Suggestion Let Male Pirates Primp

Okay, let's throw historical accuracy out the window and instead replace it with some sound logic.
The men of the Caribbean will not primp.
Why?
Say it with me, men.

Give me a jaw-rubbing/beard-stroking action or give me death.

You scoundrel...

I care more about broken nails than I do split ends on my facial why. Why? broken nails can become ingrown, that's no fun. I have no big toenails because of this.

Other than the technical aspects which I already addressed it comes down to social issues and really what has influenced you most in your life to determine whether or not you would die hard support this, hate it entirely, or not care one way or another. Traditionalists are going to hate it, non-traditional "progressives" are going to die hard support it. And people who instead take a more nuanced approach to life are likely not going to care about something so trivial.

If you want to talk, or rather argue about your social politics whatever side you are on maybe do it somewhere other than here.

Fact check time, if you're going for real historical accuracy here, the majority of pirates were homo***ual and engaged in homo***ual activity together regularly due to the lack of women on pirate ships. So yes, it is actually entirely likely that they would need to keep their nails in good condition. Not to mention that nails are important for a variety of tasks around a ship, including intricate knot-tying.
With all respect (not trying to continue this argument further) can we please just forget about this? Since its not a big deal, and according to @Bart Gunshot It would be hard to implement.

Reactions: Avb
Look, in all honesty, I have three separate female characters that are only online for role play purposes. And none of those characters have a single friend. I don't want that "trickery" drama. They're simply used to advance Jack Truesilver's story arcs. However, in my previous post, I was being a little facetious about it.

Now stop being a social justice warrior about genders because it's "current year". If we're aiming for historical accuracy, I'm pretty sure that any pirate caught checking his nails or performing any other feminine gesture wouldn't have been taken seriously. In fact, he probably would have been killed for his unusual femininity.

I am a man. I do not usually check my nails. I rub my jaw. In contemplation. Because I am a man.

So uh just for the record... did you know that pirates were very liberal? They rejected all puritan ideas in most cases and so they accepted people who were... not so well liked in society to so far a extent that 1200 years before we legalized same gender marriage here in the United States Many pirates legalized it aboard their ships.

Also Clean prim and proper was a big deal for captains and officers especially if they were attending a party or something.
I personally check my nails all the time and clean them out because ya know... I work labor intensive dirty jobs and If I have to go to a party I would like to be... hygenic?

Fact check time, if you're going for real historical accuracy here, the majority of pirates were homo***ual and engaged in homo***ual activity together regularly due to the lack of women on pirate ships. So yes, it is actually entirely likely that they would need to keep their nails in good condition. Not to mention that nails are important for a variety of tasks around a ship, including intricate knot-tying.

I wouldnt say the majority but you are right, Homo***ual marriage was common aboard pirate ships and crew mates would often develop relationships. In General pirates were very liberal people who hated the rules of society

So uh just for the record... did you know that pirates were very liberal? They rejected all puritan ideas in most cases and so they accepted people who were... not so well liked in society to so far a extent that 1200 years before we legalized same gender marriage here in the United States Many pirates legalized it aboard their ships.

Also Clean prim and proper was a big deal for captains and officers especially if they were attending a party or something.
I personally check my nails all the time and clean them out because ya know... I work labor intensive dirty jobs and If I have to go to a party I would like to be... hygenic?
Take my posts with a grain of salt, my friend. Just about every post of mine is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, though I honestly would prefer a male-exclusive action like jaw-rubbing or beard-stroking, since the females get the exclusive action of primping (in which I would not like to replicate with my male pirates). I'm just having too much fun pretending to be outraged over here!

Also, just on the side, I knew that pirates were rather liberal (at least according to pre-20th Century standards; the term is far from what it used to be), but I did not know about much of this other information. Would you mind giving me some links or references in a PM so that I can read about it? I'm interested.

Honestly I think it would be flipping amazing to see a guy just you know... primp. I don't see the harm in it. Just because it looks strange doesn't mean it shouldn't be added, sorry but that's just an argument that doesn't make sense. There's plenty of food that looks weird but people still eat it and it can even be nutritious. Point being i don't understand how "it's strange and weird" or unmanly Is a legitimate argument against it.

On the other hand while I'd love to see this, if what Bart claims is true (I don't have any doubt about it either) then it's not worth the time for now, there's better things to spend time on than letting male pirates check those fine nails.

Darn you people, please let me stroke my beard. I've wanted to do it for so long.

Give males a male-exclusive motion and let the women keep their female-exclusive motion. I like it that way. Makes you appreciate the differences.

I JUST WANT TO STROKE MY BEARD!

Honestly I think it would be flipping amazing to see a guy just you know... primp. I don't see the harm in it. Just because it looks strange doesn't mean it shouldn't be added, sorry but that's just an argument that doesn't make sense. There's plenty of food that looks weird but people still eat it and it can even be nutritious. Point being i don't understand how "it's strange and weird" or unmanly Is a legitimate argument against it.

On the other hand while I'd love to see this, if what Bart claims is true (I don't have any doubt about it either) then it's not worth the time for now, there's better things to spend time on than letting male pirates check those fine nails.

You know, one might suggest that the allowance for male primping predicated solely on the notion that it is "unconventional" is a weak argument in favor of its implementation.

Last edited:
Darn you people, please let me stroke my beard. I've wanted to do it for so long.

Give males a male-exclusive motion and let the women keep their female-exclusive motion. I like it that way. Makes you appreciate the differences.

I JUST WANT TO STROKE MY BEARD!

You know, one might suggest that the allowance for male primping predicated solely on the notion that it is "unconventional" is a weak argument in favor of its implementation.
I don't know what the problem is over darn body movements. If it's kid friendly who cares. It's disgusting to see all this "get that sjw crap outta here" garbage when it's not even for that and all over VIRTUA. BODY. MOVEMENTS. I don't like that "SJW crap" either but this is not what I thought of when I saw this thread. It's almost as if there's no humor that can be found in this.

It's just such a convoluted issue, as evidenced by the nature of this discussion. Personally, I don't really have an opinion the matter. However, I do notice the effects it has on social groups. It's a tumor that slowly grows and causes chaos. You have people on one side who claim to be open minded, yet turn around and use harsh language on anyone who disagrees with them. And on the other, you have people who think something ought to be this way or that way because...reasons.

I think it's disappointing that such a petty and pointless topic has rustled everybody up. It would be better to not allow so trivial a thing to become a breeding ground for toxicity.

Back