Guide Misha's Guide to the Ship Combat (PvE)

Did this Guide help you or teach you something new?

• Yay!

• Nay!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Misha

Site Founder
Ahoy folks, and welcome to my guide on PvE Ship Combat. Before we begin, I want to make a point that these tips are ONLY FINITE IN PVE. SvS is an entirely different beast that I have yet to tackle, we will get there when we get there.

BROADSIDES

For those of you who are new to maritime ship terminology, a ship in TLOPO carries two sets of Broadsides, a Port, and a Starboard. Port is left, and Starboard is right. This information is important as this is the order in which your broadsides will be aligned on your Sailing skills, 1 being Port, and 2 being Starboard.

Though broadsides have different patterns of fire and positioning based on the ship and class, the general alignment of a broadside is that the game will lock on to the closest opponent in a roughly 150° cone from the broadside's position, shown below:

1566399487777.png

1566398541930.png

Dumbfire Range implies that this is the furthest that the game will lob your broadsides, and you will likely fail to lock on to opponents at this range.

Broadside Lock-On is fairly self-explanatory. This is the range in which your broadsides will seek accurately, and will more than likely hit your opponent with the full volley.

Lock-On Deadzone is the absolute limits of the broadside fire, and the game will only ever lock on to opponents in these areas rarely.

MOVEMENT: DO'S & DON'TS

DON'T:

1566397608817.png

SIT STILL

Resting in the water is as quick a death as it gets in the Caribbean. You NEVER want to stop moving, as against Hunters and beyond, this is a death sentence.

The only exceptions to this is if you are fighting a smaller target and your broadsides are having issues locking on during movement.

1566397551650.png

REVERSE

What might typically seem like an OK idea against smaller ships can prove to be a fatal miscalculation. While reversing do keep your broadsides (and gunners) in the action longer than trying to turn back to get shots, this also gives your opponent all the time in the world to shoot back.

DO:

1566397402447.png

CIRCLING

Circling enemy adversaries has historically been the most successful battle tactic in TLOPO. Circling your opponent not only gives your broadsides large surfaces along the side of a ship's hull to shoot at, but can also keep your own vessel from being struck by enemy volleys.

BOW-LOCKING

1566397470293.png

Bow-locking, while not a common technique, can be used against larger opponents by sailing to the very front of their bow, ramming yourself up to it, and wiggling your stern in order to let your broadsides lock on and have your gunners barrage the enemy combatant with little to no damage in return.

This is not easy to pull off, is unconventional in many engagements, but is quite useful once you've mastered the ability to pull it off.

Abassa Ship Cluster

1566399871094.png

Nicknamed the Abassa Ship Cluster by the community, this stretch of sea between Padres Del Fuego, Kingshead, and the Cutthroat Archipelago houses a large open area for players to gather hunters for easy and efficient material voyages. Occurring on the Abassa and Andaba Oceans, it's as easy as finding the more populated server, setting sail, and making way to look for the group.

When captaining voyages through the Abassa Ship Cluster, it's common courtesy a follow the flow of the friendly vessels in the area. Doing so will allow players to stay away from the receiving end of any nasty broadsides from lethal combatants such as the HMS Battle Royale.

1566400295857.png

NOTE: When captaining a ship with other Pirates aboard, try your best to keep your targets, and thus your cannoneers on one side. This will not only minimize the risk involved trying to rotate between broadsides against enemy vessels, but this should also be done as a courtesy to save your crewmates a headache and to spare yourself a quick trip down to the bottom of the ocean.

SKILL-BUILDING

Skills

5x Both Broadsides (Stock)
1x Full Sail!
1x Come About!
3x Open Fire!
1x Ramming Speed!
1x Take Cover!

Passives
5x Tacking
5x Windcatcher
5x Taskmaster

Both Tacking and Windcatcher skills are both viable picks for a good majority of points, but out of the two, the only real necessity would be Tacking for the increased turn radius.

Treasure Sense is used to gain extra gold at the end of a voyage, and in my opinion is easily subbed out for Taskmaster, to drop that 15 second broadside reload just that much more.

SUMMARY

There is a lot of information to be had in regards to how sailing works in the Legend of Pirates Online, and there are many a tips I'm sure I haven't learnt myself. If you have any information that could benefit other players, don't hesitate to leave them down as a reply, and I will add them as I make time to do so!

EDITS
v1.02 - Revised the imagery since much of it was not available.
v1.03 - Revised much of the information with descriptions to make it more intuitive.
v1.04 - Moved the Broadsides section.​

Last edited:
Back