Question McAffee Antivirus Flagging TLOPO as a Virus

@squintz
lol funny you should say i read like a sales rep for them. in my previous job i actually worked for a Microsoft store as a "service advisor" aka sales rep that knows more things than the regular reps. i loved that job. only changed companies because i get to work from home now lol. the more money didnt hurt either.

and windows 10 supposedly isnt going anywhere. its intended to be iterative updates forever from here on out.
That is funny, guess the training never really goes away. I thought I read on the microsoft site fairly recently a comment like when win10 reaches it's end of life in the near future......
Could you define this statement in non sales rep terms for us.
"its intended to be iterative updates forever from here on out"
Thanks.

yes, basically, last information i was privy to, there is no "next OS version" there will only be windows 10. probably sometime in the future to become just windows. but the iteritave updates are in the form of like service packs or "Feature Updates". thats what I was led to believe while employed there. (not by the department involved in windows development) but i had heard this before i was employed by microsoft, as early as when windows 10 launched.
the current windows 10 feature update is version 2004. which is basically a date code. year 2020 month 04. in the 2004 feature update (current) the new features are more background. Cortana became her own app and can now be updated from the app store, search is now its own app and can also be updated from the app store, the settings app has had a little bit of rearranging namely OneDrive settings and windows updates are pinned to the top of the main settings page to make them easier to find, the settings search function has been moved front and center, and the current user is displayed at the top now.
last year the date code was 1903. year 2019 month 03. then later in the year 1909 for month 09. sometimes the updates are simply UI updates, sometimes, theres a brand new feature like how windows mixed reality was added with the creator update (feature update 1803 i think, dont quote me on that) in that same update there was also paint 3d was introduced, an overhaul to the photos app and the integration of a movie maker in the photos app. Mixer got a lot of new integration and the xbox game bar for windows 10 was overhauled, among other "creator" taylored features. i used to have all the points memorized but that was 2 years ago lol.

funny story, back when POTCO was disneys child (pre-bloodbath) i was in the process of switching to ubuntu because windows 8 and 8.1 sucked so bad i couldnt stand it. windows 10 saved microsoft in my opinion. but i was one of the players trying to play random games on ubuntu that were clearly not designed for it. i got it working and posted it on one of the ubuntu forums, maybe askubuntu. but i wrote a how to. i didnt find anyone else who successfully did it. i was saddened when disney murdered POTCO. looking for that article today i came accross pirates online. now im just waiting for the website to let me finish signing up so i can play again! lol.

That is funny, guess the training never really goes away. I thought I read on the microsoft site fairly recently a comment like when win10 reaches it's end of life in the near future......
Could you define this statement in non sales rep terms for us.
"its intended to be iterative updates forever from here on out"
Thanks.
More information on Microsoft plan for windows 10 here, check this out. Pretty darn good picture of windows 10 "end of life"

Ello Ev'ry one!
@Malia it strongly depends on what OS your currently running.
If your running windows 10, windows defender has worked fine for me for years. just dont ignore it when it tells you something is off until you have researched it and KNOW that it is not infected. but then thats every antivirus weak point. uneducated exceptions making.
if using older than windows 10, (windows 8 or 7) please upgrade to windows 10. its free still you just have to know how.

(Disclaimer: this only works if you have an activated copy of windows 7 or 8.1 installed already and will not work if using a trial license or an unactivated copy or an older version.
download media creation tool from their website, create iso file or USB installer, open the finished media like any other folder and run setup.exe, manually change the updates options to the equivilent of "dont install now", and dont change the option to keep everything, run updates as soon as you get back to your desktop in both the windows store and the windows updates section)

if you are incapable of performing the above for one reason or another or simply do not want to do the sane thing and keep updated, i personally prefer bitdefender antifirus free. its light, small, and very effective in my personal experience, couple that with malwarebytes manual scans once a week and your security settings are shaping up nicely.

if your using MacOS, i still recomend bit defender. (yes macs get viruses too, and the MacOS viruses get much worse way quicker when you encounter them) unfortunately bitdefender for macOS is not free. you will need to pay but its not a crazy amount. like $60 per year. thats the same price as 1 year of Microsoft 365 personal. (i also highly recomend. i didnt always agree with myself there until i tried it and its been the best thing ive ever done. if you disagree, you are not a normal use case and/or have not done enough research and you need to try the 1 month free trial if you have not already done so)

back to topic, TL,DR :
use built in windows defender if using windows 10, if not, get it, see instructions above, or use bitdefender antivirus free and malwarebytes free. if using MacOS buy bitdefender or take your chances with another solution. I also revealed that Im a Windows 10 and Microsoft 365 fan.
Thank you for the advice! I have Windows 10 and Defender, so I'll stick with that :)

Really wished a staff member would reply to this thread.

- Getting A LOT of people with this same problem.

"Real ProtectPEE" error when pressing "play" on pirate screen the game closes and anti-virus blocks it.
@The Crew
@John Foulroberts
I'm starting to lean toward the possible solution of putting the whole bloody legendofPirates folder as an exception. I was able to do this and haven't had any issues no matter when it updates. Maybe it's just a fluke.

Although, I also think it's partly the fault of the over zealous constant scanning of always on virus programs in the background. It should be noted I don't run any background virus scanners, just zonelabs firewall, and whatever else of windows defender I can't turn off. I run scans twice a week manually.

Really wished a staff member would reply to this thread.

- Getting A LOT of people with this same problem.

"Real ProtectPEE" error when pressing "play" on pirate screen the game closes and anti-virus blocks it.
@The Crew
@John Foulroberts
I'm not going to tell anyone what to do, especially if they feel uncomfortable with it, but frankly my suggestion is to uninstall McAfee. Windows defender is built in, and is more than capable of being your only anti virus. McAfee for may years now has been nothing more than pre-installed manufacturer bloatware.

I'm not going to tell anyone what to do, especially if they feel uncomfortable with it, but frankly my suggestion is to uninstall McAfee. Windows defender is built in, and is more than capable of being your only anti virus. McAfee for may years now has been nothing more than pre-installed manufacturer bloatware.
I concur.

The following are two potential solutions to this problem:
Please try adding tlopo.exe as an exception to McAfee. Our executable isn't "signed" so some AV software throws up a false positive since it doesn't recognize it.

You can also try right-clicking the TLOPO launcher and running it as administrator.

One user the above was sent to reported that running the TLOPO launcher as administrator worked for them. As always, your mileage may vary.

The other alternative as mentioned two posts up is to uninstall McAfee and use the built in Windows Defender instead.

im having the same issue with the game not loading because of mcafee anti virus anyone have an idea to work around this with out uninstalling mcafee?

Hey Tesla,

This issue persists because your antivirus software renders some of the game files as viruses where in fact these are false positives. One simple solution to your problem would be to exclude the game folder from future scans so McAfee doesn't step in each time a new game update is released thinking it is a virus.
Here's an official support page on how to exclude files from your software. YMMV though, depending on what version you are using. I hope it helps!
Please let us know should your problem is resolved after performing the necessary actions. Thanks!

The reason why McAfee is considering the TLOPO executable to be malware is because it thinks it's just a random executable file. It doesn't know the legitimacy behind the people who make it. It has no reason to trust it. It's a common security model to blacklist any "unknown" executable files to prevent infection.

There are several solutions to this issue:
  • Uninstall McAfee. As stated above, Windows Defender is more than adequate for most users' needs at the present time. McAfee is a system resource hog and has proven to be very cumbersome with false positives (as we've seen with TLOPO's binary within the last few weeks).
  • The TLOPO team can get their executable signed by a trusted certificate authority. This is not cheap and would cost several hundred dollars per year to do. This would solve the "trust" issue I outlined in the first few sentences of this post.
  • Whitelist/add an exception within McAfee for TLOPO's entire installation directory. Hopefully, with enough users doing this, McAfee gets this data sent back to them and they can update their definition files accordingly to remove TLOPO's flag.

Back