Looking Forward to Playing This Game Again After 3 Years

kingtag1999

Buccaneer
Hello everyone. I've been gone from LOTRO for about 3 years due to computer problems. Should be getting a new laptop later this week and picked up Mines of Moria from Savers for 10 bucks. Any class I should try? Thinking of making a Man Warden, and maybe a Dwarf Minstrel. I'm not really a fan of healers, but I've played a little bit of a Minstrel and enjoyed it. I'm still in Fellowship, but I plan to try to get the Quad Pack and Helm's Deep as well as VIP. Can't wait to play this game again after being gone for a while. I hope to see you all ingame.

LotRO ain't entirely broke. It's just a much bigger grind than it used to be :(. Arkenstone is probably the busiest server you'll encounter, but I'm stuck on Gladden for now. Gladden is nicer though imo, but it can get awfully quiet at times.

LotRO ain't entirely broke. It's just a much bigger grind than it used to be :(. Arkenstone is probably the busiest server you'll encounter, but I'm stuck on Gladden for now. Gladden is nicer though imo, but it can get awfully quiet at times.
Used to play on Crickhollow a lot. From what I hear though, PvMP seems to be the most broken thing in the game. Guess it's good I never quite got into PvMP.
EDIT: Also, hear the game got new ownership and renamed Turbine Points to LOTRO Points. How're things after the switch?

Used to play on Crickhollow a lot. From what I hear though, PvMP seems to be the most broken thing in the game. Guess it's good I never quite got into PvMP.

There's a lot of animosity going on between "creeps" and "freeps" at the moment. Sadly I love my warg but as of late the only thing you'll encounter in PvMP is hunters (ranged class) or burglars (stealth/melee) on freepside and wargs (stealth/melee) on creepside. The variety is astonishingly lacking and that makes for poor fights.

That being said, should you find yourself on Gladden, I'm happy to lend a hand! Main character is Throllo. Good kinships there are: DoME, Ramble On of Elendimir, Blackwynd Fyre and Steel, and Council of Elder Lords to name a few. Note that Ramble On is more for end game raiding however.

I believe I was in something like "Shadows of the Moon" or something similar on Crick but I'll have to check that for you. Not sure if they are active still, but it was a nice kinship when I was there.

Highly highly recommend any class with hobbits. They have some of the best racial skills and their class bonuses are nice. Particularly hobbit burglars (not pressuring you here, but just sayin').

There's a lot of animosity going on between "creeps" and "freeps" at the moment. Sadly I love my warg but as of late the only thing you'll encounter in PvMP is hunters (ranged class) or burglars (stealth/melee) on freepside and wargs (stealth/melee) on creepside. The variety is astonishingly lacking and that makes for poor fights.

That being said, should you find yourself on Gladden, I'm happy to lend a hand! Main character is Throllo. Good kinships there are: DoME, Ramble On of Elendimir, Blackwynd Fyre and Steel, and Council of Elder Lords to name a few. Note that Ramble On is more for end game raiding however.

I believe I was in something like "Shadows of the Moon" or something similar on Crick but I'll have to check that for you. Not sure if they are active still, but it was a nice kinship when I was there.

Highly highly recommend any class with hobbits. They have some of the best racial skills and their class bonuses are nice. Particularly hobbit burglars (not pressuring you here, but just sayin').
Thanks. Will keep your advice in mind. Hey, can Hobbits (and other races) still do the other race' prologues? For example, can a Hobbit do a Man Prologue? Never really tried that before, but I hear it's doable. Reason I'm asking is cause I hate the Shire Prologue Quests (and its Quests in general).

Thanks. Will keep your advice in mind. Hey, can Hobbits (and other races) still do the other race' prologues? For example, can a Hobbit do a Man Prologue? Never really tried that before, but I hear it's doable. Reason I'm asking is cause I hate the Shire Prologue Quests (and its Quests in general).

Yes I believe you can in some (limited) respects. It'd require you to take a stable over to Bree from Michel Delving (the main hobbit stable), and run over to Archet from Bree. The quest givers should still have the glow-y rings on them regardless of race, but you wouldn't be able to do the "Calder Cob" intro for example. It's only the post-Archet intro quests that would be available as far as I know (like clearing out the attic of spiders etc). I've never tried doing the actual prologue epics right from the start as a different race, but its probably doable.

Will have to check it out. Another question. Trying to decide between a Warden and a Rune-Keeper. From what I hear, Rune-Keeper is really difficult to master, but I wanna try it, but Warden sounds similar to the Captain class, in that it is very versatile. I really like Cappys, but I'm not sure what to decide between.

Will have to check it out. Another question. Trying to decide between a Warden and a Rune-Keeper. From what I hear, Rune-Keeper is really difficult to master, but I wanna try it, but Warden sounds similar to the Captain class, in that it is very versatile. I really like Cappys, but I'm not sure what to decide between.
Haha happy to help.

Both RK and Warden do quite a bit of AoE damage which is sought after a lot these days. Wardens fulfill your DPS/tank roles and do pretty well in that regard. RKs are healing/DPS but most folks go the DPS route with them.

Warden, while I like it a lot, has some quirks, namely that you have to build up skills ("gambit builders") in order to have more impressive attacks ("gambits"), but it also allows for a lot of variability for your skill rotation. I can go from full DPS attacks to all self-heals with a couple switched gambit builders, regardless of whether I am DPS or tank build to begin with.

RKs are more limited in that respect. You are stuck with the skills you're given and can't really create any unique rotations.

I'd recommend Dwarf RK and/or Hobbit warden. I have a warden at level cap (105), but I will add that RKs are generally in higher demand than wardens for raids just due to their sheer DPS output. At the same time, a lot of people are making RKs — its a "double-edged sword" so-to-speak. Both are very good classes.
Best of luck! :)

Haha happy to help.

Both RK and Warden do quite a bit of AoE damage which is sought after a lot these days. Wardens fulfill your DPS/tank roles and do pretty well in that regard. RKs are healing/DPS but most folks go the DPS route with them.

Warden, while I like it a lot, has some quirks, namely that you have to build up skills ("gambit builders") in order to have more impressive attacks ("gambits"), but it also allows for a lot of variability for your skill rotation. I can go from full DPS attacks to all self-heals with a couple switched gambit builders, regardless of whether I am DPS or tank build to begin with.

RKs are more limited in that respect. You are stuck with the skills you're given and can't really create any unique rotations.

I'd recommend Dwarf RK and/or Hobbit warden. I have a warden at level cap (105), but I will add that RKs are generally in higher demand than wardens for raids just due to their sheer DPS output. At the same time, a lot of people are making RKs — its a "double-edged sword" so-to-speak. Both are very good classes.
Best of luck! :)
Gonna do both. Been wanting to try out both classes, and now that I have Moria I'm gonna do my best to try both.

Gonna do both. Been wanting to try out both classes, and now that I have Moria I'm gonna do my best to try both.
Forgot to add: Cappy's are more similar to... well neither RK or Warden, to be honest. Captain has more fellowship based heals (warden are largely self-heal only, same could be said for a non-heal traited RK) and relies on the ally pet to buff its damage etc. I guess you could consider rune-stones like a "pet rock"? Wardens will certainly be more "tanky" and you might find that you are a little squishy to start off as an RK, but both are well worth it.

Forgot to add: Cappy's are more similar to... well neither RK or Warden, to be honest. Captain has more fellowship based heals (warden are largely self-heal only, same could be said for a non-heal traited RK) and relies on the ally pet to buff its damage etc. I guess you could consider rune-stones like a "pet rock"? Wardens will certainly be more "tanky" and you might find that you are a little squishy to start off as an RK, but both are well worth it.
Thanks. Will keep that in mind. Thinking of joining Gladden. Maybe you'll see me around when I'm in-game.

Back