Light sloops are owning war galleons nowadays?

I laugh so hard when I get a one broadside sink on a light sloop from my Copperhead Frigate due to the explosives! Also I smile largely when I run down light sloops with my Storm Chaser War Brig and crush them with multiple thunder strikes!
Pshh, won't be laughing when a light sloop long-distance p'wns your war frigate.. :D

Pshh, won't be laughing when a light sloop long-distance p'wns your war frigate.. :D

At the range ye speak of(out of broadside range) fury does less damage, and thunder firing rate is too slow to truly harm my armored battleship. If my hull armor is gone, because those brave enough to close with me took it and ye get a lucky hit and sink her and ye declare p'wns! Then I quake at ye deadly legend ye have in ye own mind.:p

The stop and go tactic really works in avoiding broadsides sometimes so you might want to consider that too lol

I am one of the few people that svs with a light sometimes. People only get mad when they get sink by one lol But notice that a light is also hard to hit but more vulnerable than any other ship. I agree, only the right gunner and sailor can achieve successfully in a light sloop.Btw, its like this, ever seen a light with this much bounty?Btw, its like this, ever seen a light with this much bounty?

Attachments

• 320960_156993177718923_2118911_n.jpg
    320960_156993177718923_2118911_n.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited by a moderator:
It's also good to remember that in the 1600-1800s, the worst enemy of line of large, heavily equipped ships was the small 4-gun brig.

Anyway, I used to light sloop solo in SvS but nowadays with the extra boosts to upgraded broadsides and the loss of the "wheel-taking boost" it's kinda obsolete to go out in one by yourself.

I've always argued that the light sloop has been a hit-and-run instrument and never really meant to go against any big ship by itself. After Ship Customization came out, dealing with those tough copperhead war frigates in solo sloops always involved approaching them in the opposite direction that they were moving (to avoid their broadsides locking), throwing an iron-priming-boosted explosive, running, and repeating. It eventually worked so well that I was able to lower my Take Cover skill to 2, but unfortunately there really wasn't much use in it other than that.

A light sloop with a gunner is a different story however.. although SC made it harder to run, simply turning 10-degrees to the side after an enemy broadside approaches usually puts it out of harm's way and non-experienced gunners usually have a hard time hitting it.

Real pirates preferred smaller, faster ships. A mid-sized sloop would have been a perfect choice. Quick, agile with a minimal draft for hiding in shallower waters.

Probably what doomed Blackbeard. He was trying to sail the Queen Anne's Revenge near South Carolina's shallow waters but the Revenge was a much heavier ship than most pirates used.

Back