Announcement Moderation Procedures Overhaul (Work in Progress)

1. What's autoclicking for anyways... this game doesn't move fast enough to worry about fast clicks or whatever... it's not counter strike.

squintz, Today at 2:25 PM
Auto-clicking were used by cheaters in POTCO so they could position one of their pirates in the mist of some bad guys, turn on the auto-clicker and it would swing away dispatching the bad guys and earning the pirate/cheater rep and kills and they did not have to be actively on the computer.

Any idea how close this is to being implemented? I only ask because there's a few words I'd possibly suggest for the whitelist but if it's weeks rather than months then I won't bother :)

I definitely support you all in any changes like this that you want to make! Everything I've seen you do has been carefully considered and in the best interests of the player community. Just another good example of something wonderful that you all are doing that can be taken for granted. Keep up the awesome work! I appreciate you all!

One thing I'm wondering about: how would you know if you got an "infraction", so to speak? Would it be a formal notice on your account, or would a GM tell you?

I understand you want to keep "clean" the chat but so much effort for chat when you have bigger problems like the crashes and disconnects! Also you have blacklisted words that are not even inappropriate like names etc plus i'm Greek and when i play with my friend i can't write to him in greeklish (greek words written in english). Keep it clean from cuss etc but when i can't write my own name that's just going to far. You could have like infinite games a language filter and a report method for anyone who removes language filter and uses inappropriate language. It's one thing to want to keep chat clean from inappropriate words and another to choose the exact words one can say. Don't get me wrong i like the game, i like the whole keep chat clean and i can't express how thankful i am(we are) for all the work you've done and do but i'm 26 and i can't speak to my friend and constantly have to rewrite something cause i mistyped(without being inappropriate word! Thank you for everything and i;m not trying to be offensive in any way i'm just trying to give you my opinion as a ling time gamer!

I understand you want to keep "clean" the chat but so much effort for chat when you have bigger problems like the crashes and disconnects! Also you have blacklisted words that are not even inappropriate like names etc plus i'm Greek and when i play with my friend i can't write to him in greeklish (greek words written in english). Keep it clean from cuss etc but when i can't write my own name that's just going to far. You could have like infinite games a language filter and a report method for anyone who removes language filter and uses inappropriate language. It's one thing to want to keep chat clean from inappropriate words and another to choose the exact words one can say. Don't get me wrong i like the game, i like the whole keep chat clean and i can't express how thankful i am(we are) for all the work you've done and do but i'm 26 and i can't speak to my friend and constantly have to rewrite something cause i mistyped(without being inappropriate word! Thank you for everything and i;m not trying to be offensive in any way i'm just trying to give you my opinion as a ling time gamer!
The moderation team is separate from the developers. Moderation doesn't have an impact really on content/bug fixes. Also, if you want to be able to say your name suggest it here: https://piratesforums.co/threads/the-official-whitelist-suggestion-thread.12084/

Hey there Andros!

I understand you want to keep "clean" the chat but so much effort for chat when you have bigger problems like the crashes and disconnects!

We are separate from development, no need to worry there.

Also you have blacklisted words that are not even inappropriate like names etc plus i'm Greek and when i play with my friend i can't write to him in greeklish (greek words written in english).

The whitelist is not the same as the blacklist. If something is not whitelisted, you can recommend it on the appropriate thread to be added. If it was blacklisted, you would receive a warning for saying it.

It's one thing to want to keep chat clean from inappropriate words and another to choose the exact words one can say.

This is the easiest way to ensure the chat is kept clean.

i'm 26 and i can't speak to my friend and constantly have to rewrite something cause i mistyped(without being inappropriate word!

While you may be 26, there are many who are younger, and we wish to keep the chat clean for pirates all around the Caribbean!

Fair winds!

If I understand correctly the way the chat currently works in game....it's not that all those words are 'blacklisted'......more that they haven't specifically been added to the 'whitelist' of approved words. This is partly why it is so restrictive with the current chat and partly why they are changing it, to this much more logical way that's been mentioned in this thread.
In the meantime if there are words you would like putting on the whitelist, you can submit them here https://piratesforums.co/threads/the-official-whitelist-suggestion-thread.12084/ for approval.
The first post has guidelines of what type of thing can/can't be suggested. It would probably be helpful if you were to check in the game chat that the word is still not usable before posting there (just in case it was added since you last tried). As each word has to be added manually to the list, this will save them some time/save adding the same word multiple times by accident.

I mean lets be honest though, you guys are way more strict on the filter than POTCO was which makes no sense. We've all grown up since POTCO and would be open chat so why restrict it more. It's ludicrous.

There could be new younger players and they are trying to expand their player base. So making the game un-kid friendly wouldnt be the best idea. It was fine in the past it should be fine now. If it aint broken dont fix it.

There could be new younger players and they are trying to expand their player base. So making the game un-kid friendly wouldnt be the best idea. It was fine in the past it should be fine now. If it aint broken dont fix it.
Ok if we're going to use that logic then why are they more harsh than disney was? It's almost as bad as club penguin. You would think with the things they ban you they're afraid of the words they hear outside so they control it over the internet.

I mean lets be honest though, you guys are way more strict on the filter than POTCO was which makes no sense. We've all grown up since POTCO and would be open chat so why restrict it more. It's ludicrous.

...which if you read the first post (https://piratesforums.co/threads/mo...erhaul-work-in-progress.19626/)...........you will see that they have listened to player feedback and already decided to change to a more usable format.
I agree with you that some people have grown up since PotCO, but new, younger players are still joining and quite frankly a lot of people like that TLoPO is 'family friendly'.

Ok if we're going to use that logic then why are they more harsh than disney was?

....I didn't play PotCO so can't compare....but I know that TLoPO has to be very careful how they handle things like this. If Disney decided that TLoPO was doing something that reflected badly on them, they have the power to pull the plug on this project completely. I for one would rather mind my P's & Q's than lose the game. :)

Some of the devs and mods have grown up so much since POTCO that they have kids of their own now, so part of the motivation is wanting this to be a game they can play together.

I'm glad you guys are working on this. I found my real life best friend on the original game, and just went to her wedding last month. This extremely strict chats pretty much discourages you from making friends, which I believe the social aspect of this game is important. It makes you feel like you can't say anything, like you can only use a very robotic "Hey Mateys! Good plunder out there! Arrr yarrr yarrr!" phrases.

We're all grown up now. This game should reflect that. If there are any "children" (I highly doubt 10 and under are playing. That would've meant they were like 6 playing the original) left playing, perhaps consider a separate chat for them. Why punish the entire community for a couple people? The movies are PG13, not G.

I want this game to be successful. You guys are working so hard, and we're so proud of you. I'm amazed at this game, and am thankful for all your hard work. But I also see that we NEED a realistic chat, for our own survival. I want this game around for a long time. Are we going to be a bunch of 80 year olds banning each other for saying anything other than "Ahoy! Arr Arr Arrr Pirates Life for me!"?

Some of the devs and mods have grown up so much since POTCO that they have kids of their own now, so part of the motivation is wanting this to be a game they can play together.

I still don't quite understand this thinking. The majority of us are adults. The movies are pG13, a couple almost rated R. We're no longer kids, and this game should reflect that. The chat is rated G for 2nd graders at best.

My boyfriend has two kids (14 and 10) and I want to set them up to start playing with me. But I would never suggest that we should punish an entire community for 2 of my kids playing. If they are old enough to go on a computer, then they're old enough for some of the harmless things that people get banned for in chat.

I bet you that the so-called kids who play this game also play other violent and rated R video games such as Call of Duty, etc, where they are exposed to all kinds of chat. If your kids are playing those types of games, you can't act all high and mighty over a couple of yarrrs and arrrs and garrrs. Heck, they've seen worse things in movies.

If you want your kid to play a wholesome game, by principle it won't be a pirate game. Download Minecraft.

We're pirates not saints. And we're definitely not club penguin.

Last edited:
:iagree: with you ScarlettT....I'd hazard a guess that at least some of the devs do too, but they're trying their best to keep TLoPO open for us . The problem is not with them ...it's not even with Disney in some ways, cos they will happily overlook us as long as we're not causing them problems or infringing on their copyright!

Imagine this scenario....

Little Johnny is a huge fan of pirates, he loves the PotC films and one day he discovers a PotC game online. Johnny's mom is hugely overprotective but she agrees to let him play because she knows that the PotC franchise belongs to Disney and if you can't trust them to entertain your kids in a 'wholesome' way, who can you trust?! But one day someone curses at/in front of Johnny and he starts using this new word at home. Mom is furious to find out that he heard it in his PotC game. Overprotective mom decides to complain to Disney...not realising that in fact this incarnation of the game isn't run by them. Disney are now in uproar because their whole image is based on being 'family friendly' so they decide to use their might ($$$$$$$) to close down TloPO and 'protect' their reputation.

You're right, most kids these days hear bad language and a lot of parents wouldn't be bothered .....I know and you know that the woman in the above scenario is being ridiculously overprotective, but the fact of the matter is, she's the one we need to keep happy, or we risk losing this game. It only takes 1 overprotective mom to cause us problems.

The best way forward now (in my opinion), in light of the decision that's been made regarding in game chat, is to keep a notebook handy. Whenever you get 'Arrr'd' and 'Garrr'd' for innocent conversational words, write them down, then come here and put them on the https://piratesforums.co/threads/the-official-whitelist-suggestion-thread.12084/

...if we all do this eventually the chat will be much more usable :)

Disclaimer: No keyboards were harmed in the production of this wall of text!

Back