Light sloops are owning war galleons nowadays?

James Mcmartin

Pirate Apprentice
6 tons of hull cannot beat a 600 pound boat? O_O

6 tons of hull cannot beat a 600 pound boat? O_O

Sorry, forgot to post picture lol
374896_315868295108132_100000548910145_1164656_523974531_n.jpg

Irl, really anything could sink a huge ship. A dinghy could.(Okay.. Maybe not a dinghy, but you get the point) You just need the right firepower - explosives, luck, and maybe a blunderbuss could help. Maneuvering also counted in alot in sinking ships; if your enemy can't hit you, you can easily win.. If you can hit them, though. Not saying a light ship could sink a huge Royal Navy Ship of the Line irl, but something like that. Galleons weren't super huge irl anyways- Disney exaggerated a bit on their size, o.o....
It's the cannons sinking the ship most of the time - ships don't change much in firepower except for height, angle, etc..

Agreed with Con; smaller ships are obviously more agile, and with the correct ammo you can easily sink any ship. idk about anyone else, but seeing a war galleon is like a field day in svs, such an easy target lol

in my experience with privateering with my new war ships the only ships that have beaten me have been light sloops itrs reallly weird >.> :excited:

Just gonna say that irl, SIZE MATTERS and a light slop wouldn't stand a ghost of a chance against anything really. Of course, you need to count the crew, you cant fire a cannon without a person, sometimes you even need 3 or 4 people for the bigger ones (broadsides included:mad:). If one is less than half the size of the other ship its stands no chance (not that one over half would stand much of a chance). The big navy ships where the big guys, nothing attacked them, not even the most daring pirates, in fact it was a "rule" that SOTLs would only attack other SOTLs in war, although when tracking down pirates etc. it was a different story.

Irl, really anything could sink a huge ship. A dinghy could.(Okay.. Maybe not a dinghy, but you get the point) You just need the right firepower - explosives, luck, and maybe a blunderbuss could help. Maneuvering also counted in alot in sinking ships; if your enemy can't hit you, you can easily win.. If you can hit them, though. Not saying a light ship could sink a huge Royal Navy Ship of the Line irl, but something like that. Galleons weren't super huge irl anyways- Disney exaggerated a bit on their size, o.o....
It's the cannons sinking the ship most of the time - ships don't change much in firepower except for height, angle, etc..

Smaller ships had smaller cannons, and thus did not do that much damage to a larger ship with more armor, also having smaller cannons meant they could not carry heavier cannon balls and some types of ammunition. Besides, all the larger ship had to do if it where a pretty small ship was turn its bow to the smaller ships hull and it would be ripped apart. I think for once Disney actually did a good job on the galleons, they look exactly like old Spanish galleons. Also, whats a blunderbuss gonna do to a hull? it might kill some people (if you can get close enough, as blunderbusses have short range as it is) but that's about it.

Smaller ships had smaller cannons, and thus did not do that much damage to a larger ship with more armor, also having smaller cannons meant they could not carry heavier cannon balls and some types of ammunition. Besides, all the larger ship had to do if it where a pretty small ship was turn its bow to the smaller ships hull and it would be ripped apart. I think for once Disney actually did a good job on the galleons, they look exactly like old Spanish galleons. Also, whats a blunderbuss gonna do to a hull? it might kill some people (if you can get close enough, as blunderbusses have short range as it is) but that's about it.
Not all large ships had amazingly strong armor like they present in the game. Some had to go very fast; the strong armor had to be sacrificed for the speed. And, if they turned their prows to the smaller ships, all the small ships had to do was move. Small ships would out-maneuver the larger ships, and not always had smaller cannons. You could fit a pretty big cannon on a light ship if you had to.
images

These are medium war galleons. If you had a light galleon (the real ones.. Not the fake ingame ones.) It could take this out if it got close up to it and the upper cannons of the warship could not reach. Half of the broadsides would also be unable to reach the light.
I'm not saying light ships ALWAYS win against wars. There's a reason they created warships; to win. But, if a light had no choice, or, even a medium merchant-size ship had no choice, it has a good chance to take out a warship.

Not all large ships had amazingly strong armor like they present in the game. Some had to go very fast; the strong armor had to be sacrificed for the speed. And, if they turned their prows to the smaller ships, all the small ships had to do was move. Small ships would out-maneuver the larger ships, and not always had smaller cannons. You could fit a pretty big cannon on a light ship if you had to.
images

These are medium war galleons. If you had a light galleon (the real ones.. Not the fake ingame ones.) It could take this out if it got close up to it and the upper cannons of the warship could not reach. Half of the broadsides would also be unable to reach the light.
I'm not saying light ships ALWAYS win against wars. There's a reason they created warships; to win. But, if a light had no choice, or, even a medium merchant-size ship had no choice, it has a good chance to take out a warship.

true.

In SvS, small sloops have an extreme advantage. Once you add lag or a glitching player into the mix - then hitting one is nearly impossible without a full barrage.

Against NPC ships, the pirates will always have an advantage. Any class of ship the pirate sails will generally do more damage that an equivilant class no matter what the level.

The exception to this is the Hunters and the few times a Warship can actually hit an explosive broadside.

size doesn't matter:)in this case anyway:flag: its the capt and the crew on board:fight:if you have a good crew and good team work :daggermouth: you be doing pretty well id say

images

Those are frigates, actually. The bigger one, definitely, not sure about the smaller ones.

images

It also depends on what nation your fighting, the British had their broadsides lower, whereas the french had them higher up. Lights have no chance against wars, merchants on the other hand did relatively well, but they always tried to get away when they saw the British flag on the horizon. You could get a big cannon on a light ship, but it was not a good idea, you had to have a bigger crew and you would have less cannons on the ship. Also, there was no light/medium/war classes irl.

It also depends on what nation your fighting, the British had their broadsides lower, whereas the french had them higher up. Lights have no chance against wars, merchants on the other hand did relatively well, but they always tried to get away when they saw the British flag on the horizon. You could get a big cannon on a light ship, but it was not a good idea, you had to have a bigger crew and you would have less cannons on the ship. Also, there was no light/medium/war classes irl.

Actually, there were classes. Not like in game, though. Light ships - smaller, usually faster, but weaker. Medium - usually, most common ships. Merchants, pirates, really anything except the HMS captains used mediums. War - Very rarely pirates. Alot used in wars, hence the name 'warship'. And, with my experience researching and studying how ships worked, you still only need 1 to 3 people to operate a cannon. Any size. 1 to load, to fire, and some to aim it by pushing it. This is getting a little off topic, and is a waste of time, so I'm done here.

small ship = less cannon accuracy from opposing group
good/experienced crew = more direct hits on the opposing bigger and badder ships
good/experienced captian = good maneuvering within the larger opposing ships
-- it all depends on the situation --

It is very unrealistic. A light sloop has the same speed as a sloop and a War Sloop... That by itself cannot be defined by any thing in reality. Small ship doesn't mean faster ship. More sails and better sails means faster ship. In the game, the light sloop is small and has little sails. In reality, a war sloop would be faster than a light sloop. Size matters to in speed because you can cover more distance at a faster rate. In reality, a light sloop would not catch up to a war galleon. A sloop or war sloop might, but definitely not a light sloop...

In the game, it really matters little what the ship is but putting a war galleon in SvS would not be a great idea. They have an exaggerated front and are very tall for nothing. It's shape is a like an ammo magnet yelling to get shot. Light sloops have the advantage of being small therefore hard to hit in mid to far range distances and can be maneuvered easy.

In the end, all the ships in POTCO are unrealistic. That doesn't mean they are fake. Instead it means they are simple for everyone to have an equal knowledge of the ship. Sailing itslef in POTCO is very simple if you know what/when you are supposed to press a skill and where/when to turn.

I laugh so hard when I get a one broadside sink on a light sloop from my Copperhead Frigate due to the explosives! Also I smile largely when I run down light sloops with my Storm Chaser War Brig and crush them with multiple thunder strikes!

As to realism this is Pirates of the Caribbean, not Tall Ship sailing simulator!

Back