Suggestion Limit other player effects

ruisen2000

Swashbuckler
Hello,
Would it be possible to have an option to limit the amount of effects being rendered to improve game performance?

For example, each sword strike causes a yellow light effect on the enemy, and at Pali, with 10+ people hitting it with swords, you get tons of these light effects. Toggling the option could either: limit these sword effects to only render the sword light effects from your own sword, or only render a max of 2 sword effects at any time.
Something similar with staff effects: render only 1 staff AoE effect (if multiple people are spamming wither, render only 1 on the screen at any given time).

Hello,
Would it be possible to have an option to limit the amount of effects being rendered to improve game performance?

For example, each sword strike causes a yellow light effect on the enemy, and at Pali, with 10+ people hitting it with swords, you get tons of these light effects. Toggling the option could either: limit these sword effects to only render the sword light effects from your own sword, or only render a max of 2 sword effects at any time.
Something similar with staff effects: render only 1 staff AoE effect (if multiple people are spamming wither, render only 1 on the screen at any given time).
Limit people on bosses?
But you're not supposed to be out and about because it's shelter in place all over the country.
... Oh wait.

What are you talking about? He only said to limit the weapon effects.
Well, the effects are identifiers to whatever is being used. People like them, some don't. If a player chooses to, perhaps within our client graphic settings, are own personal viewing profile, we could just turn off all weapons effects- IF that would really improve our frame rates.
But I don't see just turning off what we see would actually effect the server numbers. So maybe the game would have to do something for improvements.

Well, the effects are identifiers to whatever is being used. People like them, some don't. If a player chooses to, perhaps within our client graphic settings, are own personal viewing profile, we could just turn off all weapons effects- IF that would really improve our frame rates.
But I don't see just turning off what we see would actually effect the server numbers. So maybe the game would have to do something for improvements.
Again, what are you talking about? That's exactly what he said.

Why are you going on about server numbers?

Again, what are you talking about? That's exactly what he said.

Why are you going on about server numbers?
Because, I've always advocated for player choices with issues like this. But the question/point I had is whether a player side setting could help without laying it on the staff and the game globally. The OP asks if effects could be limited to improve game performance. The balance of adjustments in games is to make the change as transparent to everyone as possible. So, if we have a setting WE can change that works, then the staff doesn't have to make huge changes to the code. I talking about an easier solution. Savvy?

I can improve my fps right now by setting everything lower, however, one does not get the full experience that way.

Because, I've always advocated for player choices with issues like this. But the question/point I had is whether a player side setting could help without laying it on the staff and the game globally. The OP asks if effects could be limited to improve game performance. The balance of adjustments in games is to make the change as transparent to everyone as possible. So, if we have a setting WE can change that works, then the staff doesn't have to make huge changes to the code. I talking about an easier solution. Savvy?

I can improve my fps right now by setting everything lower, however, one does not get the full experience that way.

I understand but again, he never said for the developers to change everything. He said "Would it be possible to have an option to limit the amount of effects being rendered to improve game performance?", what did you understand by having an option?

I really don't understand what you were trying to convey. I mean, now I kinda get it, I guess you want the player to modify it himself? Maybe he could but, if any played can do it the devs could add an option for anyone too.

Ah, I see. A player option.
Oops, that's exactly what I was going to thunk. Too much rum.
Sorry, my bad.

Back