Guide Misha's Guide to Voodoo Staff (Revamped)

Did this Guide help you or teach you something new?

• Yay!

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • Nay!

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Misha

Site Founder
Hey there folks! Today I'm going to be going over the most notorious weapon class in-game to get, including the weapon's strong suits as well as where to train it. Without further adieu, let's jump in.

Weapon Unlock: Voodoo Staff

To begin your Staff quest, you must be Level 30. Head to Tia Dalma to claim your first step, which will prompt you to defeat 10 Undead Raiders, 16 Undead Gypsies, and 16 Undead Executioners in the Catacombs.

To get to the Catacombs, head to the northern cavern entrance on Padres Del Fuego and head into Lava Gorge. After you've entered the cave, take either path to the North Eastern corner of the area, and enter the Catacombs.

1563909003755.png

The enemies you need for this step can be found in their respective areas, shown below:

Enemy Key
1: Undead Gypsies
2: Undead Raiders
3: Undead Executioners

1563906841542.png

After returning to Tia Dalma, she will ask you to return to Padres to kill 6 Corrupted Stumps in El Sudoron.
El Sudoron can be found by this time heading to the Southern end of Padres Del Fuego and entering Beckett's Quarry. Once you've gotten into the cave, hook a right and find your way down to the South Eastern corner, in which you will be greeted with the entrance to El Sudoron.

1563907095275.png

PSA: By continuing through the Southern end of El Sudoron, you can go to Las Pulgas, which is where General Darkhart resides.

Upon completion return to Tia Dalma for your next assignment. She will task you next with braving the High Seas to recover 5 Shrunken Heads from Storm Reaper ghost ships. For those of you not too keen to sailing, my recommendations to find these ships for your quest would be searching all around the islands of Padres Del Fuego and Raven's Cove, as well, a few tend to drift off near Isla Perdida and Driftwood Island from time to time!

Once you're back to Tia Dalma with these heads on your belt, she will send you back out to assassinate 16 Undead Raiders, 16 Navy Dragoons and 16 EITC Assassins. These can be found in Beckett's Quarry, Navy/EITC in the South, and the Raiders toward the North. You can also return to the Catacombs if you are having trouble finding Raiders here.

Return to Tia Dalma, you're almost there! Next, she will ask you to take on some of Davy Jones' goons down at Isla Tormenta, more specifically asking you to kill 20 Dregs, 14 Flotsam, and 14 Spineskull.

Once you've reached the island, you'll be greeted at the entrance with your first opponent, Dregs. Stay here until you've completed this part, as Dregs do not spawn inside the caverns and then head inside. On the pathway to the pools you will see a multitude of Flotsam, which marks two of three targets gone. Once you've made it to the first pool, Spineskull will be a fairly often spawn, so sit tight.

Back to Tia Dalma with you for the final step in this quest! After you've returned, she will ask you to hunt down 3 Black Harbinger ships.
These ships can be found surrounding Padres Del Fuego, and occasionally between Isla De La Avarcia and Ile D'Etable De Porc.

Return to Tia Dalma to complete your Staff quest!

Weapon Training: Voodoo Staff

Staff Lv. 1 - Lv. 4

When leveling your staff from Level 1 to Level 4, I would recommend no place better than the alligators and fly traps on Cuba's bayou or in the Pantano River. However, if this feels sluggish for you, I would recommend going to Misty Mire on Tortuga and using the Undead Brigands as Voodoo puppets! At this time I would recommend saving your training points and just using the Level 1 Soul Flay and Blast.

Staff Lv. 4 - 15

Marching Grounds, Kingshead

After leveling your Staff to Level 4, you will have unlocked Wither, which will be your primary crowd clear attack until Level 10. As soon as you hit Level 4, waste no time taking yourself over to Kingshead, in which the group of six Veterans and an Officer await their demise.

This group of enemies will serve you until Level 10, which you will be unlocking and using Flaming Skull. At this point in time, is where you make your choice. Veterans may be too weak and may die too quickly for your taste, so my next recommendation would be heading back to the Catacombs that we've discussed previously.

Catacombs, Padres Del Fuego

Once you've made it back to the Catacombs, there will be a group of six enemies, three undead and three Navy/EITC. These will serve as your higher health hitpoint puppets to beat down for the next few levels, as shown here:

1563908452854.png

These enemies are tougher, so it is a choice at this point which attack you are primarily going to use. I recommend Wither, but Flaming Skull does work here too.

Voodoo Staff: Lv. 15 - Lv. 30

Note
: 2/3 of these spots are popular looting spots, and may not always guarantee you a chance to use them due to their popularity.

Bridge

My #1 spot in the game for staff training, Bridge features enemies between levels (38-43). The density is rather poor, so lining up Flaming Skulls will take some practice.

Recommended Attack: Flaming Skull
1563907645969.png

Located in the area shown above, Bridge works fantastically in conjunction with a Gold Room or Tormenta boss crew due to the area's popularity, netting you up to 50% more EXP per kill.

Gold Room

The #2 spot for training Staff, enemies range from levels (38-45), and are very densely packed. This spot utilizes the full range of Wither, although can be effective with Flaming Skull with the practice.

Recommended Attack: Wither
1563907795110.png

Due to the enemy level ranges in Gold Room, it is recommended to avoid this area if you are not of appropriate level, as the opponents here will down you very quickly.

South Idol
My #3 spot for training staff, South Idol features a similar density to Gold Room, but instead features enemies between the levels of (33-40), which assists lower notoriety pirates. The spawns located here are a straight line, making it prime territory for Flaming Skull, although Wither can be utilized here too if preferred.

Recommended Attack: Flaming Skull
1563907864834.png

It should be noted that you either need a friend who is willing to head here for you, or to have your Raven's Cove Quest at least 50% complete to be able to access El Patron's Mine.

TRAINING: Honorable Mentions

Invasions

While invasions are not very common, with a decent crew you can pack quite a wallop as the game lobs troves of enemies at you in a straight line, perfect for Flaming Skull.

Devil Root
Devil Root isn't a common boss whatsoever in terms of popularity, found on the back end of Outcast Isle. However, there are many anchored mobs in his area, and can be lined up fairly easily for Flaming Skull to hit them.

Voodoo Staves: Best In Class

Staves are very steep in regards to their best in class weapons. If you are interested in reading up on my Top 3 picks, click on the link to be taken to their Wikia pages!

#1: Corpse Staff
(Found from the Hallowed Woods Event)

#2: Lava Staff

#3: Burnt Staff
(Obtained by completing a Staff Enchant II during your Raven's Cove Quest.)

Thank you for reading my guide! If there's anything I missed or anything that you would like to add, please, feel free to leave feedback in the replies section and I will add it to the guide with credits to you as soon as I've seen it!

Notes
v1.02 - Updated artwork to be more intuitive.
v1.03 - Updated "Best in Class" to include the more recent staves.
v1.04 - Simplified the text and and removed redundant information.​

Last edited:
Lvls 1 thru 20- kingshead the middle with wither
Lvls 20 thru 30- south ideal with flame
Bam, done! It isn't the hardest weapon imo, Gun and dagger are.. cant aoe them :C

Lvls 1 thru 20- kingshead the middle with wither
Lvls 20 thru 30- south ideal with flame
Bam, done! It isn't the hardest weapon imo, Gun and dagger are.. cant aoe them :C
Not the hardest, by far, but it's tedious and the quest makes it a grueling process. As well, the reason I didn't simply state what you said about training in the guide is because I tend to give people options so they aren't endlessly bored stuck at one area.

Not the hardest, by far, but it's tedious and the quest makes it a grueling process. As well, the reason I didn't simply state what you said about training in the guide is because I tend to give people options so they aren't endlessly bored stuck at one area.
Loot is better for around that lvl at those places. Why I suggested it and I also follow the same route. c:

A good spot to level for mid-level until you can go to the Padres caverns or the places mentioned for the higher levels(Those places are great ones to use as the group many high levels together.) is to go to Isla Perdida and take on the wasps there. Several can be gathered into on bunch by poking them with a basic blast and then hitting them wither or flaming skull. This will give you a change of pace from Kingshead as it is someplace often ignored by most pirates except when the BP quest takes you there for Scary Mary.

Last edited:
Nice guide Misha!
I like to take my newly minted staff to Isla Perdida and blast the long rows of wasps.
You can aggregate about 10 to 15 wasps at a time and ZAP those bugs!
It takes about an hour to go from level 1 to 15 or so, and the loot aint bad either!
Savor it!
That's always a good option too! Kingshead is my preferred spot but the density in Perdida sounds fantastic, I'll have to abuse that with this x2 EXP!

That's always a good option too! Kingshead is my preferred spot but the density in Perdida sounds fantastic, I'll have to abuse that with this x2 EXP!
I've done Wasps in Perdida often but now ya have to watch them as they attack while collecting loot ...... lol

I did it for Nades and Dagger levelling, but I've never done it for staff. Also true, that sounds like it'd be painful!
Nice for Doll also , attune 5 wasps and ya can chase them ............ ya may get a tad dizzy like I do after 30 - 40 runs but max XP If ya don't over kill with skill points

Nice guide Misha!
I like to take my newly minted staff to Isla Perdida and blast the long rows of wasps.
You can aggregate about 10 to 15 wasps at a time and ZAP those bugs!
It takes about an hour to go from level 1 to 15 or so, and the loot aint bad either!
Savor it!
That's similar to what I did too, but I only stayed at Perdida until I trained Wither a little. Then I went to Kingshead and got to level 15 super fast, especially since I had a crew. Overall it takes about an hour to get from level 1 to 15, like you said.

Staves: Best In Class

Staves are very steep in regards to their best in class weapons. If you are interested in any of the top three, click on them to be taken to their respective Wikia articles!

#1: Lava Staff

#2: Skull Staff
(Code staff, no longer available.)

#3: Death Staff

(Found at Valentina in Northern Padres Del Fuego)​
Overall great guide, but I disagree that Skull Staff and Death Staff are the best staves after Staff of Lava.

Burnt Staff is arguably the second best because it focuses on Flaming Skull (+2 boost), an ability which is far more versatile and powerful than Wither -- and Wither is basically the only other viable staff attack, anyways.

Also, Skull Staff is no longer obtainable, as you mentioned... so why rank it? The top 3 staves in the game, in my opinion, are:

1. Staff of Lava
2. Burnt Staff
3. Death Staff*

*replace by Skull Staff if it ever returns

Overall great guide, but I disagree that Skull Staff and Death Staff are the best staves after Staff of Lava.

Burnt Staff is arguably the second best because it focuses on Flaming Skull (+2 boost), an ability which is far more versatile and powerful than Wither -- and Wither is basically the only other viable staff attack, anyways.

Also, Skull Staff is no longer obtainable, as you mentioned... so why rank it? The top 3 staves in the game, in my opinion, are:

1. Staff of Lava
2. Burnt Staff
3. Death Staff*

*replace by Skull Staff if it ever returns
That's a fair argument. I listed it simply because I have experience with it's playstyle and it is overall one of the best. I listed it because it exists, not because of it's obtainability. You would definitely be right about the Burnt Staff though in regards to actual effectiveness. Thanks for the support.

Back