Loot is random.

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Yes I know what you said but there was no point in quoting all of it.

Anyways, glad we cleared this out :D

I have no way of knowing what exactly you learned and took from my responses but I shall leave you with something to add to your collection of knowledge.

A pirate is having quite an off week looting. The pirate can't seem to get out of their looting drought. They decide to put on some nice new clothes to feel better. With their new clothes in hand they go back to looting. Skull chest after skull chest drops. All of a sudden their inventory is littered with famed weapons! They stand back and say, wow! I could not have done this if I had not put on these lucky clothes! After a day or so the loot dies down and the pirate thinks, hmmm I wonder if I should change clothes again, maybe these are all drained of luck. The pirate keeps repeating this cycle. He credits all the famed he gets to changing his clothes when loot gets bad. He now believes with absolute certainty that his luck goes up after he puts on some new clothes. Sure, some days are still bad. He overlooks them. Maybe he is just having an off day that chance didn't work in his favor. He still believes it works. He thinks back to all the famed he ever got since he used that method. And he "knows" it is true.

Well, have fun with that short story. Appreciate all your responses. :D

*facepalm*

This has nothing to do with what I posted and what I believe. Fyi, I'm already aware of this happening so your story was kinda boring.

Not gonna get involved and answer any further.

*facepalm*

This has nothing to do with what I posted and what I believe. Fyi, I'm already aware of this happening so your story was kinda boring.

Not gonna get involved and answer any further.

Glad you enjoyed the story. It was a pleasure talking to you. :p

Wow........ after that story this is not even a worthy debate. This is just sad, don't post anything more about my method please. I find it insulting.

Charles, you attempt to degrade the content I provide. I have no problem with any response you give me. I will not call you sad or unworthy of my time. I will respect every post you make and take them all seriously.

Would you finally be willing to admit that your method is not accurate if I got a real developer/programmer of POTCO to comment on the matter? Is that what you want.

You can always fall back and admit that you just "believe" it. But, if you really want to present it as factual to people then get it confirmed. I will help you do that. Sure the theory might very well be wrong. You have to accept that if it is proven wrong. Holding on to something that isn't true is a complete stop to your progress.

You are insulted by how I treat your theory. That is fine. I still respect you and your theory. But, if they don't stand up to scrutiny then what is your theory really?

I'd like to warn anyone and everyone who responds to this thread that they need to watch what and how they say things. Drama is not allowed in this forums. This discussion is very much an interesting one. However, please make sure your statements do not sound like they are being rude or uppity toward anyone.

Now, that being said, I'm gonna add my two cents.

I have been playing this game for over 5 years. I can remember when loot drops were a random thing. I got my first one about a year after I started playing, maybe a bit earlier. God awful ugly green shirt! Yuck! Anyway, that was when all enemies died the same and respawned the same and loot dropped once upon a blue moon.

Then they started making all enemies drop loot almost every time they died. Gold, weapons, clothes... Loot drops are no longer random. PATTERNS became prevalent in the drops according to location and what weapons used and enemies defeated. We can see this with Darkhart. He drops the most gold. And as Charles said, when you use a certain type of ammo (bane, asp, steel, etc) those drop a lot. I've also noticed that tonics tend to fall more when you use them more. These are patterns. Which then means that the developers did set up some kind of coding for drops according to the enemies... to a point. If you remember correctly, when they added Raven's Cove quest, they added cursed blades. Those are only found on two islands, Raven's and Tormenta. This helps to prove that there are codes in the game for those types of weapon drops.

As far as the email to POTCO. You will never talk with a Dev through their "Contact Us" on the POTCO site. You will have to find out how to contact a Dev personally outside of the POTCO site. Good luck getting that info. I personally have no idea how. If the "Call Center" as Irene called it, gives you an answer, its always better to take it with a grain of salt. They don't know anymore about this game than we do as players. Their job is to gather info from us, whether reporting a player, getting a bug report from us to pass on or to answer basic game questions. Development issues is not basic game information.

As far as methods go... Well, they are what they are. Guides. They exist for any type of game for any type of reason. Each player experiences the game differently... to a point. VARIABLES exist in all games for everyone. In POTCO, I have one pirate, my first created pirate, who has found the most famed. My main pirate has found the most cursed. A method will not work for everyone the same way. Variables effect all pirates (locations, weapons used, time of day, server, drops) differently. Its our place to try out the methods or not, to see how each variable effects our looting. And yes, persistence is the most important part of it.

So, to sum it up... Loot drops are not random, they use to be when first started this game. What is in side them... well, there is no yes or no answer to that. What weapons and clothes drop, that is random to a point. But go to Darkhart if you need gold. Go to Tormenta if you're looking for cursed (drops more there than in Raven's). Go to Foulberto if you want to expand your dagger collection. And happy piratin'.

I'd like to warn anyone and everyone who responds to this thread that they need to watch what and how they say things. Drama is not allowed in this forums. This discussion is very much an interesting one. However, please make sure your statements do not sound like they are being rude or uppity toward anyone.

Now, that being said, I'm gonna add my two cents.

I have been playing this game for over 5 years. I can remember when loot drops were a random thing. I got my first one about a year after I started playing, maybe a bit earlier. God awful ugly green shirt! Yuck! Anyway, that was when all enemies died the same and respawned the same and loot dropped once upon a blue moon.

Then they started making all enemies drop loot almost every time they died. Gold, weapons, clothes... Loot drops are no longer random. PATTERNS became prevalent in the drops according to location and what weapons used and enemies defeated. We can see this with Darkhart. He drops the most gold. And as Charles said, when you use a certain type of ammo (bane, asp, steel, etc) those drop a lot. I've also noticed that tonics tend to fall more when you use them more. These are patterns. Which then means that the developers did set up some kind of coding for drops according to the enemies... to a point. If you remember correctly, when they added Raven's Cove quest, they added cursed blades. Those are only found on two islands, Raven's and Tormenta. This helps to prove that there are codes in the game for those types of weapon drops.

As far as the email to POTCO. You will never talk with a Dev through their "Contact Us" on the POTCO site. You will have to find out how to contact a Dev personally outside of the POTCO site. Good luck getting that info. I personally have no idea how. If the "Call Center" as Irene called it, gives you an answer, its always better to take it with a grain of salt. They don't know anymore about this game than we do as players. Their job is to gather info from us, whether reporting a player, getting a bug report from us to pass on or to answer basic game questions. Development issues is not basic game information.

As far as methods go... Well, they are what they are. Guides. They exist for any type of game for any type of reason. Each player experiences the game differently... to a point. VARIABLES exist in all games for everyone. In POTCO, I have one pirate, my first created pirate, who has found the most famed. My main pirate has found the most cursed. A method will not work for everyone the same way. Variables effect all pirates (locations, weapons used, time of day, server, drops) differently. Its our place to try out the methods or not, to see how each variable effects our looting. And yes, persistence is the most important part of it.

So, to sum it up... Loot drops are not random, they use to be when first started this game. What is in side them... well, there is no yes or no answer to that. What weapons and clothes drop, that is random to a point. But go to Darkhart if you need gold. Go to Tormenta if you're looking for cursed (drops more there than in Raven's). Go to Foulberto if you want to expand your dagger collection. And happy piratin'.

Yes and no. Loot is still random. Loot is going to be better at higher enemies and bosses will give more gold in their loot than other enemies. They wouldn't want gravediggers throwing out skulls willy nilly XD. If you are out of a certain ammo you are likely to find it in your loot. If you have a low level on a certain weapon you are not likely to find a high level weapon of it's category in your loot. The loot itself is still random. The variable involved is being at the right place at the right time.Also, just to clear this up. What it means by random is this. It is not random along the lines of anything is possible. You are not going to find a block of cheese or a pizza in your loot. Why? Because, the developers did not program that to be a possible item to loot. Certain areas in game will have a different assortment of loot. They intentionally limited cursed weapons to Isla Tormenta and Raven's Cove. So, they have shown they have that power. It is random along the lines of the enemy that is dropping it. Different enemies have a different range of weapons they have the likelihood to drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, all this discussing/arguing has got me to thinking on an idea here. I'm very curious as to how the patters fall in this game. We know some exist (Darkhart drops a ton of gold, Foulberto only drops daggers) but how do they work with the Bosses? Since LD says that Bosses give more gold and higher enemies give better loot, lets try something.

I wonder who all would be game for this?

We need several people who are interested and willing to participate. We need to decide how long we'll do this, and how much time fighting each day or night at each boss we're gonna spend. We also need to decide to do this on only one server. Everyone stick to the same server. Keep tally of what drops in each loot drop. I dont think time of day will matter too much. It'd be hard to get all of us to log in the exact time each day anyway.

What do you guys think? You game?

P.S.
I NEED sleep. I'll check this in the morning. :)

Ok, all this discussing/arguing has got me to thinking on an idea here. I'm very curious as to how the patters fall in this game. We know some exist (Darkhart drops a ton of gold, Foulberto only drops daggers) but how do they work with the Bosses? Since LD says that Bosses give more gold and higher enemies give better loot, lets try something.

We need several people who are interested and willing to participate. We need to decide how long we'll do this, and how much time fighting each day or night at each boss we're gonna spend. We also need to decide to do this on only one server. Everyone stick to the same server. Keep tally of what drops in each loot drop. I dont think time of day will matter too much. It'd be hard to get all of us to log in the exact time each day anyway.

We would need a HUGE amount of participants in order to find a good average to go off of to determine a pattern of likelihood in weapon drops. If we can get a few large guilds together that would work best.

P.S.
I NEED sleep. I'll check this in the morning. :)

I'm in and I'll keep checking if you make a post for that :)

I also need to sleep. I am kind of going in zombie looting mode now. I will continue to do so for a while longer. Not really enough energy to keep responding so quickly to this thread right now. Pause till morning. Agreed.

We would need a HUGE amount of participants in order to find a good average to go off of to determine a pattern of likelihood in weapon drops. If we can get a few large guilds together that would work best.

I dont know if we'd need whole guilds or a few guilds or not. If we just did this with only bosses, to see how the patterns for those bosses fall, then we'd only need enough people to cover each boss. We'd of course leave Foulberto out due to the fact that he ONLY drops daggers and nothing with the daggers. I'm not wanting to tally up what enemies around those bosses drop, just the bosses. This would also eliminate most of the islands. We would also eliminate random bosses and only loot at those that pop up same spot each time they spawn.

I'll get the list of bosses posted here tomorrow sometime, unless someone else beats me to it.

I dont know if we'd need whole guilds or a few guilds or not. If we just did this with only bosses, to see how the patterns for those bosses fall, then we'd only need enough people to cover each boss. We'd of course leave Foulberto out due to the fact that he ONLY drops daggers and nothing with the daggers. I'm not wanting to tally up what enemies around those bosses drop, just the bosses. This would also eliminate most of the islands. We would also eliminate random bosses and only loot at those that pop up same spot each time they spawn.

I'll get the list of bosses posted here tomorrow sometime, unless someone else beats me to it.

Please no more responses till a few hours later please XD. Too tempted to respond. Anyways, we need a lot of people because if a lot of people involved get a large amount of famed and even legendary in a short amount of time it will only prove that they are lucky. If we do it with a smaller amount of people it will have to be a long study.

Here is what I'm thinking on the tallying. We tally how many times gold falls, how many times a trinket/treasure falls (teeth, rings, trinkets, menagerie), how many times ammo falls, how many times tonic falls, how many times weapons fall and how many times there was no drop.

I'm wanting to look for patterns in the bosses drops, not necessarily what type of weapons or how much gold. Wanting to see which boss drops more gold (not more as in amount, but how often), which drops more weapons, which drops more trinkets/treasure, etc.

If this test is successful, then after we can talk about testing the weapon drops individually at the bosses. And I've got an idea on that as well, if we decide to do that later on.

This "project" or "test" if you will, will be done on the permanent bosses only. Those are the bosses that stay put and only respawn in the same location.

Here is the wiki link: http://piratesonline.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Permanent_Bosses

Here is the list with island location:
Bonerattler: Catacombs of Padres del Fuego
Claude D'Arcis: Thievesden of Tortuga
Croquettes de Crabe: Isla Cangrejos
Devil Root: Outcast Isle
Dreadtooth: El Sudoron of Padres del Fuego
Foulberto Smasho: Cave of Lost Souls of Raven's Cove *
General Bloodless: Murky Hollow of Port Royal
General Darkhart: Las Pulgas of Padres del Fuego
General Hex: Misty Mire of Tortuga
General Sandspine: Rats Next of Tortuga
Hardtack: Tortuga Graveyard of Tortuga
Hive Queen: Queen's Nest of Isla Perdida
Jaques le Blanc: Isla Cangrejos
Malicioso: Wild Woods of Tortuga
Neban the Silent: Beckett's Quarry of Padres del Fuego
Remington the Vicious: Kingshead
Samuel: Beckett's Quarry of Padres del Fuego
Scatter Snap: Isla Cangrejos
Thomas Blanco: Cutthroat Isle
Undead Timothy Dartan: Las Pulgas of Padres del Fuego
Venom Lash: Rumrunner's Isle

*Foulberto Smasho will not be used in this project due to the fact that he only drops daggers and throwing knives.

So, we will need at least 20 people to do this. 40 if we include healers. We need to decide on that. I do not want people going and taking on bosses bigger than them and then getting ko'd.

We also need to decide on how long we will spend each day with these bosses, as well as how long this project will run. I need some thoughts on to the length of this project. I was considering 2 hours each day for a month to get a more accurate tally, however we've got school starting soon here (Aug 19) so I know that some of us will not be able to stick it out for a month. It would be easier for me to do this after my kids go back, but not all of us are stay at home parents. :p

To sum it up:
We need 20 fighters (possibly 20 healers also). Bosses will be assigned to each player based upon their notoriety level. Lower level pirates can spend their time with lower level bosses, higher level with higher level bosses. Fight the boss 2 hours a day for X number of days. (Still to be finalized) Tally the loot drops according to the following: How many times gold drops; How many times tonic drops; How many times trinkets/treasure drops; How many times weapons drop; and How many times there was no loot drop. Remember we're looking for any type of a pattern in the drops for each boss. ex: Foulberto Smasho drops only daggers and throwing knives.

I'm ready for input/questions on this idea.

This "project" or "test" if you will, will be done on the permanent bosses only. Those are the bosses that stay put and only respawn in the same location.

Here is the wiki link: http://piratesonline.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Permanent_Bosses

Here is the list with island location:
Bonerattler: Catacombs of Padres del Fuego
Claude D'Arcis: Thievesden of Tortuga
Croquettes de Crabe: Isla Cangrejos
Devil Root: Outcast Isle
Dreadtooth: El Sudoron of Padres del Fuego
Foulberto Smasho: Cave of Lost Souls of Raven's Cove *
General Bloodless: Murky Hollow of Port Royal
General Darkhart: Las Pulgas of Padres del Fuego
General Hex: Misty Mire of Tortuga
General Sandspine: Rats Next of Tortuga
Hardtack: Tortuga Graveyard of Tortuga
Hive Queen: Queen's Nest of Isla Perdida
Jaques le Blanc: Isla Cangrejos
Malicioso: Wild Woods of Tortuga
Neban the Silent: Beckett's Quarry of Padres del Fuego
Remington the Vicious: Kingshead
Samuel: Beckett's Quarry of Padres del Fuego
Scatter Snap: Isla Cangrejos
Thomas Blanco: Cutthroat Isle
Undead Timothy Dartan: Las Pulgas of Padres del Fuego
Venom Lash: Rumrunner's Isle

*Foulberto Smasho will not be used in this project due to the fact that he only drops daggers and throwing knives.

So, we will need at least 20 people to do this. 40 if we include healers. We need to decide on that. I do not want people going and taking on bosses bigger than them and then getting ko'd.

We also need to decide on how long we will spend each day with these bosses, as well as how long this project will run. I need some thoughts on to the length of this project. I was considering 2 hours each day for a month to get a more accurate tally, however we've got school starting soon here (Aug 19) so I know that some of us will not be able to stick it out for a month. It would be easier for me to do this after my kids go back, but not all of us are stay at home parents. :p

To sum it up:
We need 20 fighters (possibly 20 healers also). Bosses will be assigned to each player based upon their notoriety level. Lower level pirates can spend their time with lower level bosses, higher level with higher level bosses. Fight the boss 2 hours a day for X number of days. (Still to be finalized) Tally the loot drops according to the following: How many times gold drops; How many times tonic drops; How many times trinkets/treasure drops; How many times weapons drop; and How many times there was no loot drop. Remember we're looking for any type of a pattern in the drops for each boss. ex: Foulberto Smasho drops only daggers and throwing knives.

I'm ready for input/questions on this idea.

Well, the most time efficient course of action is still just to find a developer and get them to confirm or deny a way which loot works. And why.

Well, the most time efficient course of action is still just to find a developer and get them to confirm or deny a way which loot works. And why.

Do that if you want, but I'm interested in hands on research. It will let us know what kind of pattern may exist in the bosses, or if Foulberto and his daggers and the fact that Darkhart drops more gold are just flukes. I really believe that if those two bosses have a pattern for their loot drops, then there may be others as well.

Also, has anyone actually complied any data from their looting at bosses? I doubt it. It may be on the wiki, it may not be, but this would give us data that we could look at, that all pirates could look at, if they are curious. It may help others to determine how they would like to spend a night looting or decide to plunder instead.

Please see if you can find a Dev to talk to about this. But not all Devs are the same, not all of them work on the same parts of the game.

Again, the point of this project is not to prove you or Charles right in your theories/beliefs about looting. Its to see if there are other patterns like those that exist with Foulberto and Darkhart.

Once I finalize this idea of mine, and IF I get enough people interested in it, then I'll start a new topic just for this project. If I dont get enough interested in this, then I'll do it all on my own. I'd post the results here of course and also on the wiki.

I do not think your experiment will yield any usable results. It will yield different results every time it is done. An experiment should yield the same results to anyone who repeats it with the same conditions you used.

Finding a pattern in loot is the equivalent of finding a pattern in an irrational number. It is random.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back