Light Sloops invincible.

Gibby

Sea Legs
I'm not entirely sure if you guys know about this, but I couldn't find any other threads about this.
It is EXTREMELY difficult to die while in a light sloop. Me and my friend (As level 4's.) challenged a high level war frigate, and sunk it, and lost nearly no health on our boat. It kind of eliminates the need for bigger boats, if the starter boat is the best one of all. I believe that this is due to the fact that the light sloop is a very low boat, and the cannons go right over it, or the AI just has a tough time aiming at it. Anyways, I hope I was helpful in creating this thread.

I'm not entirely sure if you guys know about this, but I couldn't find any other threads about this.
It is EXTREMELY difficult to die while in a light sloop. Me and my friend (As level 4's.) challenged a high level war frigate, and sunk it, and lost nearly no health on our boat. It kind of eliminates the need for bigger boats, if the starter boat is the best one of all. I believe that this is due to the fact that the light sloop is a very low boat, and the cannons go right over it, or the AI just has a tough time aiming at it. Anyways, I hope I was helpful in creating this thread.
Agreed. (I am that friend)

This is NOT a bug. This is kinda the point of light sloops ;). It was like this in POTCO and it should stay this way. That's why it's a strategy in SVS. Although, they aren't invincible, just very close. :D

There's a difference between light, fast and maneuverable and outright invincible. I easily took on about 4 large level 30 frigates at once without moving (I was an easy target, and was hit often) while on a public large brig, we sunk after being attacked by two Navy Monarchs at once. This isn't normal, it is a bug and it was not like this in POTCO.

There's a difference between light, fast and maneuverable and outright invincible. I easily took on about 4 large level 30 frigates at once without moving (I was an easy target, and was hit often) while on a public large brig, we sunk after being attacked by two Navy Monarchs at once. This isn't normal, it is a bug and it was not like this in POTCO.
I'm actually about 99% sure it isn't a bug and it is how it was in POTCO

Screenshot (15).png Screenshot (14).png
Solo killed a level 16 galleon? Without taking any health whatsoever?

NPC enemy ships currently do not take into consideration height of a ship when firing broadsides making sloops nearly invincible to NPC enemy ships. That is a bug. I think player broadsides may miss light sloops as well making that a bug as well. However I'm pretty positive light sloop's health and armor behave pretty close if not the same in SVS in TLOPO as they did in POTCO. Its a legitimate strategy for SvS. But yeah NPC and Player ships need work on broadside calculations.

NPC enemy ships currently do not take into consideration height of a ship when firing broadsides making sloops nearly invincible to NPC enemy ships. That is a bug. I think player broadsides may miss light sloops as well making that a bug as well. However I'm pretty positive light sloop's health and armor behave pretty close if not the same in SVS in TLOPO as they did in POTCO. Its a legitimate strategy for SvS. But yeah NPC and Player ships need work on broadside calculations.
That does make more sense actually. Thanks for clearing that up :)

Yeah, the AI aiming doesn't account well for height. For those saying this is just strategy, I'm quite sure you're wrong - light sloops can and will be hit if they don't stay out of range.

If you you sail a ship that is lower to the ocean than your enemy's ship, sailing below the enemy cannons is possible. At most your masts will be damaged. That is why sloops go for galleons and brigs in SvS in the original game.

If you you sail a ship that is lower to the ocean than your enemy's ship, sailing below the enemy cannons is possible. At most your masts will be damaged. That is why sloops go for galleons and brigs in SvS in the original game.
This is true, but I remember that in the old game it was very easy to die against larger ships (NPC War Galleons, Frigates, etc.). In this game it is simply impossible to die to them as they CANNOT hit you, unless they hit your sails.

Thought too it was a glitch and used it as an advantage to bring points up lol. In the original game I used a sloop often after building skills with it to take down higher level ships but remember taking damage heavier than the current game. Got bored of being 'invincible' and bought a larger vessel (frigade?) to keep a challenge.

I believe I have the answer for this. It appears as though there's a bug right now, where enemy ship damage is based off of the pirate ship's owner's cannon skills. One guy I sail with regularly has maxed explosives, and his copperhead war frigate takes a lot of damage if caught in direct fire of enemy explosive shots. Likewise, for me, when first starting out, my light sloop took little to no damage wherever I went.

I've experienced something similar, in my Light Frigate enemy war ships shot over me and so I rarely took damage, even when staying still and upon getting a Galleon I found it next to impossible to hit enemy light ships and any kind of sloops with my broadside as the cannonballs just fly over them, while also getting hit myself considerably more often.

I've Sunk many a times In POTCO with a Light Sloop !
I Noticed the Rude ones In Light Sloops dragging 10 ships to your War Ship to try to sink you also !

Back