It is common legend that the ship and its captain emerged from the core of Padres del Fuego's volcano itself.

Crew appearance and skills:
  • Charcoal-like appearance
  • Resistant to fire damage
  • 50% fire damage boost (cannons, grenades, staff)
Captain's Legendary Outfit:
  • Infernal coat
  • Infernal hat
  • Burning top
  • Burning trousers
  • Burning boots
Ship requirements:

Grog: 800 (For every war class)

War Sloop:

Gold: 650,000
Firestone: 150
Magma: 50
Volcano Soul: 1
Volcanic Essence: 190

War Galleon:

Gold: 700,000
Firestone: 300
Magma: 75
Volcano Soul: 2
Volcanic Essence: 195

War Frigate:

Gold: 725,000
Firestone: 350
Magma: 60
Volcano Soul: 2
Volcanic Essence: 195

War Brig:

Firestone:
Magma: 55
Volcano Soul: 3
Volcanic Essence: 200

Tempest Upgrade
7LaWqTh.png

Exclusive to: Storm Chaser VI

This upgrade is not for the faint-hearted sailor. With this upgrade, the ship in question becomes the fastest ship in the Caribbean completely immune to thunderbolt damage. These ships have a 60% chance of firing thunderbolt broadsides. The ship's ghastly clouds ionize its broadside shots as they are fired, leading to a 10% damage boost and a slowdown effect against all enemy ships. A sparkling visage is visible as the ship's clouds roll beneath it as it sails. It is said that time runs slower when you're aboard a tempest ship - pirates around the Caribbean share stories of this cursed ship; they claim that it had supposedly arrived from a future era seeking revenge from the past...

Crew appearance and skills:
  • White ghost-like appearance with glass blue eyes
  • Attacks stun and slow down enemies
  • Fast reload times and movement
Captain's Legendary Outfit:
  • Tempest coat
  • Tempest hat
  • Electric top
  • Electric trousers
  • Electric boots
Ship requirements:

Grog: 800 (For every war class)

War Sloop:

Gold: 650,000
Whirlwind Stone: 130
Cursed Rope: 60
Charged Kelp: 200
Storm Essence: 190

War Galleon:

Gold: 700,000
Whirlwind Stone: 250
Cursed Rope: 140
Charged Kelp: 350
Storm Essence: 195

War Frigate:

Gold: 725,000
Whirlwind Stone: 280
Cursed Rope: 140
Charged Kelp: 300
Storm Essence: 195

War Brig:

Gold: 850,000
Whirlwind Stone: 350
Cursed Rope: 120
Charged Kelp: 180
Storm Essence: 200

?????????????????

I will progressively update this thread with newer Legendary upgrade ideas whenever I can. I'm open to constructive criticism, feedback and general input from the community. I would also love to know your thoughts regarding the ideas I have posted.
So, basically we need to be drunken pirates to appropriate a legendary ship? Why does that make sense to me?

They seriously need to allow players to buy a ship of the line, maybe include one as an obtainable legendary ship.

Theres really no good reason NOT to have it in game. Some argue it's too OP for svs but that wouldn't matter anyway if its able to be obtained. In my own personal opinion, they should not be making decisions based on some players thinking its op/ too difficult to get, because if everyone can obtain it, then it's not unfair

I see you put a ton of thought into this and have lots of good ideas. Unfortunately, I'm mostly against this type of upgrade scheme: against grog, against continuing upgrade paths for the most part, and feel that any clothing with rank above rare should provide the wearer with some sort of defensive boost. I would prefer further ship upgrades to be available to any ship and be small but expensive changes that lead players to eventually get much more of a variety of ships both in terms of looks and performance.

Back