Loot MEGATHREAD: Bad Loot

Should loot skulls be allowed to spawn such trash?

• Yes

Votes: 61 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 145 70.4%

• Total voters
Loot is fine, i had 2 months of no famed or legendary's then 2 legends in 2 days.
screenshot_2018-01-20_18-02-47.jpg
screenshot_2018-01-21_15-40-57.jpg

Everybody talks about random this and random that, yet like clockwork, I get my ammo back almost instantly and in correct numbers to fill my slots, and I get cards in exactly the same position in pouch, chest and skull chest almost every drop. Where is the random in that?
I can count on the correct ammo almost every time from any drop. So, there's different cards, but the same spots in most cases.
Ammo is purposely made like that. I believe certain cards drop more commonly in certain places as well.
The reason you might see cards in the same spots in your loot is because certain requirements have to be met by loot containers. For example, skull chests must have a weapon and cannot have more than one weapon and one clothing article. So the loot containers might first choose weapons and clothing as to make sure these requirements/limits are met before trying to fill the rest of the slots.
Weapons and clothes are both supposed to drop randomly except that some can only be dropped by certain enemies and in specific places, e.g. rage ghosts drop party hats and cursed weapons can only be found on Raven's Cove and Isla Tormenta.

Ammo is purposely made like that. I believe certain cards drop more commonly in certain places as well.
The reason you might see cards in the same spots in your loot is because certain requirements have to be met by loot containers. For example, skull chests must have a weapon and cannot have more than one weapon and one clothing article. So the loot containers might first choose weapons and clothing as to make sure these requirements/limits are met before trying to fill the rest of the slots.
Weapons and clothes are both supposed to drop randomly except that some can only be dropped by certain enemies and in specific places, e.g. rage ghosts drop party hats and cursed weapons can only be found on Raven's Cove and Isla Tormenta.

"The reason you might see cards in the same spots in your loot is because certain requirements have to be met by loot containers. For example, skull chests must have a weapon and cannot have more than one weapon and one clothing article."

How do you know this? Is this just a theory about skull chests. That almost sounds like a fact. Forgive me, but the syntax confused me.

"The reason you might see cards in the same spots in your loot is because certain requirements have to be met by loot containers. For example, skull chests must have a weapon and cannot have more than one weapon and one clothing article."
How do you know this? Is this just a theory about skull chests. That almost sounds like a fact. Forgive me, but the syntax confused me.
We know that skull chests must have a weapon/sea item and are limited to one weapon/sea item and one clothing at most. The rest of the spots in the chest that aren't taken up can be cards, gold, etc. Coming from a programmers standpoint it just seems easiest to me to decide which weapon/sea item the chest is getting and then the clothing, if it gets one, before other items. The one flaw with this theory is that gold will usually be in the chest before the weapon, sea items, and clothing . Another possibility is that the items in the chest are 'sorted' in such a way that gold comes first, then weapons, sea items, and clothing, and finally anything else comes last—this would include cards.

We know that skull chests must have a weapon/sea item and are limited to one weapon/sea item and one clothing at most. The rest of the spots in the chest that aren't taken up can be cards, gold, etc. Coming from a programmers standpoint it just seems easiest to me to decide which weapon/sea item the chest is getting and then the clothing, if it gets one, before other items. The one flaw with this theory is that gold will usually be in the chest before the weapon, sea items, and clothing . Another possibility is that the items in the chest are 'sorted' in such a way that gold comes first, then weapons, sea items, and clothing, and finally anything else comes last—this would include cards.
Again, where are you getting the 'must have' rule? I see no outline anywhere on tlopo. Is a item of ammo considered a weapon? I see plenty of ammo and gold. I see some examples of bones and gold in skulls. I've gotten plenty of gold and sack shorts and nothing else as well numerous times. Yes, I see a majority of skulls have assorted weapons, but I don't see that it is a absolute rule.

And I also think that you have to be a maxed pirate to start seeing legendary in a higher percentage of loot. That looks obvious to me.

Again, where are you getting the 'must have' rule? I see no outline anywhere on tlopo. Is a item of ammo considered a weapon? I see plenty of ammo and gold. I see some examples of bones and gold in skulls. I've gotten plenty of gold and sack shorts and nothing else as well numerous times. Yes, I see a majority of skulls have assorted weapons, but I don't see that it is a absolute rule.

And I also think that you have to be a maxed pirate to start seeing legendary in a higher percentage of loot. That looks obvious to me.
Here: https://piratesforums.co/threads/loot-feedback.14794/page-2#post-219511 In later posts one or two points of this post are corrected or made clearer by others, but the large majority of them are entirely correct.
This is the way it was in POTCO and now TLOPO. Ammo does not count as a weapon.

Bart Gunshot compiled data about POTCO loot rates from some of the POTCO source files that are in a GitHub repository. In this spreadsheet he has the rates of drops of chests based on level from POTCO. As you can see, enemies level 30 and higher have the highest rate of dropping skull loot chests and therefore the best chance of dropping good loot. Because maxed pirates are able to kill higher level enemies most efficiently, of course they will get better loot.

Last edited:
Here: https://piratesforums.co/threads/loot-feedback.14794/page-2#post-219511 In later posts one or two points of this post are corrected or made clearer by others, but the large majority of them are entirely correct.
This is the way it was in POTCO and now TLOPO. Ammo does not count as a weapon.

Bart Gunshot compiled data about POTCO loot rates from some of the POTCO source files that are in a GitHub repository. In this spreadsheet he has the rates of drops of chests based on level from POTCO. As you can see, enemies level 30 and higher have the highest rate of dropping skull loot chests and therefore the best chance of dropping good loot. Because maxed pirates are able to kill higher level enemies most efficiently, of course they will get better loot.
I think we're just going in circles. I've been taking out 30+ since I was 33+ and never seen anything better than fame. Ever. But looking at all these examples of maxed pirates taking out the same 30+ level enemies, those pirates are getting red in their loot. There's no doubt to me that maxed level turns on legendary full scale. I'm lvl 47.8 and killing all 50 lvl's except 50 lvl bosses and never ever seen a red item.
Also, people should look at their paraphrasing words when disusing loot ratios as saying 'should' implies a hard set rule of sorts while saying 'may' is a soft positive. And the 'must have' has proven to be not the case.

And please people, don't say I have rotten luck. That's nonsense. Discussing this issue may not change a thing, but it could give other people better ideas how to plan their looting.

Last edited:
I think we're just going in circles. I've been taking out 30+ since I was 33+ and never seen anything better than fame. Ever. But looking at all these examples of maxed pirates taking out the same 30+ level enemies, those pirates are getting red in their loot. There's no doubt to me that maxed level turns on legendary full scale. I'm lvl 47.8 and killing all 50 lvl's except 50 lvl bosses and never ever seen a red item.
Also, people should look at their paraphrasing words when disusing loot ratios as saying 'should' implies a hard set rule of sorts while saying 'may' is a soft positive. And the 'must have' has proven to be not the case.
And your link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...zvYbrKwDSq8I3k_fMcIhOtFhc/edit#gid=1623971987
Was extremely informative and I will study it, but this statement is at the top of the work.
"Most of the specific looting code is unforunately not available to anyone. This code was contained in the AI portion of POTCO and this is not available to anyone. This means every remake will have likely very different looting code from POTCO. However, the base for this system is available and if these remakes are good on their word for making the game as much like POTCO as possible, then they will have this same base."

Also, is this still true of enemies? Have had many people state that the color isn't indicative of loot quality.

"First: The chance of loot is determined from the enemy killed. This is determined from the enemy "grade" basically the color of their level. Red and Yellow have a chance of 45, Green has a chance of 20, and Grey has a chance of 8."

I would like to know if that spreadsheet is at all accurate any more to today's tlopo.

This was in a skull chest that i looted, not even gold, like that's a joke. Where as a loot pouch i got some kind of rare, might not have been the best, but still was better then the skull chest. I have noticed a lot from the screenshots of famed/legendary drops, mostly all are from level 50s. rarely do you see a lower level get anything good. This game has become so infuriating to me that I grind every minute i can get on this game for hours at a time ( when i have the chance ) and all i can get is a rare, or a skull with nothing, just gets my hopes up. Its unfair where there are people in the game that dont try as hard as others and can have multiple different and even sometimes repeats of a famed or legendary. Because of this, im losing more and more interest to play. I understand that getting these famed or legendary drops isnt supposed to be easy, but lets not make it impossible for some that are trying to get something good.
2018-02-03 (2).png
2018-02-03 (3).png

Last edited:
This was in a skull chest that i looted, not even gold, like that's a joke. Where as a loot pouch i got had some kind of rare, might not have been the best, but still was better then the skull chest. I have noticed a lot from the screenshots of famed/legendary drops, mostly all are from level 50s. rarely do you see a lower level get anything good. This game has become so infuriating to me that I grind every minute i can get on this game for hours at a time ( when i have the chance ) and all i can get is a rare, or a skull with nothing, just gets my hopes up. Its unfair where there are people in the game that dont try as hard as others and can have multiple different and even sometimes repeats of a famed or legendary. Because of this, im losing more and more interest to play. I understand that getting these famed or legendary drops isnt supposed to be easy, but lets not make it impossible for some that are trying to get something good.View attachment 100138 View attachment 100137
I agree on some of your points about loot drops in general. But since a few weeks ago, dev's announced they tweaked loot a bit, and I saw a real improvement in land loot across the containers. It's leveled off a bit and I've gotten what you've just got as well. But, the gold in much better on the average on land loot, and the containers generally seem more robust. I've been a 50 for a day or so, and farmed for some hours yesterday without much luck but one under rated fame. BUT, lots of gold and other good things, better than a montth ago.

This is land loot only, haven't made a sail run lately to full cargo so I don't know about that. I don't agree on your comment about fairness becase we have no way to judge someone else game time or experience. I also agree that level 50 may be a goal-line to cross for red items.

I'm looting in the caverns thrall room where I think the highest level 3 enemies reside close together. Other than bosses, I don't think you can find any higher than those 3 at once. I could be wrong, but I've been able to take them out at the same time since I was a lvl 45 and still never seen a red item. Also south idol and all over that cave too, never have seen legendary.
Don't give up yet.
GL

I have seen a great improvement in land loot. However is there any improvement to boss loot yet. I tried DH and it still seemed useless.

Really? I got a ton of gold just yesterday. That is what has improved the most from my perspective.
I agree, gold has improved all the way around on land loot. However, gold is the easiest thing to track as all the other loot containers have such an assortment of stuff. You almost always see gold in the upper left of any container.

"First: The chance of loot is determined from the enemy killed. This is determined from the enemy "grade" basically the color of their level. Red and Yellow have a chance of 45, Green has a chance of 20, and Grey has a chance of 8."
This quote was from a earlier answer and I saw something today that showed a 'quality' of loot, so I don't know if people are juxtaposing 'quality' with 'chance to get'. They are two different parameters.
A clear example of my observation of 'quality' is what I did tonight. I started in South Idol, and take out all four ghosts with two lava shots.
In a half hour, I pulled 10 skulls. 7 of them contained 5 gold and junk. A few gave double greens. The very highest gold I got was 25 from 2 skulls. I believe loot chest beat them a few times.screenshot_2018-03-08_19-41-15.jpg screenshot_2018-03-08_19-55-49.jpg screenshot_2018-03-08_20-11-29.jpg
Then I went to the cursed caverns in the thrall room and the skull ratio stayed the same, but the loot and gold went up markedly. And i got more higher greens as well. In either location, I did not see any fame or legendary at all.screenshot_2018-03-08_20-47-53.jpg screenshot_2018-03-08_20-58-27.jpg And a rare double skull drop without fame or legendary.screenshot_2018-03-08_21-51-27.jpg screenshot_2018-03-08_21-51-35.jpg screenshot_2018-03-08_21-51-49.jpg

I only have one skill that isn't maxed and that is potions. Does anyone think that not being maxed in everything somehow doesn't kick you into the legendary tier? Yes, I've seen some people get red with less than 50, but that is very very rare, but I've never gotten answers from most of them if they were all skilled max. Interestingly, a few that said they were total maxed also had a high amount of legendary items. And those total maxed skilled ones were less than level 50 pirate. They had reds.

Any input would be appreciated, because this is driving me nuts.

I also do not have the pearl quest final boss fight completed. I feel something is not allowing my stats to gain the legendary random tier. I believe this exists because the very mechanism exists for quests where you will not see certain parts of the game UNTIL you reach a level and acquire an item or favor. It's throughout the whole game. You can't fish legendary until a certain level, etc.
There really seems no reason for me to go a whole year without a legendary while watching almost identical pirates double and triple reds.
Something the other pirate has accomplished has allowed her to gain the legendary random tier. Where I am lacking something tangible.
Tier for lack of a better word.
And please, please don't post any nonsense about bad luck.

Back