Suggestion Map Suggestion: Enemy Types in an Area

Samuel Edgeeaston

Honorable Pirate
enemymap1.png
enemymap2.png
enemymap3.png

Another day, another suggestion.

With the newer updates to the maps now having text additions to tunnels (i.e. the new ones on Padres main isle), it's obvious now that in the interest of assisting players new and old, an addition of enemy types to the area minimap would be easy (functionally) to implement, and useful for all.

I'd rather not have to repeatedly Google enemy names to find the location of on the game's wiki--this would remove the middleman and would be good for the quality of life of the game.

The only part of this that would appear tasking to me would be the implementation of the text itself. It would seem (on the surface) that text applied onto minimaps is apart of an image, so it would simply take some manhours to do so.

This would also be a good opportunity to bring up missing location maps.. locations such as Outcast lack a map, and rather than attempting to create an artistic and accurate rendition when it may not be feasible with everything else down the pipeline, consider taking HD screencaps of areas from the sky--or importing them into a 3D software like Maya or Blender, and taking a screenshot of them, top-down & flat. This could then be recreated more pleasantly after Beta.

But, regardless, the main basis of this concept is to place enemy types present in an area, on the minimap.

View attachment 120644View attachment 120645View attachment 120646
Another day, another suggestion.

With the newer updates to the maps now having text additions to tunnels (i.e. the new ones on Padres main isle), it's obvious now that in the interest of assisting players new and old, an addition of enemy types to the area minimap would be easy (functionally) to implement, and useful for all.

I'd rather not have to repeatedly Google enemy names to find the location of on the game's wiki--this would remove the middleman and would be good for the quality of life of the game.

The only part of this that would appear tasking to me would be the implementation of the text itself. It would seem (on the surface) that text applied onto minimaps is apart of an image, so it would simply take some manhours to do so.

This would also be a good opportunity to bring up missing location maps.. locations such as Outcast lack a map, and rather than attempting to create an artistic and accurate rendition when it may not be feasible with everything else down the pipeline, consider taking HD screencaps of areas from the sky--or importing them into a 3D software like Maya or Blender, and taking a screenshot of them, top-down & flat. This could then be recreated more pleasantly after Beta.

But, regardless, the main basis of this concept is to place enemy types present in an area, on the minimap.
Always a good idea to make something a visual. However, excuse my ignorance, but I don't know what maps you're actually displaying.
Should there be an actual name of the map?
thx.

Always a good idea to make something a visual. However, excuse my ignorance, but I don't know what maps you're actually displaying.
Should there be an actual name of the map?
thx.
These are the minimaps--if you hold F8, or click the map icon on your compass, these appear

Thx, I was thinking more if I wanted to screenshot the map for later aid and the name would be on that graphic itself with the other info.

This is fair. Though the thing to remember is the name of the area you're in is actually present below the compass while you're there. The photos that @Samuel Edgeeaston used as an example are just cropped in such a way to only show the necessary assets for the suggestion.

That being said, a fantastic suggestion indeed! I think this could assist in a time like this more than any with the Ray of Light being busted. Not as a way to replace it, but something to help players around the game while we're working on a fix. After the Ray of Light has been fixed though, I could see this being a fantastic feature to use in tandem.

This is fair. Though the thing to remember is the name of the area you're in is actually present below the compass while you're there. The photos that @Samuel Edgeeaston used as an example are just cropped in such a way to only show the necessary assets for the suggestion.

That being said, a fantastic suggestion indeed! I think this could assist in a time like this more than any with the Ray of Light being busted. Not as a way to replace it, but something to help players around the game while we're working on a fix. After the Ray of Light has been fixed though, I could see this being a fantastic feature to use in tandem.
If I could note; something a bit less laborious, if this was to be accomplished in a smaller timeframe, would be just stating enemy types in an area, rather than listing all types--specifying any of the following on the map (with colours--make it a bit more charming ;)):
Skeletons - EITC - Navy - Critters - Jumbees

If I could note; something a bit less laborious, if this was to be accomplished in a smaller timeframe, would be just stating enemy types in an area, rather than listing all types--specifying any of the following on the map (with colours--make it a bit more charming ;)):
Skeletons - EITC - Navy - Critters - Jumbees

I think the idea as a secondary to the beam of light (since it is mostly unreliable) so you know where you need to be to kill a -certain- type of enemy, especially since the type+location combination is rarely listed in the quest text (because they designed the quest text around the beam of light working 100% of the time). If you reduce the map hint to just "EITC" then how is that supposed to tell you where "EITC Thugs" are? Sure you could run around checking all the places that list "EITC" but that's not really much more helpful than not having the beam of light. The last thing anyone wants to do is run around aimlessly, unable to find who or what you need to kill. Those of us who've been playing since POTCO may have some recollection of where things are, but if this game ends up growing, we're going to have new people, and such things like wandering aimlessly with no idea of where to go or what to do tends to be a HUGE turn off towards playing a new game, so I think the full list (even if it took a little longer to implement) would still be a better idea overall.

Of course, if they could 100% fix the beam of light.... none of this would even be a conversation being had, and I do think THAT should be the focus of the dev efforts, personally.

Back