Suggestion Let Male Pirates Primp

@Bart Gunshot
Thanks a lot for showing us that! I love learning the intricacies of games like TLOPO.

I'm quite surprised it's set up this way. It's pretty clear that's not at all the optimal way to have done animations. You're right, too, in that fixing this is excessive effort.

I'd prefer not too see this in the game. A buff male pirate checking his nails doesn't seem right to me, lol.
Same here.
i think that would be like and look strange because when females primp their back arches and their eyebrows go crazy.ɾ⚈▿⚈ɹ
^^

Or perhaps we could have a male equivalent to the female primping. Seeing a male checking his nails, especially a seafaring outlaw, is wrong and unnatural. So perhaps we could have the privilege of "contemplative thinking" (so crossing your arms and stroking your jaw/beard) or something else a bit more masculine.

Come to think of it, I've always wanted to see Jack stroking his jaw while making a tough decision on board his ship or in a tavern. Or during a quest on an island. That would look so cool...

If you really want to primp, just create a female pirate.
I've done it. I mean, what?
May I split your post into two halves please? The first half is your idea. I completely like your idea. I think it would be a cool feature to be able to stroke your beard or something. It's just weird for male pirate to check their nails.

Second half. As for all you men who make women pirate...

/glare

Again. Why is it weird for a man to check his nails??? Reiterating: I have MANY male friends who take better care of their hair and nails than I do. And what's wrong with making a pirate of the opposite gender? This is role play, fam. This whole game is one giant role play. That's absurd. That's like going, "Wow, what the heck, you're playing a game just to be a pirate??? That's ridiculous!" Clearly we're all here. What's so different about playing a different gender vs. a different job title?

Again. Why is it weird for a man to check his nails??? Reiterating: I have MANY male friends who take better care of their hair and nails than I do. And what's wrong with making a pirate of the opposite gender? This is role play, fam. This whole game is one giant role play. That's absurd. That's like going, "Wow, what the heck, you're playing a game just to be a pirate??? That's ridiculous!" Clearly we're all here. What's so different about playing a different gender vs. a different job title?
This has nothing to do with if a man takes better care of his nails than a girl. It's just weird for a man do randomly check his nails in public. That's general not something we do.

When you make a pirate who isn't your gender it you are tricking other players into thinking that you are a different gender than you truly are. Your making other players actual believe your a girl when your actual a boy or vice versa. It's just not right.

When you play this game, you're tricking people into believing you're a pirate, when actually you're just some kid behind a computer screen!!!
Seriously. Do you hear yourself? Calm down, dude. This is a role playing game. On the internet. And you know what people do on the internet? They lie.
Why don't you try enjoying the game with PEOPLE rather than getting upset based on the gender of pirate they're playing as??? Is it so hard to enjoy someone for conversation, rather than their gender????

Last edited:
When you play this game, you're tricking people into believing you're a pirate, when actually you're just some kid behind a computer screen!!!
Seriously. Do you hear yourself? Calm down, dude. This is a role playing game. On the internet. And you know what people do on the internet? They lie.
Why don't you try enjoying the game with PEOPLE rather than getting upset based on the gender of pirate they're playing as??? Is it so hard to enjoy someone for conversation, rather than their gender????
You are comparing things that are totally different!!! EVERYONE is being a pirate and we ALL know that everyone is being a pirate. If someone said I'm a pirate we would probably ignore them because WE know their a pirate. We don't know someone is tricking us into believing there another gender.

Your absolutely right people lie on the internet constantly but I'm not a liar and I'm not going to lie. I treat what I say and do in the game very importantly the same as I treat what I say and do in real life.

I cant make everyone not lie but I myself can not lie and do what I believe is right.

You are comparing things that are totally different!!! EVERYONE is being a pirate and we ALL know that everyone is being a pirate. If someone said I'm a pirate we would probably ignore them because WE know their a pirate. We don't know someone is tricking us into believing there another gender.

Your absolutely right people lie on the internet constantly but I'm not a liar and I'm not going to lie. I treat what I say and do in the game very importantly the same as I treat what I say and do in real life.

I cant make everyone not lie but I myself can not lie and do what I believe is right.
Don't get me wrong real life is much MUCH MUCH MUCH! More important than this game. But what I say in do in the game matters.

This has nothing to do with if a man takes better care of his nails than a girl. It's just weird for a man do randomly check his nails in public. That's general not something we do.

When you make a pirate who isn't your gender it you are tricking other players into thinking that you are a different gender than you truly are. Your making other players actual believe your a girl when your actual a boy or vice versa. It's just not right.

It's not tricking other players into believing you're a girl when you're actually a boy or whatever. I don't automatically assume there is a girl behind every girl pirate and vice versa, because it doesn't matter at all. They're just genders, and have nothing to do with what a person is like. We shouldn't be judging people based on the pirate gender or real gender at all, so this is just a bad point that you're making.

We don't know someone is tricking us into believing there another gender.

So now it's TRICKING someone when you play as a pirate who is another gender? Why? Why do you care so much about what gender they are vs. their entirely fictional in-game avatar? It is literally against the TOS to use your real name, so am I lying by going by Entoni Barns, and not Firstname Lastname? Your argument is gender-ist and flawed in every way.

So now it's TRICKING someone when you play as a pirate who is another gender? Why? Why do you care so much about what gender they are vs. their entirely fictional in-game avatar? It is literally against the TOS to use your real name, so am I lying by going by Entoni Barns, and not Firstname Lastname? Your argument is gender-ist and flawed in every way.
I treat men and women equally.

Then WHY does it matter to you what gender I am or anyone else in this game is??????? Unless you wanna date them, which is also inadvisable, given how frequently people do lie on the internet. Location, age, marital status, etc, none of which has anything to do with gender. WHY can you not just ENJOY playing with them?

Then WHY does it matter to you what gender I am or anyone else in this game is??????? Unless you wanna date them, which is also inadvisable, given how frequently people do lie on the internet. Location, age, marital status, etc, none of which has anything to do with gender. WHY can you not just ENJOY playing with them?
I don't wanna date anyone that's just wrong..

i think that would be like and look strange because when females primp their back arches and their eyebrows go crazy.ɾ⚈▿⚈ɹ

I see boys do that all the time XD
This means bones are named differently, or that the male pirates have a vastly different skeletal mesh.

@Bart Gunshot
That's bizarre. Do they have different skeleton setups? Typically any humanoid animation should work for any humanoid model (though it might look bad).

If the skeleton (you might know it as avatar, but that might just be Unity) uses different names for points or something weird like that, all you should really have to do is assign them. Unless male/female models have drastically different setups (which would be messed up) I don't see how it could be anything but a minor inconvenience. Creating a whole new animation would be major overkill.

However, this does raise another question from me: does this mean there's two of each animation files for the ones that work on both genders? One set up for male and another for female?

Though I do admit I don't know how POTCO/TLOPO is set up, there COULD be a good reason for this I suppose. But what I know of animations (admittedly not a whole lot, I'm more into the programming side) tells me this is weird.

Honestly in response to this whole idea... animation is hard on anything.... but yes in games bones are completely different the body type for male versus female in game is completely different. It would be a lot of work for them to make a animation for males to be able to primp although for some reason... I feel like at some point male pirates could primp...

Look, in all honesty, I have three separate female characters that are only online for role play purposes. And none of those characters have a single friend. I don't want that "trickery" drama. They're simply used to advance Jack Truesilver's story arcs. However, in my previous post, I was being a little facetious about it.

Now stop being a social justice warrior about genders because it's "current year". If we're aiming for historical accuracy, I'm pretty sure that any pirate caught checking his nails or performing any other feminine gesture wouldn't have been taken seriously. In fact, he probably would have been killed for his unusual femininity.

I am a man. I do not usually check my nails. I rub my jaw. In contemplation. Because I am a man.

Look, in all honesty, I have three separate female characters that are only online for role play purposes. And none of those characters have a single friend. I don't want that "trickery" drama. They're simply used to advance Jack Truesilver's story arcs. However, in my previous post, I was being a little facetious about it.

Now stop being a social justice warrior about genders because it's "current year". If we're aiming for historical accuracy, I'm pretty sure that any pirate caught checking his nails or performing any other feminine gesture wouldn't have been taken seriously. In fact, he probably would have been killed for his unusual femininity.

I am a man. I do not usually check my nails. I rub my jaw. In contemplation. Because I am a man.

Pirates also used the ships they captured as their own, be we don't see that in the game. There's voodoo and rules in the game about how we can't shoot living humans, things pirates didn't have access to or even cared about, so the less than accurate nature of male pirates primping their nails wouldn't break immersion or historical accuracy, since there's hardly any historical accuracy in this game to begin with. Only one would be grenades and firearm technology of the time.

Yeah POTCO isn't about historical accuracy.

If you really want we can make scurvy a massive problem, make sailing runs take literally days, remove the repair system, make cannons fire one cannonball at a time, get rid of everything magic/voodoo/undead and make every enemy ship (even ferrets) cripple your ship after just a few shots forcing you to port, add thirst and hunger systems... If you're looking for accuracy POTCO isn't it.

I'm NOT (edit: left this word out!) trying to SJW here, I think bringing that into this conversation wasn't even a good idea. I just think both should have the same amount of content. A male version would be even better than just giving them the female primp, for example.

Pretty sure Jack Sparrow looked at his nails a few times in the movie, something like that would have been neat.

However we've seen that primping isn't going to work for males and creating a whole new animation is not something many of us think a good use of the devs time, so all this becomes irrelevant anyway.

Last edited:
Okay, sooo.. for one, I don't think the emote will be added as Bart showed the complications that would bring.

As far as this sub-topic that started on playing your gender, I play with 'Lightning Drifter' who's a female pirate, to me it's a fantasy game, I am most definitely not playing in Potco or now Tlopo for a hookup, so there's absolutely no harm in playing a pirate that's not your irl gender, because nobody should be trying to 'get anything' out of this besides fun gameplay anyway.
This game offers the player the chance to be whomever they would like to be (Within Code of Conduct haha)

But with that, there is the practicalities of the virtual world that trump just about everything :p

Yeah POTCO isn't about historical accuracy.

If you really want we can make scurvy a massive problem, make sailing runs take literally days, remove the repair system, make cannons fire one cannonball at a time, get rid of everything magic/voodoo/undead and make every enemy ship (even ferrets) cripple your ship after just a few shots forcing you to port, add thirst and hunger systems... If you're looking for accuracy POTCO isn't it.

I'm trying to SJW here, I think bringing that into this conversation wasn't even a good idea. I just think both should have the same amount of content. A male version would be even better than just giving them the female primp, for example.

Pretty sure Jack Sparrow looked at his nails a few times in the movie, something like that would have been neat.

However we've seen that primping isn't going to work for males and creating a whole new animation is not something many of us think a good use of the devs time, so all this becomes irrelevant anyway.
Fair point about the historical accuracy. In all honesty I just wanted to give a justifiable reason as to why male primping sounds unusual and absurd. But I'll give that to you. I apologize for my half-baked argument tactics. I was wrong, and I'm man enough to admit it.

Speaking of manhood, my pirate shall be broody and manly, rubbing his jaw and thinking philosophically about the ethics of piracy in a corrupt world. He will not be primping and checking his nails for dirt. His concerns are a little loftier than that.

Because he is a man.
Hahaha. Humor.

Fact check time, if you're going for real historical accuracy here, the majority of pirates were homo***ual and engaged in homo***ual activity together regularly due to the lack of women on pirate ships. So yes, it is actually entirely likely that they would need to keep their nails in good condition. Not to mention that nails are important for a variety of tasks around a ship, including intricate knot-tying.

Back