Light ships

Just started back up, used to play the original game ages ago. Is it worth putting money into a light version of any of the ships? I'm almost level five sailing already to unlock the normal versions and figured I would just wait and save my money for one of those unless you guys have any other advice?

Hello Maximum, I think it would be a smart move to just wait till you hit lvl 5 sailing and put the money into a medium lvl ships.

As far as medium ship choices personally I like either the sloop or war frigate. Sloop for faster travel to island and while in ship combat and frigates for bigger lvl ship fights like hunters. The brig is also a good in between ship also.

For material upgrades if your curious I personally like to save them and gold for war ships as they take a lot more then medium ships.

Hope this helps you out. Welcome back to the game.

Hi Maximum!

Welcome to the Forums and to testing TLOPO Beta!

I personally have always saved my gold for a war ship at level 15 sailing.
Others may do it differently.
I like brigs and they cost more, so for that reason I don't bother getting the "medium" brig at all.

Ahoy @Maximum Edgepheonix,

To further iterate on others' points, it very much depends on how much you feel obliged to sail, if at all, and if you plan to spend your time later down the line upgrading your vessels to be gorgeous AND lethal! A general rule of thumb for me (since I tend to always get my Pirates to Lv. 15 Sailing eventually...) is to hold off buying a newer ship past your dingy little light sloop until I can afford a Standard Brig.

The middle class ships are often overlooked as they do really nothing better than the Light or War class ships, but the big advantage is that if you aren't a big fan of grinding out sailing, they CAN be upgraded down the different paths, and if you aren't sure what you want to do later, this is a great way to get a feel for the power and handling of the different upgrade trees.

Welcome to the TLOPO Beta phase, and enjoy your time around these parts. See you out on the water. :)

Fair Winds,

Misha

This is late but an additional thing you can do is ask a guildmate, mate / even someone random if they'd be kind enough to let you sail for a few / the rest of the run. You'll find that sailing someone else's ship will mean other ships will hit you much easier but generally, sailing a warship will mean more people will join. So more crew bonus = faster road to warships and max.

Light ships are super cheap and its frankly impossible to put much money into them. Whether you should have one or not is a matter of personal preference, they are a lot of fun but lack the power of bigger ships. I wish I could have one of every ship model in the game but alas, you can only have 3. You need to make a plan once you get medium ships as far as whether the ship is one you will keep or just a stepping stone to a war class or a trial to see if you like it before you dump big money and mats into upgrades. With the light ships you can buy and sell with little consequence so long as you aren't selling an expensive ship just to make room in your inventory.

As a lover of both sailing and SVS/privateering, I never wasted my time or gold on small-to-medium sized ships. Now, granted, you must acquire a ship to get around the game as a low level pirate! But even still...I am of the opinion that the small-to-medium sized ships don’t quite offer enough protection and armor pirates need to become “disruptable” within the Caribbean.

If you can, I recommend saving up your gold for a WAR SLOOP because that ship - my friend - will get you from point A to point B with the greatest amount of speed and durability until you can later afford a War Frigate (my ‘2nd choice’ in ship class if you know how to correctly Captain a large crew to increase the payload of such investment). ;)

Hi Maximum!

Welcome to the Forums and to testing TLOPO Beta!

I personally have always saved my gold for a war ship at level 15 sailing.
Others may do it differently.
I like brigs and they cost more, so for that reason I don't bother getting the "medium" brig at all.
I use a medium brig as a stepping stone to my final ships, before I reach lvl 15 sailing, it's and excellent getter of rep, gold and mats for the low level captain. My final ship inventory does include a medium Stormchaser sloop which is a gas to sail and few realize it's power.

Thank you both for the advice! Whether I wait until either getting my medium ship or war ship I at least know that I'll be skipping the light ships.
In potco the AI ships were slower and slower to react which meant that with a lvl 30 cannoneer or 2 you could be dominant in a light ship but in tlopo this is not the case. In tlopo the light ships can't get position on AI ships the way they could in potco making them much weaker in tlopo. I do not know if this will ever change in tlopo, this is a potco recreation but many have expressed that they prefer the tlopo AI and no developers have ever commented to my knowledge. Edit: Here's something I've not really commented on in forums before: When I said the above I was referring to regular AI ships but hunters and sotl are different, they are more hapless in tlopo than they were in potco. I think the reason is their turning radius is longer but I'm not sure about that. The Fleets are also less effective enemies in tlopo, their aim is no where near as good as it was in potco.

Last edited:
Per the following update fix, any Galleon’s armor (and Sloop’s speed) should now be adjusted correctly. ;)

Really? I have doubt. I used to do mat runs in my light sloop in potco. Just 3 hunters and done, lol.

Well check this out Eric. We got the hold completely full of stuff that can't be replaced and no bounty hunters came after us or our pirate flag never indicated that bounty was on us. I'm not surprised you don't know this as you probably haven't set foot on a light ship in time out of mind. I do almost every time I log in to help low level pirates.

If you want to see the whole run that generated the screen shot below its here on youtube:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s_-s-CZ6uY&t=9s

Attachments

• 2019-03-17.png
    2019-03-17.png
    728.1 KB · Views: 123
Light ships are super cheap and its frankly impossible to put much money into them. Whether you should have one or not is a matter of personal preference, they are a lot of fun but lack the power of bigger ships. I wish I could have one of every ship model in the game but alas, you can only have 3. You need to make a plan once you get medium ships as far as whether the ship is one you will keep or just a stepping stone to a war class or a trial to see if you like it before you dump big money and mats into upgrades. With the light ships you can buy and sell with little consequence so long as you aren't selling an expensive ship just to make room in your inventory.
Wonder what the limiting factors are for not having more ship bottles.

Back