Linux systems

GunsInMyBoots

Wanted Pirate
Hey! So I'm a returning member who really wants to experience the good ol' days, feeling a bit nostalgic with this whole pandemic... but anyway I noticed I can't download POTCO because I have a Linux operating system (not mac or windows, unfortunately)

I guess I was wondering what the possibility of POTCO ever being on the browser and no download required or even being able to operate on Linux 😭

TLOPO ran really well on Wine the last time I tried, though it's been a while so YMMV. It can technically run natively on Linux, there's just no launcher available for it right now.

As Davy said, TLOPO does actually have game files for Linux. Just not an official launcher at the moment. If you'd like to try it I've made a rudimentary launcher that downloads (and updates) and launches the game. I haven't packaged a executable for Linux but I've tested it on both Ubuntu and Manjaro and it works fine. It just needs Python 3 (and the requests library) to be installed which should come with most distributions.

You'll probably run into dependency issues. I didn't have much issue resolving these through the distro's package manager.
You'll also need to set the game binary it downloads to be able to be ran as an executable.

If you decide to run it this way and need assistance with the above I can try to help. (although I'm pretty new to Linux myself)

UPDATE: I've packaged a Linux executable. However I failed to realize that the packager I'm using isn't backwards compatible with a certain linux package. So I'll have to download a much older version in order to make it more compatible with more machines. I'll look into fixing this later. For now, this executable should work if you have GLIBC version 2.31+. To check run ldd --version in a terminal. This is honestly a fairly new version. So I'd doubt it'd work on anything but the bleeding edge distributions.

Also I'm on a chromebook!
Not too familiar with ChromeOS, but some light research looks like it's Linux app support is implemented with a virtual machine within ChromeOS. And according to Google's page its in beta and most importantly:

Check what’s not supported yet
  • Hardware acceleration is not yet supported, including GPU and video decode.
If this is up to date then I don't think you can run the game. Pretty sure the game requires hardware acceleration.

I'll see about getting a virtual machine running to test it out though.

Last edited:
Back