Discussion May 26th, Dead man tell no tales....

On a separate note: I woulds love to see a timeline of events for all the movies. It would just put things in better perspective.
Timeline, you say? There's a timeline right over here, thanks to the lads at Pirates Wiki. Dead Men Tell No Tales seems to have developed a lot of confusion with the timeline as certain things said in the movie, the novelization, or by one of the cast/directors/producers do not line up well, which they are trying to figure out by discussing it on the talk page.

Timeline, you say? There's a timeline right over here, thanks to the lads at Pirates Wiki. Dead Men Tell No Tales seems to have developed a lot of confusion with the timeline as certain things said in the movie, the novelization, or by one of the cast/directors/producers do not line up well, which they are trying to figure out by discussing it on the talk page.
I meant a timeline more specific to the events in just the movies. And mostly just wanted to see how On Stranger Tides and the beginning of Dead Men Tell no Tales fits into the gap between At World's End and the rest of Dead Men Tell no Tales.

I meant a timeline more specific to the events in just the movies. And mostly just wanted to see how On Stranger Tides and the beginning of Dead Men Tell no Tales fits into the gap between At World's End and the rest of Dead Men Tell no Tales.
Well, I'm sure that page consists of what you want once you read through all of it. There's a whole a lot more to the timeline than just the films. For example, The Price of Freedom is a book that tells the story of Jack Sparrow's teenage years when he once worked for the EITC under Cutler Beckett before being branded as a pirate. If you're still unsatisfied with this timeline, perhaps try looking up a different one.

I'm just gonna go ahead and rank it, because I'm shocked at how many people dislike the fourth movie.

1. Curse of the Black Pearl
2. On Stranger Tides
3. Dead Man's Chest
4. Dead Men Tell No Tales
5. At World's End
I may totally disagree with putting At World's End on the bottom, but I appreciate your very rare opinion of On Stranger Tides. I do not at all dislike the 4th one, I just like the others better. Your opinion just shows how much the fanbase for this franchise can differ while all still loving the same collection of 5 movies.

I may totally disagree with putting At World's End on the bottom, but I appreciate your very rare opinion of On Stranger Tides. I do not at all dislike the 4th one, I just like the others better. Your opinion just shows how much the fanbase for this franchise can differ while all still loving the same collection of 5 movies.
I agree with you there. Personally, I felt that At World's End was too long and too convoluted. And there was way too much Jack. The hallucinations were absurd.

Even so, they could keep pumping these movies out for decades and I wouldn't complain (at least too much) because even the worst Pirates movie is still a good movie. I don't think that it matters how bad they could get. The Pirates franchise is so much fun.

I really enjoyed the movie, and I can't wait to go watch it again!

My film rank of the movies goes:
1. At World's End
2. Dead Man's Chest
3. The Curse of the Black Pearl
4. Dead Men Tell No Tales
5. On Stranger Tides

The new Pirates of the Caribbean Movie Dead Man Tell No Tales to me.. was amazing! It had a lot of new surprises in it that people that haven't seen it yet will love!! I was happy to see all the children all a lot of the characters getting involved into the amazing adventure! :)

My rankings:

1. Curse of the Black Pearl
2. Dead Man's Chest
3. Dead Men Tell No Tales
4. At World's End
5. On Stranger Tides

:jack:

Just saw it for the second time. There were only 2 other people in the theater, which despite my warning, they left right at the start of the credits. So I had fun being the only person in the theater after that. Also definitely cemented my ranking of the movies:
1. At World's End
2. Dead Man's Chest
4. The Curse of the Black Pearl
5. On Stranger Tides

And OMG there is a calendar in Henry's room at the beginning, once we have the ability to pause a timeline can be developed.

Contains mild spoilers
No direct events are referenced

I personally felt like the movie lacked character and meaning. There were a few “wow-inducing” scenes and two or three funny jokes - however it just doesn’t hold a candle to any of the first three movies.

As usual, the CGI was incredible and the high-octane action sequences were plenty - but this installment felt more like a no-brainer action movie than usual.

Despite its relatively long runtime, the story and characters were poorly developed and the movie was far from memorable. The short scenes and bland characters degrade from the overall depth and immersive-ness of the movie. The set design, costumes and locations are all excellent - but the rushed scenes prevent viewers from enjoying the movie to its full extent.

In my opinion, Captain Jack is portrayed as more of a side-character and it seems like Disney is shifting the focus off of Johnny Depp and directing the limelight towards the younger characters. Captain Barbossa and Jack's crews are as traitorous as ever - but the poor story does them no justice. Javier Bardem does his job and plays the role of an ordinary PG-Rated movie villain, so don't expect a No Country for Old Men like performance.

The overall story is such a cliché Hollywood story with a major (orphan) character who feels like they serve a greater purpose. As she embarks on her journey, all the pieces of the puzzle are conveniently aligned and placed so the movie can reach its as-expected ending. (Yay, good guys win, sad part)

The only interesting thing I found about the story is that it clarifies Barbossa's guilt-led relationship with Jack the monkey.

It’s like they had a checklist of elements they wanted to recreate from the first movie (eg: imitating the momentum between Will and Elizabeth through the two new characters, need to break curse to kill bad guy, enemies can't walk on land). I felt like I was rewatching the older movies with newer characters.

Also, it was sad to see the disappearance of a few old characters which I would have loved seeing again. The soundtrack is OK - the excellent main theme soundtrack paired with subpar scenes doesn't do it justice nor does it leave the long-lasting effect that the older movies left.

Overall, it had potential - however upon leaving the theater I felt like it was missing crucially needed elements.

Rating - 3/5

Pros:
-Visuals and CGI
-Casting
-Prominent female lead

Cons:
-Bad story
-Bad character development
-Characters not performing up to potential
-Captain Jack doesn't feel the same
-Rushed scenes
-Little to no build-up
-The start of a milked franchise

I saw the newest movie a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it!

Here is my ranking for all five movies:
1. At World's End
2. On Stranger Tides
4. Curse of the Black Pearl
5. Dead Man's Chest

My biggest problem (though I really enjoyed the movie) was that the whole time Jack was just drunk. He was not at all heroic. He didn't do anything that made him seem important. He just sat their the whole movie luckily escaping bad situations. He watched as others did heroic things. In EVERY other POTC movie Jack does something heroic or important.

1. The Curse of the Black Pearl: Shoots Barbossa after an epic fight.
2. Dead Man's Chest: Gives up his life to the Kraken
3. At World's End: Stabs Davy Jones (resulting in Will Turners coming back to life as the Captain of the Dutchman)
4. On Stranger Tides: Saves Barbossa and himself from the Spanish camp/Saves Angelica while killing Blackbeard.
5. Dead Men Tell No Tales: ?

Back