Lets Make A New POTCO

Would You Play A POTCO Remake?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really must apologize, Edward Shipstealer. I know I put out a ridiculous amount of dreams to parse. I'm sorry it was so long-winded. It's indicative of how passionate I am about this game. I will definitely support your Kickstarter effort. I "liked" the post to be kept informed. If you manage to pull this off...well...just give me a shout when you decide to test. I'll be there in a minute.

edward it might be a good direction of the player had a very large amount of freedoms and opportunities such as GTA-5 as well as these can be taken away as the law tries to hunt you down. although it would take alot of work...

I apologize. That was a "War and Peace" post. Just shows how passionate I am about the game, I guess.
Edward - I will definitely support your Kickstarter effort. If you can get it to the testing stage, let me know. I "liked" the post in order to be kept apprised of events.

Again...sorry for going on for so long.

also try the 222,106,and 98 gun versions of the ship of the line class. these might also be known as the first rate ship of the line class ships

umm... i like the idea but why dont you guys just manipulate with POTCO files and create a online host so ppl can continue to play and then some how get the rest of the POTCO files from disney so you can work on the game. Thats what i think

Because Disney owns the rights to Pirates of the Caribbean, the characters, the locations that they created themselves, the ships and weapons designs and even the artwork.

It has to be rebuilt, from scratch, without using any of Disney's original content. Otherwise Disney would sue the life out of the developer(s). Nobody can use Disney's intellectual property and have a hope in the world that Disney won't end up owning their life. There can't be a "Captain Jack Sparrow" anywhere outside of Disney. Or a Will Turner. Or Elizabeth Swan. Or Master Gibbs. Or Tia Dalma. They also own Isla Tormenta, Rumrunner's Isle, Isla de la Porc, and on and on. That's stuff they made up and created. Nobody else can use it. Or any of the weapons they created.

Port Royal, Tortuga and Cuba for sure are fair game for anyone to use, because they really existed. Same with sloops, galleons, frigates and brigs - those all actually existed, historically.

Pantano River? Disney. Davy Jones? History. Driftwood Isle? Disney. Jolly Roger? History.

Any game developer can only use either what's historically fact, or their own creations. Otherwise Disney will own them, lock, stock and barrel. They can't make use of any of Disney's existing files at all. In a nutshell, it's theft. And Disney has long arms and powerful attorneys.

Because Disney owns the rights to Pirates of the Caribbean, the characters, the locations that they created themselves, the ships and weapons designs and even the artwork.

It has to be rebuilt, from scratch, without using any of Disney's original content. Otherwise Disney would sue the life out of the developer(s). Nobody can use Disney's intellectual property and have a hope in the world that Disney won't end up owning their life. There can't be a "Captain Jack Sparrow" anywhere outside of Disney. Or a Will Turner. Or Elizabeth Swan. Or Master Gibbs. Or Tia Dalma. They also own Isla Tormenta, Rumrunner's Isle, Isla de la Porc, and on and on. That's stuff they made up and created. Nobody else can use it. Or any of the weapons they created.

Port Royal, Tortuga and Cuba for sure are fair game for anyone to use, because they really existed. Same with sloops, galleons, frigates and brigs - those all actually existed, historically.

Pantano River? Disney. Davy Jones? History. Driftwood Isle? Disney. Jolly Roger? History.

Any game developer can only use either what's historically fact, or their own creations. Otherwise Disney will own them, lock, stock and barrel. They can't make use of any of Disney's existing files at all. In a nutshell, it's theft. And Disney has long arms and powerful attorneys.

Disney is one powerful Mouse you don't want to mess with. You will wake the sleeping tiger.
Well I really interested but I'm not the first,so I hope can help or test other than just donate

There will be more on this on our forums tomorrow :)Guys, I cannot thank you all enough for all the feedback and support, we were excepting one or two views and everyone would think you cannot replace what we have lost. I get tears of joy wen I look at this thread and see that we have a group of people passionate about this game and want to see it happen. Please I cannot thank you enough, but spread the word. Send this link to friends and anyone else! You guys are the best pirates a pirates could wish to meet, you guys truly are pirates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's something from our forums(Which aren't public yet):

Features Of The Game
We look at ever suggestion as a better solution to the game. We think about every reply and thread you guys post so keep them coming. We plan to make a POTCO remake without copyright issues. So whats different?
  • Islands and Island Names
  • Weapons Design and Names
  • Characters(Or NPCs)
  • Looting(Possibility Not 100% Yet)
  • Old Body Types
  • Better Graphics
  • No Lag
  • More Ships
  • 1,000,000 Gold Limit
  • lv100 Notoriety Cap
  • More Quests
  • Not Panda3D, We use Unity 4.2.1f4
  • In-Game Weather
Also Captain Redhorn No. I don't know where your reply went or if you deleted it but I got the email for it. We do not except $500 from each of you. We don't want your money but sadly we do need to get it from somewhere that's the whole point of the fundraising. People on KickStarter will want to back the project and we also get new players as well. If you want to donation $500, by all means, it would mean a ton to us. Hopefully we will be able to reach our goal with everyone spending as little as possible!
Yeah I apologize, my math skills are seriously lacking. Lol

Making a game ain't cheap that's for sure. As stated previously it is in the 6 digits, the price of a nice house near my High School. Good luck on making one, I am with some people making a new pirate game as well but I am trying to stay low on this new POTCO or new Pirate MMO stuff.

Very interested in this considering many people do not step out and say "Hey.. Over there... Yes you! We are building a new game!! :D:D:D:D"

I can honestly say I want this to work.

I think Unity is a great choice. (played with it for a while just goofing around and it seemed pretty good)

The graphics are great, it has script use, and all around powerful compared to Panda3d.

Good luck mates!

Hoist the colors proud and never shall you die!

I'm not sure about how Davy Darkrage feels about this, but I don't like it.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not sure about how Davy Darkrage feels about this, but I don't like it.

We don't mean to offend anyone. We are just getting the word out there and using our forums as a place for people to put suggestion in for the game. They can stay on this forum as well as our forums. We don't want to take away people of the POTCO community as we were also part of it. Sorry if you feel offended or don't like what we are doing.

We don't mean to offend anyone. We are just getting the word out there and using our forums as a place for people to put suggestion in for the game. They can stay on this forum as well as our forums. We don't want to take away people of the POTCO community as we were also part of it. Sorry if you feel offended or don't like what we are doing.

If we want any form of "advertising" here (not that I consider this to truly be advertising), then I'd think we would want it to be for a remake of the now dead game that this very forum was made for.

No offense taken, I don't think you had any bad intentions :) However with Pirates closing so recently I am still nervous about the future of this community. I don't know what the future holds but if your idea materializes I would be happy to consider making changes to be a fan-forum for a POTCO-inspired game, or even linking directly to your forum.

At the same time I don't wish to offend you, but until some sort of alpha or something is in place I feel uncomfortable having links to forums that might draw activity away from here. I don't mean to make anyone here feel like they're locked in or being held hostage - you may go where you please, just find another way to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back