Request Make Grenades Move Through Players

Make Grenades Move Through Players

• Yes

Votes: 38 86.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Disney probably did this to make leveling grenades harder just like when you throw a grenade at an enemy up close you'll take damage so it's harder to level if that enemy comes towards you

Disney probably did this to make leveling grenades harder just like when you throw a grenade at an enemy up close you'll take damage so it's harder to level if that enemy comes towards you
Well, I don't see why they would choose to make one weapon in particular harder to level than the others.

I just think it's annoying when people walk in front of your grenade. The realism in this pirates fantasy game is not the issue I'm trying to address here. I feel this would make the game much more fun, especially when looting in groups.

I just think it's annoying when people walk in front of your grenade. The realism in this pirates fantasy game is not the issue I'm trying to address here. I feel this would make the game much more fun, especially when looting in groups.
I agree it's annoying. However, grenades passing right through bodies would just be another thing that bugs me about this game. If grenades worked properly, then we would be able to lob them over crowds and right onto enemies, but as they are now, if they hit other players, they do no damage. Would you agree that this would be a good fix?

If grenades worked properly, then we would be able to lob them over crowds and right onto enemies, but as they are now, if they hit other players, they do no damage. Would you agree that this would be a good fix?
You technically can make it an arc as it is now, but people mostly just hold the button to launch the grenade straight onto the enemy, so I don't feel our fix should be to change how grenades fundamentally work. This seems way to complex for such a simple problem. Rather, I think that we should directly address the problem at hand by letting them pass through players.

Well, I don't see why they would choose to make one weapon in particular harder to level than the others.
I don't know I mean there is a lot of strange things in this game like for example if you glitch through the trees near the pantona river entrance you'll see a huge rock randomly there

You technically can make it an arc as it is now, but people mostly just hold the button to launch the grenade straight onto the enemy, so I don't feel our fix should be to change how grenades fundamentally work. This seems way to complex for such a simple problem. Rather, I think that we should directly address the problem at hand by letting them pass through players.
My proposition isn't to let players throw grenades in arcs; it's to make it so that grenades are certain to do damage in those arcs. Most people do that because it's a weird game mechanic that they can take advantage of. If my fix is implemented, then many people will just make a small adjustment to their playing styles and finally utilize a neglected mechanic, grenade trajectories. I can argue that making grenades pass through solid objects is more of a fundamental change than making grenade explosions actually do damage when they should.

My proposition isn't to let players throw grenades in arcs; it's to make it so that grenades are certain to do damage in those arcs. Most people do that because it's a weird game mechanic that they can take advantage of. If my fix is implemented, then many people will just make a small adjustment to their playing styles and finally utilize a neglected mechanic, grenade trajectories. I can argue that making grenades pass through solid objects is more of a fundamental change than making grenade explosions actually do damage when they should.
I'm sort of confused on what this mechanic would entail. Would it be similar to how gun works where you click on an enemy and the grenade flies automatically in an arc to the enemy? Do you mean that they grenades would do damage to the enemy even if it hits a player?

I'm sort of confused on what this mechanic would entail. Would it be similar to how gun works where you click on an enemy and the grenade flies automatically in an arc to the enemy? Do you mean that they grenades would do damage to the enemy even if it hits a player?
I apologize if I haven't been clear enough. As they are now, grenade explosions do damage to enemies if the grenades impact the enemies themselves or solid surfaces close enough to the enemies, but they do not do damage if they impact other players. This is problematic because players often gather tightly around enemies while fighting, making it very likely for grenades to impact the players rather than the enemies or the ground, thereby decreasing the chance to damage the enemies. My suggestion is simply to make grenade explosions do damage to enemies no matter the impact surface, including players.

My suggestion is simply to make grenade explosions do damage to enemies no matter the impact surface, including players.
Someone has suggested a similar solution. The only problem is when people inadvertently get in your way when they are a distance away from the enemy. This has happened to me more often than not. By allowing grenades to go through players, it would solve the problem in all regards.

Someone has suggested a similar solution. The only problem is when people inadvertently get in your way when they are a distance away from the enemy. This has happened to me more often than not. By allowing grenades to go through players, it would solve the problem in all regards.
Be careful not to adopt the attitude of changing mechanics just to make things more convenient. Along those lines, why not just let players run through walls so that they can just run in straight lines to their destinations? Or why not let players teleport wherever they want? Or why not give bosses low health to make farming faster? These "solutions" are clearly bad ideas, but they are meant to solve certain "problems" in the game. What makes your "problem" a real problem and not these "problems" real problems?

It comes down to good game design. I think that making explosions consistent in when they damage enemies and when they don't is good game design because it makes sense, it forces players to fight more creatively (and cooperatively), it puts a generally useless mechanic (the trajectory of grenades) into use, and it doesn't reduce combat effectiveness relative to your idea. I don't think that letting objects pass through other objects just for the sake of convenience in a particular respect is good game design.

Be careful not to adopt the attitude of changing mechanics just to make things more convenient. Along those lines, why not just let players run through walls so that they can just run in straight lines to their destinations? Or why not let players teleport wherever they want? Or why not give bosses low health to make farming faster? These "solutions" are clearly bad ideas, but they are meant to solve certain "problems" in the game. What makes your "problem" a real problem and not these "problems" real problems?

These examples you bring up don't really compare to the solution I am proposing. Your examples are ridiculous, and would negate the purpose of the game as a whole. What I feel my solution would do is make an aspect of the game much more enjoyable by removing an annoyance from the game. That's what I'm really trying to get at here; that the randomness of players blocking grenades makes the game less enjoyable. The examples you provide aren't "fixing" an annoying aspect of the game, they're removing an aspect game play. The challenge of defeating a difficult boss and the time it takes to traverse a map adds to the game play and can lead to an enjoyable experience. The inclusion of grenade-to-player collision, while it does make realistic sense, does not add to the gaming experience.

It comes down to good game design. I think that making explosions consistent in when they damage enemies and when they don't is good game design because it makes sense, it forces players to fight more creatively (and cooperatively), it puts a generally useless mechanic (the trajectory of grenades) into use, and it doesn't reduce combat effectiveness relative to your idea. I don't think that letting objects pass through other objects just for the sake of convenience in a particular respect is good game design.

I completely understand your perspective here. I do agree that it is much better game design for players to work together and coordinate attacks, but I feel that in this game specifically, doing so can be rather challenging. In a looting group full of strangers, for example, it can be nearly impossible to get everyone to work together and agree on a plan of attack. I can easily tell people "I'm using grenade, please try to stay out of my line of fire", but not everyone may listen, and mistakes are bound to happen. As I've been saying, a much simpler solution would to simply let the grenades clip through players. While yes, this most directly makes the game more convenient -- which you feel is bad game design -- I believe keeping in this annoying feature and forcing players to change their play style to work together and coordinate would be a much larger inconvenience and hindrance to enjoyment. The positives of my proposal would outweigh the subjective negatives that you have brought up, with my solution not being nearly as intrusive and game-changing as your proposal.

I apologize if I haven't been clear enough. As they are now, grenade explosions do damage to enemies if the grenades impact the enemies themselves or solid surfaces close enough to the enemies, but they do not do damage if they impact other players. This is problematic because players often gather tightly around enemies while fighting, making it very likely for grenades to impact the players rather than the enemies or the ground, thereby decreasing the chance to damage the enemies. My suggestion is simply to make grenade explosions do damage to enemies no matter the impact surface, including players.
Grenades always damage an enemy if it is in the grenades area of effect. It doesn't matter who or what is there. Test it. If your grenade hit someone and didn't do damage, then that object was not within the grenades effective range toward the target itself.
You throw into a tight crowd around a boss, your grenade is doing damage, but also how you set your points. Maxing area of effect gives you a larger damage range.

Grenades always damage an enemy if it is in the grenades area of effect. It doesn't matter who or what is there. Test it. If your grenade hit someone and didn't do damage, then that object was not within the grenades effective range toward the target itself.
You throw into a tight crowd around a boss, your grenade is doing damage, but also how you set your points. Maxing area of effect gives you a larger damage range.
That would make sense, but I have tested it (when I made my posts), and I have found that hitting a player, even one who is right next to a boss, eliminates all damage, both to the boss and to myself.

Grenades can/have been used though (against other players) in the form of harassment or bullying. *In this way, grenades have a purpose to which Disney failed to understand about POTCO. That purpose includes the below scenario to which I am HIGHLY in agreement with what this thread is asking. ;)
  • Abassa Tortuga is packed!
  • Two or more pirates don’t get along (or, everyone including the pirate with the ‘nades are all complete strangers)
  • The pirate with the ‘nades decides to use them (sometimes throwing them directly at someone)
  • Players become irritated and the whole atmosphere is disrupted
  • The pirate throwing the ‘nades is happy
Why was this game functionality (problem) allowed to exist???
As Jack would say They "shouldn't go flappin those things around now Mate" ;)

That would make sense, but I have tested it (when I made my posts), and I have found that hitting a player, even one who is right next to a boss, eliminates all damage, both to the boss and to myself.
I disagree. Never seen it fail. But then again, no one knows how to correctly interpret all the pretty numbers popping up anyhow.
Only that I've done it with one pirate in the way and over 12 in the way.
GL

That's the problem I have. That's one of the main reasons I proposed this in the first place.

Back