Question Making inactive, obscure guild names available again

Kelly Blackdog

Buccaneer
Hi all, I'm wondering if it's possible to release a guild name for active use if there is no activity after an extended period of time? I wanted to create my very first guild and, apparently, the name is already is use. However, I have NEVER seen nor heard of my desired guild name in game before (neither in potco nor tlopo), and there’s no mention of it in a search of the forums. So I wonder, if a guild is created and the gm/members never really played, could the guild be disbanded and the name made available again? Do you all think this is a good idea and at what point would it be fair to disband a completely inactive guild to make the name available? The scenario I’m thinking is zero activity for minimum of a couple years and an active player who would like to adopt the guild name. The guild name I’d like to use is not mentioned at all on the forums.

Last edited:
Hmm... not too sure about this. My first thought is no. I feel that it maybe should make a difference depending on how active and powerful the guild was in the past, names such as McRaging, Ocean Gods and Spania that were among the biggest and most powerful potco guilds should should probably not be restarted by anyone without a tie to the original but I can kinda see vacating a guild that was only a small handful of players in tlopo and now has no players that have logged on in over a year. That thought leads me to think that if such a thing were to be introduced it should be with email contact to the original GM and a time frame for response before the name becomes open. I just feel that this is bound to step on someone’s toes eventually so I’m mostly against it.

Hmm... not too sure about this. My first thought is no. I feel that it maybe should make a difference depending on how active and powerful the guild was in the past, names such as McRaging, Ocean Gods and Spania that were among the biggest and most powerful potco guilds should should probably not be restarted by anyone without a tie to the original but I can kinda see vacating a guild that was only a small handful of players in tlopo and now has no players that have logged on in over a year. That thought leads me to think that if such a thing were to be introduced it should be with email contact to the original GM and a time frame for response before the name becomes open. I just feel that this is bound to step on someone’s toes eventually so I’m mostly against it.
Thank you for your feedback, Eric! I edited my original post to clarify that I was thinking more along the lines of a totally obscure and unheard guild name. One that, as far as I can tell after searching, has never even been mentioned on the forums.
I definitely wasn’t thinking about this applying to large, established guilds from the past. Not trying to be a usurper. :)

Last edited:
Even though I'm late I think if you made the guild then you get to keep it but at the same time if it is inactive it should be a super long time before that would happen.

Back