Idea Legendary Ship upgrades

Legendary pirate ships?

• Aye

• Nay

Results are only viewable after voting.

Darkslinger

Notorious Pirate
As Grog was never formally introduced into Pirates of the Caribbean Online, there aren't any creative boundaries when it comes to this specific material. I believe that Grog should be utilised for different types of mystical ship upgrades made possible by voodoo spells; the upgrades should all be inspired by natural forces.

All upgrades are going to require gold, grog and rare materials. Upgrading your ship into one of the following upgrades requires a certain rank VI war ship. Legendary upgrades are exclusive to certain rank VI advanced hulls. Upon upgrading, your ship will become a legendary ship.

Unlike legendary weapons, obtaining a legendary ship should be one of the most challenging aspects of the game. After upgrading, the pirate receives a legendary clothing quest that allows them to unlock an outfit indicative of the feat that they have accomplished.

Cosmetic alterations will be noticed in the ship's overall design ranging from the sails, hull, wheel and even the crew's appearance when they board the ship. The crew also experiences certain skill boosts depending on the upgrade the ship has - these boosts come into play when boarding challenging legendary flagships or boarding legendary players' ships in legendary SvS.

The introduction of upgrades like these will definitely require larger and more challenging enemy ships, legendary events and legendary SvS to be introduced.

Legendary Requirements:

Gold: Variable
Grog: 800
Special Elements: Variable

(All Legendary ships have double hull strength of previous Rank VI upgrade)

Infernal Upgrade
Fantasy_Ghost_ship_in_a_fiery_sea_096570_.jpg

Exclusive to: Firestorm VI

Inspired by Padres del Fuego's towering volcano and fiery caves, this upgrade would alter the ship's cosmetic appearance into the remains of a haunting burnt ship completely immune to fire damage. The ship has a visible fire aura which damages enemy ships within its vicinity and has a blinding steam ability which temporarily stuns enemy ships and prevents them from firing their broadsides. It also has a 60% Firebrand chance when firing broadsides. It is common legend that the ship and its captain emerged from the core of Padres del Fuego's volcano itself.

Crew appearance and skills:
  • Charcoal-like appearance
  • Resistant to fire damage
  • 50% fire damage boost (cannons, grenades, staff)
Captain's Legendary Outfit:
  • Infernal coat
  • Infernal hat
  • Burning top
  • Burning trousers
  • Burning boots
Ship requirements:

Grog: 800 (For every war class)

War Sloop:

Gold: 650,000
Firestone: 150
Magma: 50
Volcano Soul: 1
Volcanic Essence: 190

War Galleon:

Gold: 700,000
Firestone: 300
Magma: 75
Volcano Soul: 2
Volcanic Essence: 195

War Frigate:

Gold: 725,000
Firestone: 350
Magma: 60
Volcano Soul: 2
Volcanic Essence: 195

War Brig:

Firestone:
Magma: 55
Volcano Soul: 3
Volcanic Essence: 200

Tempest Upgrade
7LaWqTh.png

Exclusive to: Storm Chaser VI

This upgrade is not for the faint-hearted sailor. With this upgrade, the ship in question becomes the fastest ship in the Caribbean completely immune to thunderbolt damage. These ships have a 60% chance of firing thunderbolt broadsides. The ship's ghastly clouds ionize its broadside shots as they are fired, leading to a 10% damage boost and a slowdown effect against all enemy ships. A sparkling visage is visible as the ship's clouds roll beneath it as it sails. It is said that time runs slower when you're aboard a tempest ship - pirates around the Caribbean share stories of this cursed ship; they claim that it had supposedly arrived from a future era seeking revenge from the past...

Crew appearance and skills:
  • White ghost-like appearance with glass blue eyes
  • Attacks stun and slow down enemies
  • Fast reload times and movement
Captain's Legendary Outfit:
  • Tempest coat
  • Tempest hat
  • Electric top
  • Electric trousers
  • Electric boots
Ship requirements:

Grog: 800 (For every war class)

War Sloop:

Gold: 650,000
Whirlwind Stone: 130
Cursed Rope: 60
Charged Kelp: 200
Storm Essence: 190

War Galleon:

Gold: 700,000
Whirlwind Stone: 250
Cursed Rope: 140
Charged Kelp: 350
Storm Essence: 195

War Frigate:

Gold: 725,000
Whirlwind Stone: 280
Cursed Rope: 140
Charged Kelp: 300
Storm Essence: 195

War Brig:

Gold: 850,000
Whirlwind Stone: 350
Cursed Rope: 120
Charged Kelp: 180
Storm Essence: 200

?????????????????

I will progressively update this thread with newer Legendary upgrade ideas whenever I can. I'm open to constructive criticism, feedback and general input from the community. I would also love to know your thoughts regarding the ideas I have posted.

Last edited:
The introduction of a brand new ship might get some jimmies rustled; however, I'm open to the idea. The extreme cost and the extreme use of time I presume to be dedicated for such a feat. The concept art provided looks quite stunning. I have to ask how would these ships be "classed," As basically really good Brigs, or should they act more like a Frigate ? The clothing set would have to be something rather unique, rather than an elegant re-skin of an existing set I'd imagine.

While you're at it, you should make the white wake that appears around the ships to be a reddish black like lava. Why should a fire resistant ship sail in filthy water? The upgrade cost should also include other ship materials, and not just grog and 700,000 gold coins, because it's possible for alternative Legendary style ship hulls and the Infernal Upgrade sounds like it would be the perfect exclusive legendary hull for the Firestorm upgrade. I do not include the Fortune Hunter upgrade because it's entire deal is having excessive cargo capacity, and its firestorm broadsides are just a mere bonus. The Firestorm upgrade is centered around having firebrand broadsides and improved speed and maneuverability.

The introduction of a brand new ship might get some jimmies rustled; however, I'm open to the idea. The extreme cost and the extreme use of time I presume to be dedicated for such a feat. The concept art provided looks quite stunning. I have to ask how would these ships be "classed," As basically really good Brigs, or should they act more like a Frigate ? The clothing set would have to be something rather unique, rather than an elegant re-skin of an existing set I'd imagine.
It's only an upgrade that is applied to your pre-existing rank-VI war ship, not the introduction of a whole new ship class. The clothing set would be the first set of legendary clothing ever implemented into the game - suitable for a legendary captain. The clothes should have special effects (eg: inferno class clothing have fire effects) and stats such as immunity to certain things or certain damage boosts.

The upgrade cost should also include other ship materials, and not just grog and 700,000 gold coins, because it's possible for alternative Legendary style ship hulls and the Infernal Upgrade sounds like it would be the perfect exclusive legendary hull for the Firestorm upgrade. I do not include the Fortune Hunter upgrade because it's entire deal is having excessive cargo capacity, and its firestorm broadsides are just a mere bonus. The Firestorm upgrade is centered around having firebrand broadsides and improved speed and maneuverability.
I agree - 700,000 Gold and grog is not enough. The legendary upgrades will require all sorts of (rare) odd materials. You're right! I totally forgot about that Firestorm upgrade... The legendary upgrades should be exclusive to the ship upgrade type, then. I'll work on further modifying the post whenever I can.

Edit: Currently modifying prices, material requirements and exclusivity.

While you're at it, you should make the white wake that appears around the ships to be a reddish black like lava. Why should a fire resistant ship sail in filthy water?
I like where you're going with that! ;)

Last edited:
It's only an upgrade that is applied to your pre-existing rank-V war ship, not the introduction of a whole new ship class. The clothing set would be the first set of legendary clothing ever implemented into the game - suitable for a legendary captain. The clothes should have special effects (eg: inferno class clothing have fire effects) and stats such as immunity to certain things or certain damage boosts.

Why is this specifically an upgrade to Rank V war ship hulls when hulls are capable of being able to be upgrade to Rank-VI? (aka Fortune III for example) And because I feel like legendary ships should slot into the different upgraded hull classes, why shouldn't the legendary ships be available only after having Rank-VI hulls. Because of the prices and times invested alone in getting to a Rank-VI hull, you could possibly reduce the total number of materials required for the legendary ships in place of fewer but much more rare materials. A reduction in the cost of gold could be supplemented by an increased number of ship materials for example.

In a way, the legendary ships should be "Rank-VII" hulls.

Why is this specifically an upgrade to Rank V war ship hulls when hulls are capable of being able to be upgrade to Rank-VI? (aka Fortune III for example) And because I feel like legendary ships should slot into the different upgraded hull classes, why shouldn't the legendary ships be available only after having Rank-VI hulls. Because of the prices and times invested alone in getting to a Rank-VI hull, you could possibly reduce the total number of materials required for the legendary ships in place of fewer but much more rare materials. A reduction in the cost of gold could be supplemented by an increased number of ship materials for example.

In a way, the legendary ships should be "Rank-VII" hulls.
The Rank-V was a typo on my part. They're available after Rank-VI only.

I really like this idea. It would be an interesting aspect to see added into the game, and add a bit of diversity into the game. However, my only concern is that these types of ships would effectively end SvS by being overpowered, and would be able to decimate entire treasure fleets with ease.

I really like this idea. It would be an interesting aspect to see added into the game, and add a bit of diversity into the game. However, my only concern is that these types of ships would effectively end SvS by being overpowered, and would be able to decimate entire treasure fleets with ease.
When you're sailing your warship do you decide to attack light class ships? I already know the answer - it's no. (probably)

I would apply the same concept to treasure fleets and ship events. I stated in my main post that the introduction of upgrades like these will definitely require larger and more challenging enemy ships to be introduced. So with the addition of these new upgrades, much more challenging (and rewarding) fleets and ship types specifically tailored for legendary ships can be implemented into the game to balance things out. So it would make no sense for the legendary ship to run after the crumbs when it can eat the whole pie (metaphoric for rep, loot, rewards). I can update the thread with a few ideas I have for advanced enemy ships and events. Do you have any interesting ideas in mind regarding this?

SvS, on the other hand - will definitely be problematic. A workaround could be to prevent legendary ships from participating in ordinary SvS and having "Legendary SvS". I'm sure there are other ways this problem could be solved (eg: one legendary on each side or making normal ships immune to legendary damage).

UPDATE - New exclusive Tempest upgrade added, modified crew skills, new information regarding boarding pirate legendary ships in SvS and boarding legendary enemy ships.

When you're sailing your warship do you decide to attack light class ships? I already know the answer - it's no. (probably)

I would apply the same concept to treasure fleets and ship events. I stated in my main post that the introduction of upgrades like these will definitely require larger and more challenging enemy ships to be introduced. So with the addition of these new upgrades, much more challenging (and rewarding) fleets and ship types specifically tailored for legendary ships can be implemented into the game to balance things out. So it would make no sense for the legendary ship to run after the crumbs when it can eat the whole pie (metaphoric for rep, loot, rewards). I can update the thread with a few ideas I have for advanced enemy ships and events. Do you have any interesting ideas in mind regarding this?

SvS, on the other hand - will definitely be problematic. A workaround could be to prevent legendary ships from participating in ordinary SvS and having "Legendary SvS". I'm sure there are other ways this problem could be solved (eg: one legendary on each side or making normal ships immune to legendary damage).
Ah I didn't see the part where you said more powerful ships would be added with this, my mistake then.

It would be to OP svs as they are now 100% thunderbolt from a war brig would one shot pretty much everything.
Hence why Legendary SvS should be introduced. Legendary ships will have double the hull strength, thus will be able to take more damage without sinking. With the extra aspects like fire aura and ghastly clouds (and others which I have not yet made up), each battle will be exhilarating.

After crippling a legendary ship in SvS, the legendary ship which dealt most damage can start the boarding process. After boarding, this is where things start to get more interesting. Since each ship has a different crew with variable skills (mentioned above), one team might be dependent on certain types of weapons and skills and the other might use agility to their advantage. This means every Legendary SvS battle will be unpredictable due to the mix of SvS and PvP.

Alternatively, the ship which dealt damage to the crippled legendary ship could be given the option to immediately sink it then and there. However, if they board the ship and win they could receive badges/rewards.

Having it's own class would be so boring because of how long it would take to reach it. An aesthetic change with crew bonus and an increased chance of firing each ships special round sounds good though .

OP, and rather over the top, world-of-warcrafty (thats an adjective lol)
Definitely OP. Definitely over the top (you're paying a lot of Gold it better be worth it!). Not really WoW-y.

Maybe it's the misleading pictures I added lol; they were the closest thing I could find that truly represent the ideas I had. All in all, I think they could be implemented quite easily. Check out the stats and details for each upgrade.

Back