My experience after some reserved time.

Kevin Ironbeard

Pirate Apprentice
The alpha updates correct the issues as they describe. They are doing an awesome job, but I feel the need to express my issues, this is my story…

I've heard these could be due to memory leak, but through out my testing they are repeatable across different alpha versions.

I’ve reserved about 4 to 6 (3 hour) time slots and played most of them expect when server was under maintenance. These are the alpha versions I’ve played, 1.12.2, 1.12.3, 1.13.4. My PC is a Win10 OS, Intel Core I5 2nd Gen Processor, 16GB DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon HD6450 1GB DDR3 Graphics, DSL Internet Connection from Indianapolis Indiana. I set graphics to Custom and playing in a Window 1600x900. I tried different setting but it didn't seem to matter. Frame rate is 30-60 fps. Most of my issues relate to entering/exiting the caves/caverns. I read (in these forums) this could be due to memory problems. I have tried the suggestions of using Task Manager to Set Priority of TLOPO.exe to High and Real Time, but I still crash when entering/exiting some caves/caverns.

This list summaries my issues relating to entering/exiting caves/caverns.

Port Royal to King's Run - OK
Port Royal to King's Run to Murky Hollow - OK
Port Royal to King's Run to Murky Hollow to Governor's Garden – tlopo.exe has stopped working
Port Royal to Governor's Garden – OK
Port Royal to Governor's Garden to Murky Hollow – OK
Port Royal to Murky Hollow to Governor's Garden – OK
Port Royal to Governor's Garden to Royal Caverns - OK
Port Royal to Governor's Garden to Royal Caverns to Wicked Thicket – tlopo.exe has stopped working
Tortuga to Wildwoods - OK
Tortuga to Wildwoods to Thieves Den - OK
Tortuga to Wildwoods to Thieves Den to Tortuga Graveyard – tlopo.exe has stopped working
Tortuga to Tortuga Graveyard - OK
Tortuga to Tortuga Graveyard to Thieves Den - OK
Tortuga to Tortuga Graveyard to Rats Nest - OK
Tortuga to Tortuga Graveyard to Rats Nest to Misty Mire - OK
Padres Del Fuego to Beckett's Quarry - OK
Padres Del Fuego to Beckett's Quarry to Catacombs - OK
Padres Del Fuego to Beckett's Quarry to Catacombs than exiting Catacombs to the West on the Map and crashed before I could tell where I was exiting too?
Padres Del Fuego to Beckett's Quarry to - El Sudoron - OK
Padres Del Fuego to Beckett's Quarry to - El Sudoron then exiting South on the Map and crashed before I could tell where I was exiting too?
Padres Del Fuego to Lava Gorge – OK
Padres Del Fuego to Lava Gorge to Catacombs – tlopo.exe has stopped working
Cutthroat Isle to Cutthroat Jungle – My Pirate kept running back and forth between these until I killed the tlopo.exe task.
Isla Tormenta to Cursed Caves - OK
Isla Tormenta to Cursed Caves then Exiting South on the map back to Isla Tormenta – tlopo.exe has stopped working
Ravens Cove to Cave of Lost Souls - OK
Cuba to Pantano River - OK
Cuba to Pantano River back to Cuba - OK
Isla Perdida to Queens Nest - OK
Isla Perdida to Queens Nest then Exiting South on the Map back to Isla Perdida put me back in to Queens Nest

Last edited:
I applaud your patience! :high5: Has this made it to the devs to be checked out yet? If not you should totally email them.

I guess I hoped that posting my alpha experience in this TLOPO Bugs and Glitches would be read by the developers and/or have a forum admin pass this information to them?

Can other players try to get into these caves/caverns and see if they work correctly for them?

1. Port Royal to King's Run to Murky Hollow to Governor's Garden – tlopo.exe has stopped working
2. Port Royal to Governor's Garden to Royal Caverns to Wicked Thicket – tlopo.exe has stopped working
3. Tortuga to Wildwoods to Thieves Den to Tortuga Graveyard – tlopo.exe has stopped working
4. Padres Del Fuego to Beckett's Quarry to Catacombs than exiting Catacombs to the West and crashed before I could tell where I was exiting too?
5. Padres Del Fuego to Beckett's Quarry to - El Sudoron then exiting South on the Map and crashed before I could tell where I was exiting too?
6. Padres Del Fuego to Lava Gorge to Catacombs – tlopo.exe has stopped working
7. Cutthroat Isle to Cutthroat Jungle – My Pirate kept running back and forth between these until I killed the tlopo.exe task.
8. Isla Tormenta to Cursed Caves then Exiting South on the map back to Isla Tormenta – tlopo.exe has stopped working
9. Isla Perdida to Queens Nest then Exiting South on the Map back to Isla Perdida put me back in to Queens Nest

Raven's Cove El Patron's Ship Cave (near the ship)- tlopo.exe has stopped working/experiencing an issue. (either or) I think that is known but I'm not sure.

I guess I hoped that posting my alpha experience in this TLOPO Bugs and Glitches would be read by the developers and/or have a forum admin pass this information to them?

Can other players try to get into these caves/caverns and see if they work correctly for them?

1. Port Royal to King's Run to Murky Hollow to Governor's Garden – tlopo.exe has stopped working
2. Port Royal to Governor's Garden to Royal Caverns to Wicked Thicket – tlopo.exe has stopped working
3. Tortuga to Wildwoods to Thieves Den to Tortuga Graveyard – tlopo.exe has stopped working
4. Padres Del Fuego to Beckett's Quarry to Catacombs than exiting Catacombs to the West and crashed before I could tell where I was exiting too?
5. Padres Del Fuego to Beckett's Quarry to - El Sudoron then exiting South on the Map and crashed before I could tell where I was exiting too?
7. Cutthroat Isle to Cutthroat Jungle – My Pirate kept running back and forth between these until I killed the tlopo.exe task.
8. Isla Tormenta to Cursed Caves then Exiting South on the map back to Isla Tormenta – tlopo.exe has stopped working
9. Isla Perdida to Queens Nest then Exiting South on the Map back to Isla Perdida put me back in to Queens Nest
These crashes may be due to running out of memory - not the actual places themselves (just FYI). In Beta, the developers will work more on optimizing the code which will make the game run smoother and faster which will in turn cause fewer memory crashes. For more information about those, take a peek at this thread - https://piratesforums.co/threads/crashes-caused-by-memory-leak-workaround.11642/.

Either way, the developers are aware of this and have been working on it :)

Last edited:
These crashes may be due to running out of memory - not the actual places themselves (just FYI). In Beta, the developers will work more on optimizing the code which will make the game run smoother and faster which will in turn cause fewer memory crashes. For more information about those, take a peek at this thread - https://piratesforums.co/threads/crashes-caused-by-memory-leak-workaround.11642/.

Either way, the developers are aware of this and have been working on it for a while now :)
How many of those areas are actually finished? I've crashed in 2 of the spots where he did too, and I tested those twice.

Either way, the developers are aware of this and have been working on it :)

Cheysa Finn,
I saw that post and tried that solution but it didn't help, I thought I stated that in my experience.

I'd be happy to check them out on my next run! It'll be fun to explore anyway. I'll post the results here. :)

A quick write-up of my findings over the past 2 hours:

1. Port Royal to King's Run to Murky Hollow to Governor's Garden – Loaded to 5%, then sent to blackscreen with game UI (notoriety, etc.), then "Tlopo.exe has stopped working."

2. Port Royal to Governor's Garden to Royal Caverns to Wicked Thicket – Loaded a bit, then sent to blackscreen with game UI (notoriety, etc.), then "Tlopo.exe has stopped working."

3. Tortuga to Wildwoods to Thieves Den to Tortuga Graveyard – Loaded to 5%, then sent to blackscreen with game UI (notoriety, etc.), then "Tlopo.exe has stopped working."

4. Padres Del Fuego to Beckett's Quarry to Catacombs than exiting Catacombs to the West and crashed before I could tell where I was exiting too? – Made it to Catacombs entrance, loaded to 5% transitioning into Catacombs, same blackscreen with the UI, then "Tlopo.exe has stopped working." Did not make it past the Catacombs.

5. Padres Del Fuego to Beckett's Quarry to - El Sudoron then exiting South on the Map and crashed before I could tell where I was exiting too? -- Same situation as #4, made it to El Sudoron's entrance, loaded to 5% transitioning into El Sudoron, same blackscreen with the UI, then "Tlopo.exe has stopped working." Did not make it past El Sudoron.

6. Padres Del Fuego to Lava Gorge to Catacombs – Loaded to 27%, then sent to blackscreen with game UI (notoriety, etc.), then "Tlopo.exe has stopped working."

7. Cutthroat Isle to Cutthroat Jungle – No issue. Jungle loaded fine.

8. Isla Tormenta to Cursed Caves then Exiting South on the map back to Isla Tormenta – Loaded a bit, then sent to blackscreen with game UI (notoriety, etc.), then "Tlopo.exe has stopped working."

9. Isla Perdida to Queens Nest then Exiting South on the Map back to Isla Perdida put me back in to Queens Nest -- This one's kinda weird. At first I entered the south entrance to Queens nest - Worked fine. I then exited Queen's nest to the North - loaded Perdida (sort of) then sent me back into the North entrance as if I'd run back through it. I then attempted exiting through the south entrance -- same issue, sort of loaded Perdida then reloaded Queen's nest as if I'd walked back in. I then reloaded so I could try actually entering from the north -- worked fine. So, what I've found is:
a. All entrances to Queen's nest work great.
b. All exits from Queen's nest (not counting logging out) are completely broken. There is no escape. XD

In Beta, the developers will work more on optimizing the code which will make the game run smoother and faster which will in turn cause fewer memory crashes.
I see.Can devs fix the folowing:everytime i try to logout i got dc,everytime i create a pirate and try to play with it for the first time i dc multiple times.

Charimia98, Thanks you for your time and effort in locating these caves and caverns as they take time to get too. I wish they worked correctly for you, but it sounds like we had similar issues with these caves. I hope the developers can find some time to look into why the game crashes around these island and caves. Kevin Ironbeard

Back