Mature section but without the X-Rating?

Captn Jaq

Notorious Pirate
Since this demographic is growing up and gaining attention from adults, is it possible to have a Mature Pirate section that doesn't solicit no-no activity? Like where you can talk about stuff in a mentally mature way?

Aye, I know. DRAMA. But we're more than just gamers; we have many different aspects of our lives that dictate what we do in-game and on the forums. Could there be a compromise? Aye, maintain your guidelines -- Zero tolerance, etc -- but have the corrective measures weigh heavier if you screw up in the Mature Matey/Aged Rum section.

Since we'd be given the privilege to discuss controversial topics maturely, we have more to lose if reprimanded.

Last edited:
While it is evident that the community has aged considerably, keep in mind there is a difference between wisdom/maturity and age. Wisdom and maturity do not directly correlate with age.

With this being said, our new forum rules are definitely going to lower the barriers a bit. With NSFW tagging and a toggle for the language filter, members will be able to take full control of what they'd prefer to view while on the forums. Our bars on controversial topics such as religion and politics will continue to stand, however.

I recognize that there are many members on the forums that would be able to respectfully participate in these topics, but the risk of drama would still be too high. Therefore, it has been encouraged in the past to seek out different communities if you wish to discuss topics of this nature. Pirates Forums is not the place for them, unfortunately.

While it is evident that the community has aged considerably, keep in mind there is a difference between wisdom/maturity and age. Wisdom and maturity do not directly correlate with age.

With this being said, our new forum rules are definitely going to lower the barriers a bit. With NSFW tagging and a toggle for the language filter, members will be able to take full control of what they'd prefer to view while on the forums. Our bars on controversial topics such as religion and politics will continue to stand, however.

I recognize that there are many members on the forums that would be able to respectfully participate in these topics, but the risk of drama would still be too high. Therefore, it has been encouraged in the past to seek out different communities if you wish to discuss topics of this nature. Pirates Forums is not the place for them, unfortunately.
Wait...

Are you saying that we will be able to curse soon?

Since this demographic is growing up and gaining attention from adults, is it possible to have a Mature Pirate section that doesn't solicit no-no activity? Like where you can talk about stuff in a mentally mature way?

Aye, I know. DRAMA. But we're more than just gamers; we have many different aspects of our lives that dictate what we do in-game and on the forums. Could there be a compromise? Aye, maintain your guidelines -- Zero tolerance, etc -- but have the corrective measures weigh heavier if you screw up in the Mature Matey/Aged Rum section.

Since we'd be given the privilege to discuss controversial topics maturely, we have more to lose if reprimanded.
I'd be for a forum board perhaps hidden or password required. While, it is not my decision to make, I think there is enough of us to where we can have a forum board(s) hidden from public view that are only accessible by mature/older members. A system I'd propose in keeping these hidden boards drama free as well, but veers more into these... "taboo" topics (No no! Nothing illegal!) Possibly a recommendation from a member on the board and approval by a staff member/administrator.

If the staff was willing (it is their choice to act on this or not) I am sure there is a way a hidden section for the matured/aged rum folk to be able to have these topics discussed in a respectable manner. I'd even dare suggest because it is hidden that any actions that endanger the well being of the hidden forums would receive harsher punishment since it is not the entire point of the site.

Yes, just not excessively. It needs to stay within our filters as well (to respect those who wish to have the language filter toggled ON).

We should be posting a draft of the revised rules soon. Everyone will be able to see them and comment on them before they take full effect.
Disappointing. I personally really appreciate a forums where you aren't allowed to swear like a sailor (ironic given the theme of these forums, I guess). I vastly prefer mature discussions where you don't resort to vulgarity to express your thoughts, and I liked that this was one of those few forums that appreciated this enough to restrict its users. But, majority rules, I guess.

Disappointing. I personally really appreciate a forums where you aren't allowed to swear like a sailor (ironic given the theme of these forums, I guess). I vastly prefer mature discussions where you don't resort to vulgarity to express your thoughts, and I liked that this was one of those few forums that appreciated this enough to restrict its users. But, majority rules, I guess.
That post is a bit old, we've since reversed this decision: https://piratesforums.co/threads/rule-revisions.12806/#post-190882

That post is a bit old, we've since reversed this decision: https://piratesforums.co/threads/rule-revisions.12806/#post-190882
I am curious, despite the reversal would you consider an alternative solution.compromise? I am sure while there is a portion that did want the reversal, there were any others who are respectable people who would have preferred there wasn't a reversal. This compromise obviously made with the understanding that it is something both sides may agree to.

*Changes Birthday*
*Makes new account that is 999 years old*
YAAAAAAY!!! M-RATED STUFF!!

But seriously, I actually prefer that the cursing be set to 0, no compromises...
If I want discussions where the B, F, C, A, D, and all the other words are used like commas, I can go play COD or CS:GO and turn voice chat on :laugh:. Like @Dreadful, I also like forums where you can discuss topics without cussing like a sailor, after all we are talking about a pirate game that was originally rated E10+, why make the forums rated T or M all of the sudden?

EDIT: Also, I can't name one way I can use a curse word and make it sound non-vulgar.

*Changes Birthday*
*Makes new account that is 999 years old*
YAAAAAAY!!! M-RATED STUFF!!

But seriously, I actually prefer that the cursing be set to 0, no compromises...
If I want discussions where the B, F, C, A, D, and all the other words are used like commas, I can go play COD or CS:GO and turn voice chat on :laugh:. Like @Dreadful, I also like forums where you can discuss topics without cussing like a sailor, after all we are talking about a pirate game that was originally rated E10+, why make the forums rated T or M all of the sudden?

EDIT: Also, I can't name one way I can use a curse word and make it sound non-vulgar.
Yes it was originally made for E10+, but that doesn't mean in present day everyone is at least for one. If I understand correctly most sites require you to be at least 13 years old to register an account anyways (Wikia, Facebook, etc.)

And even so, a compromise in mind would likely be hidden away from immediate viewing if at all. I know there is a mechanism in which the staff can create hidden forum boards that only specific people can view. A board(s) can be made as a compromise for mature, proven individuals. I think we should be open minded to this because there is much larger population of this game that is much mature people. I agree that this stuff shouldn't be out in the open, but that shouldn't automatically force some mature individuals to not be able to get even the slightest compromise.

Personally if a compromise were in order, I'd see it out like so:
An initial inagural hidden forum board for mature discussions in which only specific members can view. These members would likely be able to see them through staff recognition of their ability to sustain/handle mature discussions. Staff could possibly determine this by the recommendation of someone else who can view the board, "an interview" like process, or other various ways to be able to ensure that these people are able to see this. Granted, just because it will be ultra hidden does not by any means sanction the utmost inappropriate content, but it would at least allow some who are able to speak maturely, discuss so with people here and out of the view of most people.

I don't think we should be so quick and eager to discard compromise. It should be at least considered and heard out.

It is... what it is.
If I end up around kids I just move on and play my own game. What's the need to talk "mature" anyway? You're an adult. Figure it out. I just want to PLAY.

i can personally relate because when i first joined the forums i stumbled upon a thread concerning a certain someone ( not pointing fingers) ehemm, now in the thread i posted can we all just stop the ( crap) i'm going to use crap as a cover for the acronym because last time i said crap my post was edited and we all know which crap i really mean, now please if any staff edit this post because it contains the letters crap please note i am simply agreeing that YES i feel we should have a section for mature audiences the community in my opinion at least 50 % are not kids any more, i feel its time the demographic shifts a little bit to Acomodate this

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a point can be made without dropping an fbomb or that bomb or any bomb (unless your dropping an exploding bomb on a juggernaut) keep it like it is.

I am curious, despite the reversal would you consider an alternative solution.compromise? I am sure while there is a portion that did want the reversal, there were any others who are respectable people who would have preferred there wasn't a reversal. This compromise obviously made with the understanding that it is something both sides may agree to.

Yes it was originally made for E10+, but that doesn't mean in present day everyone is at least for one. If I understand correctly most sites require you to be at least 13 years old to register an account anyways (Wikia, Facebook, etc.)

And even so, a compromise in mind would likely be hidden away from immediate viewing if at all. I know there is a mechanism in which the staff can create hidden forum boards that only specific people can view. A board(s) can be made as a compromise for mature, proven individuals. I think we should be open minded to this because there is much larger population of this game that is much mature people. I agree that this stuff shouldn't be out in the open, but that shouldn't automatically force some mature individuals to not be able to get even the slightest compromise.

Personally if a compromise were in order, I'd see it out like so:
An initial inagural hidden forum board for mature discussions in which only specific members can view. These members would likely be able to see them through staff recognition of their ability to sustain/handle mature discussions. Staff could possibly determine this by the recommendation of someone else who can view the board, "an interview" like process, or other various ways to be able to ensure that these people are able to see this. Granted, just because it will be ultra hidden does not by any means sanction the utmost inappropriate content, but it would at least allow some who are able to speak maturely, discuss so with people here and out of the view of most people.

I don't think we should be so quick and eager to discard compromise. It should be at least considered and heard out.

@Davy Darkrage What would be your thoughts on this?

Back