Megathread Couldn't extract archive error

ArabellaDrummond

The Tomb Raider
Just making a quick thread regarding the "Couldn't extract archive" error that a lot of users have been getting so the solution to this problem is in a specific place. I'm also leaving this thread unlocked so if there's any questions/issues concerning this error, you can post about it here.

The error in question is "-7: Couldn't extract archive: phase_"x".mf.bz2" where "x" is the number of the phase file (Phase_2.mf for example). All you have to do is delete the specific phase file that's mentioned whenever this issue occurs by navigating to the game folder as follows then restart the launcher:

PC: C:\Program Files (x86)\TLOPO\

Mac: ~/Library/Application\ Support/The\ Legend\ of\ Pirates\ Online/Game/

Whenever I try logging in, I get a "couldn't extract archive" message but it's not for any phases. It says "couldn't extract archive cgGL.dll.bz2" Has anyone dealt with this before? I checked the TLOPO folder to try deleting it, like you do with the phases error, but there wasn't anything that says cgGL.dll.bz2 and therefore nothing to delete.

Whenever I try logging in, I get a "couldn't extract archive" message but it's not for any phases. It says "couldn't extract archive cgGL.dll.bz2" Has anyone dealt with this before? I checked the TLOPO folder to try deleting it, like you do with the phases error, but there wasn't anything that says cgGL.dll.bz2 and therefore nothing to delete.
There should be a file called cgGL.dll. That'll be the one you want to delete.

The extension ".bz2" refers to the compression algorithm we use to make file downloads smaller (similar to putting everything into a zip file). The launcher downloads everything from our download servers in bz2 format and decompresses it once you have it on your computer. So, in short, ignore the .bz2 extension and you'll know which file you need to delete.

There should be a file called cgGL.dll. That'll be the one you want to delete.

The extension ".bz2" refers to the compression algorithm we use to make file downloads smaller (similar to putting everything into a zip file). The launcher downloads everything from our download servers in bz2 format and decompresses it once you have it on your computer. So, in short, ignore the .bz2 extension and you'll know which file you need to delete.
I did what you said, and it still isn't working. It gets to the checking for updates part and then it just goes back to the username/password screen. The launcher also doesn't load in any game news or the versions on the top right corner of the screen, even though my internet is working. Sorry about this! Not sure what I did to completely break it. Could it be something on my end rather than a bug?

I did what you said, and it still isn't working. It gets to the checking for updates part and then it just goes back to the username/password screen. The launcher also doesn't load in any game news or the versions on the top right corner of the screen, even though my internet is working. Sorry about this! Not sure what I did to completely break it. Could it be something on my end rather than a bug?
Interesting. Sounds like a firewall/antivirus issue. Can you try temporarily disabling your antivirus and then try to launch the game? If it works, you may need to add TLOPO as an exception in your antivirus software.

Additionally, if you're still having trouble pulling down that dll file, you can retrieve it directly from our download servers: https://download.tlopo.com/win64/cgGL.dll.bz2 - you'll need to extract it with something like WinRAR or 7zip and then place it in your TLOPO folder.

this doesn't work for me, i've deleted phrase_2.mf dozens of times and still having this issue. i even uninstalled and reinstalled the launcher multiple times and i only successfully downloaded phase_2.mf once but then phase_4.mf has the same issue. is the staff working on this issue?

Following the same answer JFR gave above:

Additionally, if you're still having trouble pulling down that dll file, you can retrieve it directly from our download servers: https://download.tlopo.com/win64/cgGL.dll.bz2 - you'll need to extract it with something like WinRAR or 7zip and then place it in your TLOPO folder.
You can download any of the game installation files directly, extract them with WinRAR or 7zip, and place them into the TLOPO installation folder:

Last edited:
For me, the cannot extract is for tlopo.exe.bz2, which sounds like a reasonably important file? I went to the directory and wasn't sure if that's actually the thing to delete. I didn't even make it to the various phases needing to be extracted.

You can delete it. It's important to the game, but not to the launcher (which should simply redownload it upon detecting it missing).
I tried it, and it redownloaded the now-missing part just like you said, but still froze at the same extraction message for it. Is this something I can just wait around for the next updates to fix?

Last edited:
Turn off your firewall(s) and antivirus software, do this every time the launcher needs to update, also if that doesn't work which it might ( it happened to me ) try this suggestion: https://computing.which.co.uk/hc/en...w-or-block-programs-with-the-Windows-Firewall
Look for something called launcher and allow it.
ive tried its not downloading it if it was the firewall downloading it from here wouldnt work its just not extracting at all hence why i was hopig someone could do what the crew did and post the updated stuff here

ive tried its not downloading it if it was the firewall downloading it from here wouldnt work its just not extracting at all hence why i was hopig someone could do what the crew did and post the updated stuff here
Make sure you are using a 3rd party program to extract (WinRAR or 7zip), as the built in one for windows will not extract bz2 files.

Have you tried downloading and extracting it manually as indicated in the 8th post? You will need 7zip (WinRar will also work if you have it) to extract them, but that should work for you.
Bit of a heads up on that. Many people upon seeing the files come up in the zip program list just copy paste them from there into whatever folder is suggested. It happens all the time. That doesn't work because the files need to be decompressed user files. The files have to be highlighted and then select 'EXtracted' to the folder. It sounds so basic, but it's surprising how many people think dragging the file does the same thing. Many zip programs do not unpack files that way. The newer zip ones are starting to think that way, but not all.

Back