Suggestion Moderate thee TROLL whom has a goal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shamus The Brute

"We have all been called to do great things in this life. Become the LIGHT of this world (please) challenging the smallest hint of darkness." - Shamus

Note: I would like to thank and give @Eric Sailcutter credit for a thread of his to which we can all learn to appreciate. (That thread can be found here: https://piratesforums.co/threads/you-meet-the-nicest-people-in-this-game.29001/ *Please visit, so as to also bring further ideas to 'light').

Light. Darkness. Good and evil. Where one is found the other is lurking. This, me hearties, will never change!

How can yourself and TLOPO discover ways to offset rightfully the balance where Light (or 'good') prevails over the stubbornness of the darkness (or evil)? Below are possible solutions written for this forums, for pirates whom behave/follow the rules, and for TLOPO's own moderation team. I trust everyone reading this thread will read with a open mind and heart.

Friend, as difficult as it is to accept, please understand that when it comes to game moderation logic calls for a proactive approach (as opposed to a 'reactive' one) to which I feel TLOPO itself should embrace. The intention behind such logic, really, is to discover ways to keep darkness itself at bay. In the end, the goal of the ideas expressed here/on Eric's thread, is to surpass the problems and playing experience of POTCO. Instead, the hope and the reward is to realize support of healthy memories and positive experiences for everyone in playing TLOPO. ;)

The "Beautiful Stranger" approach:
An argument exists that TLOPO's moderation team are limited by the sheer size and scope of their number. A point is made too that the TLOPO moderation team, like the devs themselves, are volunteers. (Being volunteers it has been voiced on this forums that moderators themselves should 'not' be available at everyone's beck and call within the game. TLOPO, as we all know, has numerous challenges on the development side which do take priority). So why settle upon the scope of such limitations?

TLOPO, like POTCO, has hidden gems waiting to contribute (and to be of help). These "beautiful strangers" are the everyday pirates which make up TLOPO's player base. Why overly dismiss them then and dismiss the power to which they could possess?

Below are the nut and bolts behind this approach. (This idea is quite feasible utilizing the power of 'everyone' involved as opposed to the minority few):
  • Modify the available crew/look out feature POTCO had and que an additional option for purpose of "beautiful stranger" approach
  • Once que'd by a player whom agrees to be of help, a TLOPO moderator receives a notification in-game of said player joining the que
  • Through chat, the player receives instructions from the moderator and/or hellos are quickly exchanged
  • Once the approach option is que'd, a TLOPO player (while playing) becomes additional eyes and ears of the game for the moderation team in exchange for pre-determined *incentives* set openly and publicly by TLOPO
  • Players enrolling into the program receive TLOPO incentives only if he/she has successfully helped an available moderator teleport to the site of a legitimate conflict ensuing, requiring said moderator's presence or attention
  • Any player engaging the que but then purposefully communicating false alerts to a TLOPO moderator loses his/right to enroll into said program within the future (and causes their identity then to become listed)
  • Absolute anonymity will be practiced within the ('Beautiful Stranger') que and incentive program
  • In theory, the physical presence alone of the TLOPO moderator (@ the scene-of-the-crime) interrupts a trouble-makers goal and plan, forcing them to re-think their own behavior and "strategy"
  • In theory, reliance upon a "Beautiful Stranger" program builds both trust and relationship between TLOPO's player base and the moderation team built to protect
  • The implementation of the program itself, I hope, requires minimal coding/little time spent away from core TLOPO developer responsibilities
The "Ray of Light" option:

Receiving unpopularity already (not surprisingly), my previous "Ray of Light" idea came about out of necessity - I feel - for a trouble-maker to be held accountable publicly for his/her own intentions of wrongdoing. Here's a recap of the idea's scope:
  • Reverse-engineer the game's pre-developed ray of Light que to include also a unique (colored) ray once a que for it has been engaged by a TLOPO player desiring moderation or to whom has become a victim
  • This ray will hover over a player causing the trouble until a TLOPO moderator has the means to arrive upon the scene to judge/possibly diffuse the conflict which has ensued
  • The que'd ray of Light can be seen (publicly) from known, specific points-of-location in-game for which TLOPO moderators are responsible for visiting often and for monitoring
  • The que'd ray of Light will disappear completely if the player engaging the que leaves the vicinity of the one causing the trouble (prior to a moderator's arrival and presence)
  • In theory, a ray of Light feature can visually alert TLOPO's moderation team in real time (think 'batman signal' against the sky) reducing redundant reports, wasted time and energy
  • In theory, the ray of Light feature may increase morale within TLOPO's moderation team (reassuring them as the superheroes we know they could become given themselves in answering [publicly] the 'batman' signal/call/cry for help)
  • The ray of Light option could better play upon the psyche of a pirate whom is causing trouble (because he/she has grown used to or has taken advantage of the time it takes for a moderation report to become handled).
It is because of this last point above ^ which has me most support this ray of Light feature for TLOPO.

Other ideas: Please share your own, below.

These two ideas, the "Beautiful Stranger" and the "Ray of Light" ideas...they have the potential to thwart the level of FUN a troll-of-a-pirate assumes once they realize TLOPO moderation occurs in real time! Make no mistake about it though. The darkness will always try to prevail to gain a foothold. It's inevitable. *Even still, what do we do then; stop believing (as they do) that accountability against them is to become a "dying" art? Troubled pirates only seek to get away with things so as to live another day!

What other ideas do you have which could be of help to TLOPO? Please visit this thread or @Eric Sailcutter's above ^ mentioned thread to share ideas which you do have to be of help. Thank ye! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love a ray of light hovering over my head. This is an excellent idea, I hope to see TLOPO implement this very soon! In addition, I would love to become a Beautiful Stranger!

-The Father

Once the approach option is que'd, a TLOPO player (while playing) becomes additional eyes and ears of the game for the moderation team in exchange for pre-determined *incentives* set openly and publicly by TLOPO

So essentially, these players would be moderators without having moderator powers? In addition, TLOPO would then have to keep an eye on said “Beautiful Strangers” to ensure they aren’t abusing the power (?) that they have?

I do want to clarify we don’t need a player to teleport to in order to solve an issue... the report feature does everything that a “Beautiful Stranger” could possibly do.

Another point to consider, these “Beautiful Strangers” would become targets themselves for being what some call, “snitches”.

So essentially, these players would be moderators without having moderator powers? In addition, TLOPO would then have to keep an eye on said “Beautiful Strangers” to ensure they aren’t abusing the power (?) that they have?

I do want to clarify we don’t need a player to teleport to in order to solve an issue... the report feature does everything that a “Beautiful Stranger” could possibly do.

Another point to consider, these “Beautiful Strangers” would become targets themselves for being what some call, “snitches”.
Depends on how you want to view the help. I would assume TLOPO believes in the goodness of all people given the scope of the belief for everyone to just "report" everything only, in good conscience.
I thought of this in the past but there are too many downsides to this involving bullying of these folks. It seems like it could be a good idea if and only if these people were hand picked and very undercover. But it seems like a lot of unnecessary work for something we pretty much already have in place; the report feature.
I am in favor of the REPORT option. I always have been. In truth, I think everyone is. (In truth as well, the option itself is not solving 'all' problems. History of POTCO is testimony to that).
There's enough shaming on the internet based more heavily on echoing than evidence. We don't need a ray of light to shame pirates.
Then let's ignore the issues players are still having with trouble-makers and too, by all means, let us continue to put the pressure on good folks to simply tolerate these same problems (which occur still to this day) without making additional adjustments.

In a TLOPO world which honors tweek adjustments to improve upon things, why ignore moderation changes which failed during the time of POTCO?

I disagree with the post’s conclusions but love the post itself :)
I can respect that. Are there conclusions of your own that you can contribute here which would be of help to TLOPO? Also, do you have any stories to tell of trolls disrupting your own game play (or stories where you had 'reported' someone, it then resolved that particular issue but you understand too the problem of trolling itself was not impacted overall nor resolved in totality)?

*I am not buying the OLD mindset any longer that just because trolling/bad behavior exists in gaming overall that the issue itself can't be challenged (to where we just simply 'pacify' or tolerate the problem)! Yes...we are far savvier than that! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Then let's ignore the issues players are still having with trouble-makers and too, by all means, let us continue to put the pressure on good folks to simply tolerate these same problems (which occur still to this day) without making additional adjustments.
How exactly is that a response to my comment about omitting the shaming of a ray of light? There are plenty of other ways to NOT ignore issues, such as a regular report that is taken seriously by a sufficiently staffed crew of admin people. Chill, please, when quoting.

How exactly is that a response to my comment about omitting the shaming of a ray of light? There are plenty of other ways to NOT ignore issues, such as a regular report that is taken seriously by a sufficiently staffed crew of admin people. Chill, please, when quoting.
Why do people mistake holding players accountable and mislabel it as "shaming?" It all comes down to intention. Granted, the intention itself is expressed within the public domain but still...does that give everyone the right to dismiss the intention itself and chalk it off as shaming (mislabeling the intention with a 'unintended' negative connotation)?

I respect your choice to not support one of the ideas I have. I don't have all of the answers. What I can tell you is...unless players themselves are shown that they have something to lose publicly (ie, their reputation, their standing within their own guild, the parallel they have with their actions 'agreeing' with their words in-game, etc.) there is nothing left to keep them sincere with how they conduct themselves in the future given the reporting option limits their sincerity to a single pirate of theirs, not the person behind the accounts of several pirates. Hence, single pirate accounts are expendable.

I am more interested about real change within a player and that begins with accountability, on a public level. ;)

the reporting option limits their sincerity to a single pirate of theirs, not the person behind the accounts of several pirates.

Honestly, I’m not sure you’re up to date with our moderation policies. When a player gets banned/muted, we mute/ban all their accounts. We have ways to see which accounts belong to a user and take action on all of the accounts.

Regarding the light, most likely *certain* players will seek to get the ray of light for fun. I don’t think giving a player attention with something like the ray is the best option. It’s best if they’re banned or muted and nothing beyond that.

Last edited:
there is nothing left to keep them sincere with how they conduct themselves in the future given the reporting option limits their sincerity to a single pirate of theirs, not the person behind the accounts of several pirates. Hence, single pirate accounts are expendable.
Go get yourself muted then come back and tell us what that does to your other pirates

Honestly, I’m not sure you’re up to date with our moderation policies. When a player gets banned/muted, we mute/ban all their accounts. We have ways to see which accounts belong to a user and take action on all of the accounts.

Regarding the light, most likely *certain* players will seek to get the ray of light for fun. I don’t think giving a player attention with something like the ray is the best option. It’s best if they’re banned or muted and nothing beyond that.
Maybe I am not, as you say. But also too...not everyone being reported on is being banned.

On your other point: whom cares (if they get the attention)? It's the "wrong kind" of attention creating greater odds that implications will result. Like I mentioned earlier, such experiences are no different than a player falsely/legitimately initiating a report on someone and in real time a TLOPO moderator quickly gains:
  • Whom they are
  • What guild they represent/the guild that supports them
  • What motive is actually going on (in real time) between the players at the scene
A combination of information and a "feel" of what is really happening (in real time) should create moderation of TLOPO which betters that of POTCO. Pertinent to the ray of light idea, the ray itself disappears as soon as a moderator arrives (or the player whom initiated it leaves the scene). *Not too much time involved if TLOPO values putting forth a well moderated game as opposed to mediocre moderation...if that is what might be occurring.

Maybe I am not, as you say. But also too...not everyone being reported on is being banned.
Right, because in these cases they don't break our rules.

mediocre moderation...if that is what might be occurring.
Nice.

• Whom they are
  • What guild they represent/the guild that supports them
  • What motive is actually going on (in real time) between the players at the scene
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but we see this exact thing in a report. When a report comes up, we can quickly click on their username and see their pirate name(s), guild name, levels, location, chat logs etc.

Right, because in these cases they don't break our rules.

Nice.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but we see this exact thing in a report. When a report comes up, we can quickly click on their username and see their pirate name(s), guild name, levels, location, chat logs etc.
Good luck. None of this ^ response is any surprise to me.

*Thanks for the brainstorming effort.

I’m simply explaining how our process works and why some of these ideas are redundant. No offense, but you aren’t playing TLOPO and lack the context of many of these issues. I’m providing context on how we do things and why it makes some of these ideas redundant (or more work) for moderators.

In addition, don’t get insulted by my responses, you’re the one who has gotten personal by suggesting the moderation team is mediocre without any evidence to support it.

Last edited:

Teague is right. These ideas are a lot of work to implement, and would just be unnecessary additions.

Your ray of light idea follows the same procedure that they already take but adds extra, unnecessary steps. From what I understand (though I may be incorrect) a lot of moderation is done via reports and aren't entirely done in game. Moderators get a logged report with all the details you specified earlier, rather than "chase down the bad guy". Not to say that an in game mod wouldn't mute you if you are breaking rules for chat right in front of them.

Your other suggestion is much like adding in a hall monitor or a prefect. Nobody will take them as serious as staff (and that's to say that the offender takes staff serious). I don't see these people being much help when, like teague said earlier, the report button can do plenty.

If you aren't going to report the player for their actions, then their actions aren't worthy of a mute or ban. This game is built on a community that wants to enjoy the game for what it was and what it's becoming. If there is someone negating your ability to do so, you are already given the ability to do something about it. That report button does quite a lot.

I’m simply explaining how our process works and why some of these ideas are redundant. No offense, but you aren’t playing TLOPO and lack the context of many of these issues. I’m providing context on how we do things and why it makes some of these ideas redundant (or more work) for moderators.

In addition, don’t get insulted by my responses, you’re the one who has gotten personal by suggesting the moderation team is mediocre without any evidence to support it.
But sir, you are doing so upon a thread which is seeking out new ideas and the hope towards brainstorming. If you felt compelled to enlighten me, you could have done it via pm or upon my forums profile - not here. *I already stated I am not against reporting yet you have gone out of your way here to prove it must be the ONE and only option, next to ignoring someone. Kinda makes me feel you are here commenting to a thread without actually contributing with said thread's OP intent.

In your mind, I must too play TLOPO in order to understand things. I disagree. Granted, I may not know all things but I do know this:
  • This monster of (me) Shamus The Brute understands that I have you and some TLOPO moderators here stating publicly that REPORT will fix the majority of all bad behavior issues which arise in TLOPO. *So let it be done, then!!! Remember, this thread was written to not have so much pressure put on moderators but rather instead a way to brainstorm ways to get the entire community involved and behind...in conjunction with the REPORT/IGNORE options already. Since, in your mind, there is no room for change - OK. I respect that. Just know if the community keeps stating certain things I will expect then for REPORT/IGNORE to not permit the same issue in game to happen twice to a different individual. *Otherwise, REPORT/IGNORE has limitations you seem to not want to admit publicly!
Teague is right. These ideas are a lot of work to implement, and would just be unnecessary additions.

Your ray of light idea follows the same procedure that they already take but adds extra, unnecessary steps. From what I understand (though I may be incorrect) a lot of moderation is done via reports and aren't entirely done in game. Moderators get a logged report with all the details you specified earlier, rather than "chase down the bad guy". Not to say that an in game mod wouldn't mute you if you are breaking rules for chat right in front of them.

Your other suggestion is much like adding in a hall monitor or a prefect. Nobody will take them as serious as staff (and that's to say that the offender takes staff serious). I don't see these people being much help when, like teague said earlier, the report button can do plenty.

If you aren't going to report the player for their actions, then their actions aren't worthy of a mute or ban. This game is built on a community that wants to enjoy the game for what it was and what it's becoming. If there is someone negating your ability to do so, you are already given the ability to do something about it. That report button does quite a lot.
Thank you for expressing your opinion here. ;) If you don't mind, do me the favor and read what I write above. *If REPORT/IGNORE can actually deter bad behavior in TLOPO from occurring (and not only as a 'correction' tool) I will be the first to admit publicly I was wrong for doubting said pre-existing options.

I request this thread be closed. It had been derailed... :mad: by someone other than myself.

*Feel obliged to "report" me on this forums for whatever reason or whenever. (I guarantee you it will not change any ill feelings which are going on inside of me and now @this time. Hence, it's likely I will cause future trouble or issues on the forums via such feelings and motive; the very goal this thread sought to eliminate for bad behaving pirates within the confines of TLOPO game play).

Good luck. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back